advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Le Creuset is obviously much more affordable than Coravin. But Vacu Vin is more affordable than Le Creuset -- anyone tried Vacu Vin?

I have a VacuVin, which works fine if I'm expecting to have a bottle open for >48 hours or so. If I'm going to drink the rest within around a day of opening, though, I just reinsert the cork, or put in the VacuVin stopper without pumping out the air. I have this notion that reducing the pressure of air in the bottle will tend to increase the vapour pressure of the wine in the bottle, and that will encourage the more volatile compounds to evaporate, to the detriment of flavour. No idea if that actually happens in practice, but it seems logical to me, so I'd only use the VacuVin with the pump when the bottle was going to be open for ~72 hours or more.

Edit, and wouldn't expect a VacuVinned bottle to remain good for a week: 4-5 days would be my working limit.

After finding small puddles of wine on the bottom of the cooler from bottles having been left on their side overnight when plugged with rubber air pump stoppers on several occasions, my brain poked me in the back and said ‘Oi, dimbo! This never happens when you extract the cork with a Butler’s Friend and ram it back in afterwards - have you considered that if the ramming method is more wine-tight it may well be more air-tight too?’

If you want to experience depressing, there are middle-aged men comparing different makes of jeans on another thread.
Asda jeans £10-£16.

If I bought wine at £8-9 then I might bung the cork back in,
thinking it would be no worse but at say £15-20 that would
be a travesty.
Even the Bible is against it John2.1-11.
"And the Lord said give them the new wine"

Last edited:
As an experiment Ségla corked some of the 2010 and screwed the rest. Some opine the screwed ones taste 'fresher'.
Don't know whether they taste better on the following day...but am sure they cost more than £20.

Screw top (or Stelvin closures to use their smart name) work just fine, and make absolute sense for day-to-day wines. There has been a lot of experimentation to see if they work for 'laying-down' wines over the longer term, including, I think, by Lafite Rothschild. The consensus seems to be, as you said, to hold a little more 'freshness'. New Zealand wines are almost entirely bottled under Stelvin now. I'm personally pro-cork for more serious/ageworthy wines, not least because there's a big lump of the Portugese rural economy that relies upon the cork industry, with no obvious alternative. They've cleaned up their act too. We rarely see TCA affected wines now, whereas at one point 20 odd years ago it could be as much as 1 or 2 per dozen.

I'm looking at my Dog Point PN 2017 on CT and thinking about opening a bottle today or tomorrow.
The latest comment lists 12 aromas and ends with 'complex nose': Wow you certainly have. Might even be more than 12 as one is 'blossoms'...which blossoms I wonder ?
Then lists 8 tastes. Might even be more as one is 'herbs'...which herbs I wonder ?
I was dead impressed until I noticed it is 'provencial herbs'. Is he calling New Zealand provincial ? Or does he mean provençal ?
Are there really people that can detect a dozen aromas in a glass ? And break down taste at least 8 ways ?

My glamorous assistant Katie can. She can smell things I've never even heard of in a glass of wine.

I'm looking at my Dog Point PN 2017 on CT and thinking about opening a bottle today or tomorrow.
The latest comment lists 12 aromas and ends with 'complex nose': Wow you certainly have. Might even be more than 12 as one is 'blossoms'...which blossoms I wonder ?
Then lists 8 tastes. Might even be more as one is 'herbs'...which herbs I wonder ?
I was dead impressed until I noticed it is 'provencial herbs'. Is he calling New Zealand provincial ? Or does he mean provençal ?
Are there really people that can detect a dozen aromas in a glass ? And break down taste at least 8 ways ?

Perhaps that’s why I prefer the Scandinavian notes that I don’t understand. I mean, who wants to know about ruby colour, farmyard funk and crunchy fruit when you can have

‘nydelig - bedre end 2010 årgangen nu’

...which sounds interesting, or

‘Ingen smak å doft p g a Covid’

...which has a downright sinister air if you ask me, or

‘Passert like fantastisk til lmmelåret i år igjen! Lite tanniner mye smak. Fin ettersmak!’

...which feels so enthusiastic I’m tempted to get one of my bottles of 2008 Tondonia from the cellar right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back