advertisement

Chord Mojo thread

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I wish you lot would just say the Mojo 2 is pure rubbish... I have zero need for one but now I want one lol

Tried the Mojo in the car yesterday. Made a significant improvement in the sound quality. Qobuz>iPhone>Mojo>Aux into car stereo. Luckily I'm using an older car with an Aux input, so wired connection is easy.

Far superior than using your phone connected direct to the Aux input. This is how I used to listen to music in the car. Later on I bought a Poly & connected it this way to ease moving it about in the car. Unfortunately of more recent years the car has changed & no longer has an Aux input. Very frustrating :( So frustrating that I bought a Bluetooth sender/receiver that I thought I may be able to attach to it's output & sync with the Bluetooth infotainment system. Bought this probably at least a year ago & still haven't tried it out!

I wish you lot would just say the Mojo 2 is pure rubbish... I have zero need for one but now I want one lol
Took the plunge on the Summer offer & got a free Audioquest USB-C cable bundled in :)

Just arrived today & doing some A-B testing with the Mojo. Have to say out of the box it' is better as I remember, listening to one last year.
Gotta say the Mojo still sounds very good. The bass is stronger & more pronounced & perhaps just overhangs a little making it a bit blurred & masking the finer details that the Mojo 2 easily musters up.

My local Richer Sounds only had a display model in stock so I didn't get to bring one home. Still, should arrive tomorrow :)

My Mojo 2 arrived and I'm taking it for a test drive as I type. In a word, it's superb!

I've connected it to my Pixel 6a via USB-C to USB micro and music just sounds great. The Mojo can totally drive my HD650s no problem. I haven't done any faffing around with settings so I take it I'm hearing music with no crossfeed or EQ adjustment... and I might never get round to faffing around as it sounds so good straight out the box.

I think this might turn out to be one of my best losses of willpower ever :D

EDIT: I'd been using my Amptastic as a headphone amp but not so much lately because of the Addis pad discovery and also because it had been said that I could accidentally fry the HD650's coils by having it connected directly to the Amptastic's speaker terminals. All of which is to say I think the Amptastic is going back in its box for the time being as the Mojo has enough sonic magic - and enough power - to take over as my go-to headphone amp.

Oh, forgot to say I bought one of these 1.2m cables to use, rather than the 3m stock cable which, when you're sitting on the couch, is a tad cumbersome.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Folks, has anyone used one of these with Audeze headphones ? Or more specifically the LCD-2 Classics ?

Google gives conflicting views on whether the Mojo has enough juice.

Thanks

Folks, has anyone used one of these with Audeze headphones ? Or more specifically the LCD-2 Classics ?

Google gives conflicting views on whether the Mojo has enough juice.

Thanks
The Mojo has more than enough juice for most phones. So much so it is easy to blow them up if you turn the unit mistakenly on with the previously set line level setting (easily done). On my Mojo 1 this happened & blew up one channel of my Grado 325 phones :( I told Chord this & they were very apologetic about it but offered no remittance in any way. Of course the Mojo does have a safety feature where if set to line level (the Mojo pre-set setting) it will revert to headphone level the next time it is switched on in headphone listing mode, however they neglect to tell you this feature does not work if the line level is "tampered" with by small adjustments with the volume buttons!

Now this feature, not unsurprisingly has been removed from the Mojo 2. So if you want line level you have to dial it in manually.

LCD-2 requires 35.22mw power, 1.26 RMS voltage and 28 RMS mA for a deafening 110db so the mojo2 can power them in its sleep.

Incidentally, I never really saw the point of having two headphone sockets to allow two people to listen to the same music at the same time. It almost seemed like a fad borrowed from the '80s... until I saw somebody mention elsewhere that the two sockets allow you to compare headphones. Suddenly two sockets make sense!

Another new owner here as a result of the offer/this thread.
Went for a full Mojo/Poly/case bundle from Richer with the case arriving a week later as they were out of stock.
Still finding what works best, but would like some shared experience on Android vs. iOS and general best practice please.

I gather that the Gofigure app is better than it was, but it is still not the slickest thing out there so am also checking what it is actually good for.

Firstly, switching between (Android) phone and iPad: getting Gofigure to reconnect to Poly if the connection is dropped can sometimes take a few restarts of the app and the Mojo, and/or connecting to iPad after phone, works more successfully if phone is powered off. Even if it is not showing as connected in Bluetooth on the phone there seems to be some retained pairing, is that plausible?
As I understand it, the initial connection of Gofigure to Poly is purely a Bluetooth thing and so should be pretty robust irrespective of network connectivity. But if the network is marginal (and Airplane mode has not been selected) does this impact on how successfully the two pair?

Other than setup, Gofigure is used for radio station playback (and sd card I assume, not tried that yet), but otherwise does not need to be active as far as I can see. That said, I am preferring radio 3 bit perfect from Gofigure, over Airplay from BBC Sounds. Playing from Sounds is easier on the iPad as it Airplays direct from the Sounds app, but I do find it thinner and more sibilant, I’m guessing due to it going via the iOS volume control - is there a way of getting bit perfect via Airplay?

Conversely, I don’t think I can get playback from BBC Sounds on Android (via Poly which is what I am exploring currently, rather than plugging phone into Mojo). Yes I can use Gofigure for live radio play back, but not catch-up. Any solutions on how to do that?
Bluetooth playback is not something I have got to work as yet.

Next streaming: again Qobuz will play direct from the app, via Airplay, on iPad. On Android, BubbleUPnP works but not playback direct from the Qobuz app (same with Spotify). But again, is BubbleUPnP giving bit perfect where Airplay isn’t?

Then lastly, are there some cases where the control device can be turned off, or need not stay in range of the network, after playback has been started, and others where the signal is routed via the control device? For listening to radio in the garden, it appeared more important to maintain good network connection to the Poly/Mojo than to the phone.

Thank you! And yes sounding good even through some cheap Sony in-ears, proper ‘phones on the way.

Incidentally, I never really saw the point of having two headphone sockets to allow two people to listen to the same music at the same time. It almost seemed like a fad borrowed from the '80s... until I saw somebody mention elsewhere that the two sockets allow you to compare headphones. Suddenly two sockets make sense!
I agree with that, I brought this up with Chord too & there answer was that they thought it would be useful & they could, so they did. Only downside is both phones have to be the same for equal output. Personally for safety reason I'd rather see a line level output.

Another new owner here as a result of the offer/this thread.
Went for a full Mojo/Poly/case bundle from Richer with the case arriving a week later as they were out of stock.
Still finding what works best, but would like some shared experience on Android vs. iOS and general best practice please.

I gather that the Gofigure app is better than it was, but it is still not the slickest thing out there so am also checking what it is actually good for.

Firstly, switching between (Android) phone and iPad: getting Gofigure to reconnect to Poly if the connection is dropped can sometimes take a few restarts of the app and the Mojo, and/or connecting to iPad after phone, works more successfully if phone is powered off. Even if it is not showing as connected in Bluetooth on the phone there seems to be some retained pairing, is that plausible?
As I understand it, the initial connection of Gofigure to Poly is purely a Bluetooth thing and so should be pretty robust irrespective of network connectivity. But if the network is marginal (and Airplane mode has not been selected) does this impact on how successfully the two pair?

Other than setup, Gofigure is used for radio station playback (and sd card I assume, not tried that yet), but otherwise does not need to be active as far as I can see. That said, I am preferring radio 3 bit perfect from Gofigure, over Airplay from BBC Sounds. Playing from Sounds is easier on the iPad as it Airplays direct from the Sounds app, but I do find it thinner and more sibilant, I’m guessing due to it going via the iOS volume control - is there a way of getting bit perfect via Airplay?

Conversely, I don’t think I can get playback from BBC Sounds on Android (via Poly which is what I am exploring currently, rather than plugging phone into Mojo). Yes I can use Gofigure for live radio play back, but not catch-up. Any solutions on how to do that?
Bluetooth playback is not something I have got to work as yet.

Next streaming: again Qobuz will play direct from the app, via Airplay, on iPad. On Android, BubbleUPnP works but not playback direct from the Qobuz app (same with Spotify). But again, is BubbleUPnP giving bit perfect where Airplay isn’t?

Then lastly, are there some cases where the control device can be turned off, or need not stay in range of the network, after playback has been started, and others where the signal is routed via the control device? For listening to radio in the garden, it appeared more important to maintain good network connection to the Poly/Mojo than to the phone.

Thank you! And yes sounding good even through some cheap Sony in-ears, proper ‘phones on the way.
I can't answer all your questions, it's been a while since I have used my Poly since I bought it primarily for car use since it negated any leads to the phone & one could use it's storage facility for offline listening. Originally this was paired with an iphone & works so much more easily with apples Airplay since it connects directly. Android is just a pain in the tooth as you need a third party app to be set-up to transfer your music which quite frankly I never found easy with streaming services since I now have an android phone which is one reason for its lack of use.

The Gofigure app is the way to go & more user friendly when coming to set-up the Poly rather than using the Mojo/Poly to do this, which you can if you want.

Hope this has been of some use, I know it's not much but in the "famous" words of the Lock picking lawyer, that's all I have for you now & have a nice day!

On Android here - I used Gofigure for setting up, but BubbleUPNP for the music playing interface - takes a little setting up but you can play local files (network and sdcard), Tidal, internet radio stations once set up.

I don’t think I can get playback from BBC Sounds on Android

To render internet radio in BubbleUPNP select the Playlist panel. In the top right corner of the screen click on the three dots. In the dropdown menu you will see 'Add stream URL'. Enter whatever radio stream url you wish then you can then save it as a playlist, and your various radio stations appear in the playlist.

advertisement

Back