advertisement

Chord Mojo thread

The Mojo is comfortably better than any of my Integrated amplifiers DAC's (Hegel H95/Arcam SA20/Audiolab 6000A/Cyrus ONE Cast). I have only used it like this in flat EQ as there was no need to tamper with it. As you can adjust EQ you can make it essentially sound as you like. I just focused in my 'review' on HP's as this is what I bought it for.

The Arcam's DAC is a higher end ESS one and heard on its own, is very nice. The Chord is clearly better and I would guess most would agree. It removes a digital sheen, has more body, more slam and lovely bass. The only area were they are probably equal is stereo width.

Where the ceiling is regarding where an Integrated Amplifier's DAC (or external DAC) is better I don't know.

I used my Mojo in my main hi-fi for a good while, constantly turned on. That does decreased the life of the battery and not so long ago I put a new battery in it. It was very easy to do. I've recently got a Mojo 2 and it's more of the same just better. I have a Qutest in the hi-fi now so I won't be putting the Mojo 2 into the hi-fi. But I can definitely say the Mojo 1 beat the DAC in my Cyrus XPd very easily. A very noticeable improvement with the Mojo on DAC duties instead of the pre-amp's internal one.

Have you replaced a Mojo mk1 with it? Would appreciate your thoughts if so.
I have replaced my Mojo with a Mojo 2. I only use mine for headphones these days though after moving to a Qutest for main hi-fi duties.

I would say the new version is more of the same but a little improved. The EQ, sorry DSP, is actually very useful with my Noble Kaiser Encore IEMs as there's a weird mid-band issue with them and the Mojo 2 lets me push that range around until it suits. The DSP is totally lossless too, Chord says.

I haven't done a proper comparison between the two Mojos; I liked the new one more and put the old one in a drawer. However it's only a slight improvement, not night and dark.

How does Mojo compare to 2Qute or Qutest in a speaker based system?
The Mojo 1 was very good in my hi-fi. Better than the internal DAC in my Cyrus XPD by a large margin. Very noticeable. When I changed the Mojo 1 for the Qutest I got another improvement in sound quality, but nowhere near the difference between the Cyrus and the Mojo.

I can't report on how Mojo 2 sounds in hi-fi as I'll probably never use it. I have read though that Mojo 2 - it's been said - is close to Qutest quality when used in a hi-fi. Bonus with Mojo 2 is it has an auto off for the battery when plugged in. So no more killing Mojo batteries by leaving them plugged in. Which is what I did to mine. Having said that, fitting a new battery was very easy. Took 15 minutes. And only that as I was being very careful pulling the two halves of the Mojo case apart.

Fantastic thing. Not one regret.

Maybe an iFi unit matches or surpasses it, I don't know and I don't really care.

The Mojo 1 was very good in my hi-fi. Better than the internal DAC in my Cyrus XPD by a large margin. Very noticeable. When I changed the Mojo 1 for the Qutest I got another improvement in sound quality, but nowhere near the difference between the Cyrus and the Mojo.

I can't report on how Mojo 2 sounds in hi-fi as I'll probably never use it. I have read though that Mojo 2 - it's been said - is close to Qutest quality when used in a hi-fi. Bonus with Mojo 2 is it has an auto off for the battery when plugged in. So no more killing Mojo batteries by leaving them plugged in. Which is what I did to mine. Having said that, fitting a new battery was very easy. Took 15 minutes. And only that as I was being very careful pulling the two halves of the Mojo case apart.
Put one on mine too ,a 2150 mah battery , £13 from Ali express and last s a lot longer , but takes longer to charge too obvs

Well, it would seem my thoughts differ to others here. At Canjam last year I compared my Mojo to the Mojo 2 with my Audioquest Nighthawk headphones. I have to say just a few minutes of comparison I quickly packed my Mojo away & didn't bother with it again. The Mojo 2 had much superior soundstage, width & liveliness. It had a sparkle & openess that the Mojo just didn't seem to have. I think it was clear that the DSP came into play here but I really didn't bother to check how it was set up. Since I have 3 Mojo's (don't ask) I was going to trade two of them in for the Mojo 2 as the transformation for me was so obviously much greater. It just made the Mojo sound plain, flat, a little lifeless & 2 dimensional. However I've since spent most of my spare cash on other upgrades so the Mojo 2 will just have to wait a little longer.

Reactions: RoA
Everything Headphonia seems to shoot up in cost. Amazing Chord are still selling the Mojo at this price.

I have a balanced FiiO RC-UE2B cable with a 2.5mm connector for a set of IEMs. If I bought a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor, would I be able to use them with the Mojo 2 without issue? I did ask Chord but never got a reply...

advertisement

Back