advertisement

CD players of yesteryear

Creek CD60

Or, maybe, any machine using a Philips TDA 1541A. There are a lot of those, since it used to "just be a DAC chip" that you could order by the ka-jillions.

Yes, like the excellent Arcam 70/70.2 or the Quad 66, or even the superb Beogram CD5500, another careful implementation of the Philips chipset.
There are so many.

Is it not quite high jitter?

I only know jitter when it is removed. What I can say is that it makes no attempt to sound detailed, or to present a wide soundstage. It just makes musicians sound as if they are playing together, rather than clever recording.

I did have a CD 63 KI Signature at one point. It was a gift.Apart from the shining copper I wasn’t really convinced and sold it on. Some believe it to be a classic though.

Indeed they do, which is why I've hung on to mine, although I much prefer the sound produced by the earlier CD74 with the twin TDA1540 chips and of course the seemingly indestructible battleship transport/laser that is the Philips CDM2. Although I wish it had the speed of access to TOC and smoothness of operation of Sony's BU-1 ES models.

Indeed they do, which is why I've hung on to mine, although I much prefer the sound produced by the earlier CD74 with the twin TDA1540 chips and of course the seemingly indestructible battleship transport/laser that is the Philips CDM2. Although I wish it had the speed of access to TOC and smoothness of operation of Sony's BU-1 ES models.
The CD74 uses the CDM-1 not CDM-2.

The version of the CDM-1 used in the CD94 etc is very nearly as pleasingly smooth as a BU-1. Completely different loading mechanism to the CD74/84.

I have an old top-midrange Philips that blows me away with its, well, everything! Incredible soundstaging. A really lovely deck. That is when it works properly! It has a couple of dry solder joints at the output which look like a major to get to & rectify, & I just don't have the time or interest in doing it myself.

I have an old top-midrange Philips that blows me away with its, well, everything! Incredible soundstaging. A really lovely deck. That is when it works properly! It has a couple of dry solder joints at the output which look like a major to get to & rectify, & I just don't have the time or interest in doing it myself.

so get it fixed? :) Loads of folks on here willing to help, if you’re in Switzerland including me. My whole hobby has become somehow keeping decent kit out of landfill - we think the latest and greatest is the best, oftentimes it is not - just a rehash of older tech made even cheaper ;)

Have a Grundig CD8400 MKll here, another great TDA1541 equipped CDP as well as a couple of Rotel RCD-965BXs.
My favourite CDP is my Quad 99CDP-2, not old enough to be a classic yet but give it a few more years.
TS

My Linn Ikemi and Meridian 507 still put in a stunning performance, and to be fair the Rotel RCD-965BX and it’s successor the RCD-971 put in a great performance for very little money, they’re not in the same class as the Linn and Meridian but the 971 is very, very close to my Naim CD5i. I’ve still kept the Naim despite having those other superb machines because… well I still like it, it looks cool with my Naim amp and i like the swing out mech… anyway I’m digressing, any of the above machines, that’s why I have them and still use them… the Ikemi, albeit at quite a notable price premium, is the standout machine, really special.

so get it fixed? :) Loads of folks on here willing to help, if you’re in Switzerland including me. My whole hobby has become somehow keeping decent kit out of landfill - we think the latest and greatest is the best, oftentimes it is not - just a rehash of older tech made even cheaper ;)
I’m in NZ. Not a great place to find CD techs.

advertisement

Back