advertisement

CD players of yesteryear

The CD7 came out after Philips stopped producing decent mechs and so is unfortunately let down by a cheap laser.

I've spent some time with one and no doubt it is a wonderful player. I found it was a very resolving and exciting listen but ultimately I prefer the CD12+DA12, which I find more natural and musical.

Last edited:
I have a marantz 73 and a 63 their versions of the first Philips players. Still sound great but probably more visual and historical appeal for me being honest

I have a black and champagne one boxed with instructions. Sadly the lasers are tired on both. I had heard they can’t really be fixed but not sure if that’s true. The 73 works great and the 80s light bar makes me smile every time!

The laser itself is very unlikely to be at fault. It is much more likely to be a capacitor failure.

I still have my Marantz CD10, boxed and with manual and remote. I keep thinking about one day comparing it to my rips but somehow never get around to to it.

Sony CDP-338ESD, makes CD enjoyable!
Jeez, I have one of these I bought used in 1992. it's on extended loan with a friend. I liked it's multi-bitness. I also ran it with an Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0 HDCD DAC. Then I changed to Arcam Alpha 7CD with the DAC. than naked. The Alpha 7 CD aced the Sony 338ESd for music. I don't think that's a massive endorsement for such a beautifully-made player.

evaluated through Nait 2 or 72/Hi/250, both through ES11s.

My few cents worth:

Exceptional CDP of yesteryear is the 'plastic fantastic', the Philips CD-502. 16 bit, TDA1541, cheap as chips. Not the tidiest presentation, but all the fun. Just NZD399 back in the late 80's. On top of a Mana table, about the closest thing to a Naim CDS on Soundorg. I have two of them (one out on loan). Somehow, Philips really captured the magic in that machine.

Arcam Alpha 5+ CD. That timed well. Not too polite, not too fussy, relatively fun to listen to.

Naim Audio CDX (olive). The first CDP I heard that I knew I could live with and enjoy, timed and swung like a late-80's spec LP12/Ittok/Valhalla (pre-Cirkus).

Naim Audio CD3. Timed brilliantly, dug into the music, didn't sugar-coat anything. Better than the CD3.5 that followed, that did some things better, seemed a little fuller but somehow lost a bit of the magic while introducing the Naim PSU upgrade path.

Rega Planet. Fun. A bit better than the Alpha 5+ CD.

also-rans
The Rotel RCD-955 (BX?) was better than the 965BX, it timed better though was a little less polite. There are much better older CDPs to be bothering with than these once highly-rated players. They're better than the Marantz CD-63 KI Sig, too (overrated IMHO).

My few cents worth:

Exceptional CDP of yesteryear is the 'plastic fantastic', the Philips CD-502. 16 bit, TDA1541, cheap as chips. Not the tidiest presentation, but all the fun. Just NZD399 back in the late 80's. On top of a Mana table, about the closest thing to a Naim CDS on Soundorg. I have two of them (one out on loan). Somehow, Philips really captured the magic in that machine.
I have a couple of them. They are the ugliest things ever! However, they sound good, play anything, & seem to work forever. One ($40 from Cash Converters) was my mainstay for donkeys years.

A few months ago I snapped up another. It was less effort than excavating the other from my spare room! I need to put some stickier feet on it as it moves on the shelf whenever I press the open/close button!

I have three or four broken CDPs, all much more expensive in their days.

My few cents worth:

Arcam Alpha 5+ CD. That timed well. Not too polite, not too fussy, relatively fun to listen to.

Naim Audio CDX (olive). The first CDP I heard that I knew I could live with and enjoy, timed and swung like a late-80's spec LP12/Ittok/Valhalla (pre-Cirkus).

Naim Audio CD3. Timed brilliantly, dug into the music, didn't sugar-coat anything. Better than the CD3.5 that followed, that did some things better, seemed a little fuller but somehow lost a bit of the magic while introducing the Naim PSU upgrade path.

Rega Planet. Fun. A bit better than the Alpha 5+ CD.

also-rans
The Rotel RCD-955 (BX?) was better than the 965BX, it timed better though was a little less polite. There are much better older CDPs to be bothering with than these once highly-rated players. They're better than the Marantz CD-63 KI Sig, too (overrated IMHO).

According to the Dutch Audio Classics' website, the Philips CD502 uses the TDA 1543?

BTW, have you found anything, current or historic, more musically satisfying than the Naim CDS?

thanks for the correction re the TDA chip, lads.
BTW, have you found anything, current or historic, more musically satisfying than the Naim CDS?

I never quite got the CDS, though I appreciated what it did. Like that great girlfriend that you never fell in love with; she was talented, intelligent, funny, attractive... but not *the one*. The CDS2 for me had the pace and timing of CDX+XPS, *and* the magic, so I had one - I fell in love. The CDS3/XPS2 that I replaced the CDS2 with was the most musically satisfying CDP I ever owned, had it from 2003 to 2020.

thanks for the correction re the TDA chip, lads.

I never quite got the CDS, though I appreciated what it did. Like that great girlfriend that you never fell in love with; she was talented, intelligent, funny, attractive... but not *the one*. The CDS2 for me had the pace and timing of CDX+XPS, *and* the magic, so I had one - I fell in love. The CDS3/XPS2 that I replaced the CDS2 with was the most musically satisfying CDP I ever owned, had it from 2003 to 2020.

Thanks, very interesting.

I preferred Naim's first-gen players across the board, though I do have (and like, compared to many) the CDSII. I also have a CD555DR, which is also very good compared to most (as it should be given its price tag!), but, ultimately, it confirmed what I had suspected for sometime; namely (no pun intended!) that I prefer Vereker era Naim to post-Vereker. The CDS3 is the only Naim flagship that I haven't heard...

FWIW, for me, the CDS, for all its limitations/flaws, offers the best timing, and makes more sense out of music than any other player/DAC I've heard to date; it is the most engaging, involving, and therefore enjoyable, but I still have to add the caveat 'for CD'.

Would I be correct in thinking that you have switched to streaming?

Strangely or not, I traded my CDI in for the CDS2 after a couple of dems. After living with the CDS2 for a number of months, I actually missed the CDI and wished that I had it back. That was in an all-active SBL based system. Crazy business. :(

advertisement

Back