advertisement

CD players of yesteryear

Miller-8

pfm Member
Which CD players of the distant past do you think would still hold up today against today's many awesome DACs?

Kenwood DP-7090?
Sony CDP 715?

Micromega Stage 3 — better than my ESS Sabre DAC. Plain old Philips Bitstream, just wonderfully implemented.

That said, I’ve been listening to my first gen. Philips CD202 clone lately (late 1983) and I heard music too :)

I’ve always wondered why they got so bad reviews 40 years ago. The discs themselves?

Which CD players of the distant past do you think would still hold up today against today's many awesome DACs?

Kenwood DP-7090?
Sony CDP 715?

Why on earth would you pick out the Sony CDP-715? Sony made loads of amazing high-end CD players. The 715 is just a budget player.

Rotel RCD-965BX. As I recently mentioned in another thread, installed my old one temporarily after returning a Chord Hugo TT2, and was genuinely astonished how well it held up.

Naim CDI too. I’d love to get another one at some point.

A list as Long as your arm - mostly well implemented TDA1541 implementations - I have 5 or 6 in collection, with Naim CDI being the best (modified). For non-TDA1541 I would call out the Stage 3 mentioned above. And a Mercacus Imagio if you like high end bling :) All from my own collection…which really should be thinned down!

The broadcast Studer machines are a must-have but rare. I’d love to find a broken one – my whole collection was amassed like that – but I’m not holding my breath…

advertisement

Back