advertisement

CD players of yesteryear

My favourite stand alone player is the Marantz CD94 MkII (I owned 2 at different points) but I wish I still had one to compare to my Meridian 508 (which for me is endgame as I'm ripping all my CDs anyway).

My favourite stand alone player is the Marantz CD94 MkII (I owned 2 at different points) but I wish I still had one to compare to my Meridian 508 (which for me is endgame as I'm ripping all my CDs anyway).
A very fine choice indeed. Either that or a Sony CDP-555esd. They're equally wonderful.

There's certainly something special about the CDI, and the elicit similar responses - nothing else sounds like them.

Yes, I've moved to streaming. Proof-of-concept began with ND5XS, then expanded to include XPS and HiLine... I sold the CDS3 when an NDX came along (NDX/XPS/HiLine)... it was swings-and-roundabouts; some of the CDS3's sweetness and finesse was lost, though resolution and some heft was added (overall it was very good but not brilliant). Now I run NDS/XPS/HiLine, it's certainly the best digital frontend I've had at home in my lounge. My XPS needs a recap or DR.

I recall being quite taken with the Philips CD850 MKII on release. Soon found that the bitstream thing was a bit soft, lacked the grip of the good 16 bit Philips TDA-based players.

advertisement

Back