advertisement

CD players of yesteryear

Micromega Stage 3 — better than my ESS Sabre DAC. Plain old Philips Bitstream, just wonderfully implemented.

That said, I’ve been listening to my first gen. Philips CD202 clone lately (late 1983) and I heard music too :)

I’ve always wondered why they got so bad reviews 40 years ago. The discs themselves?
I still have the micromega stage 6. Bad reviews due to philips laser transport sticking.

I still have the micromega stage 6. Bad reviews due to philips laser transport sticking.

ah, but sorry - comparing a Stage 3 with a 6 is not that helpful; 6 was a 5 with a clock. 3 was a complete upgrade to the 2 (admittedly without the clock). I’ve never had a 6 in my system, but cannot imagine it beats the 3 (I have a 3 with clock upgrade welded on)

Think I’ve had 5 Stage players through my hands now, all needed new lasers…well, I fitted new lasers to fix them. When replacement mechs get too expensive/unreliable I’ll have a go at cleaning/regreasing the old mechs which I labeled and kept.

Interestingly I think I have got to the bottom of the 'no disc' issue with my Drive 3. This transport goes into 'warm-up' mode for about 3 mins after switch on. When the machine 'wakes up', if you then play discs continuously it is fine, but if you leave it idle for 10 mins it goes into stand-by mode. If you then press say the tray open button, it wakes up and opens the tray. Insert a disc and close the tray, it will then say 'no disc'. If however, you wake it up from stand-by mode using the stand-by button on the remote, then open, insert disc, close and press play it then will play the disc.

Interestingly I think I have got to the bottom of the 'no disc' issue with my Drive 3. This transport goes into 'warm-up' mode for about 3 mins after switch on. When the machine 'wakes up', if you then play discs continuously it is fine, but if you leave it idle for 10 mins it goes into stand-by mode. If you then press say the tray open button, it wakes up and opens the tray. Insert a disc and close the tray, it will then say 'no disc'. If however, you wake it up from stand-by mode using the stand-by button on the remote, then open, insert disc, close and press play it then will play the disc.

Sounds like weird French logic built into the ROM :) What happens if you press stop on front panel before opening tray?

Ye olde Denon DCD1500ii was another stunner in its day and I reckon it would hold up very well today.
Meridian 207, absolutely dominated on sound quality and build quality.
Dark horse of the much later Restek Concret, the only thing I heard for myself that actually bettered it by some margin was the Mark Levinson, at its very hefty price tag.
My still-here Meridian 506.24 is also very fine indeed for its class.

Sounds like weird French logic built into the ROM :) What happens if you press stop on front panel before opening tray?
Don't know, I will have to 'pause' for thought on that one!
My late version doesn’t do that. Different ROM version I suppose.
Mine has a piece of paper over the window with a number hand written on it. Will have to look as I think it is 'Ver 3.something'...

Why on earth would you pick out the Sony CDP-715? Sony made loads of amazing high-end CD players. The 715 is just a budget player.

Because during its very brief production life in the mid nineties, it was the budget CD player.

The production run was brief because (as I understand it) Sony couldn't afford the chipset for very long, and/or the Kobe earthquake drove the price too high for them to continue.

I've owned a 715E (now with a friend who loves it), and now run a 915E (bigger PSU) in a second system. Preferred at the time to my 965BX, which was a little too cuddly in comparison.

The broadcast Studer machines are a must-have but rare. I’d love to find a broken one – my whole collection was amassed like that – but I’m not holding my breath…
I recently bought a A727 that was rescued from the trash!
I'm half way through the rebuild now. Working on this player is such a pleasure.

Why on earth would you pick out the Sony CDP-715? Sony made loads of amazing high-end CD players. The 715 is just a budget player.

Wasn't this the one that reviewer Paul Miller raved about at one stage (and hence, became flavour of the month...); a budget player that bettered everything he'd heard to date (or some such)?

I tried the big brother, the 915E... meh.

advertisement

Back