advertisement

Brexit next week: give me a positive effect it will have on my daily life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the fishing bit. So Norway flexes its muscles in the annual negotiations with the EU and still exports most of its fish to the EU. But UK will not be able to do similar.

The article clearly states that we can if we think it’s worth getting a worse deal in other areas. The fishing industry creates 0.1% of UK GDP.

Historic moment,

....but then your eye is drawn to the Ken Dodd novelty hairstyle and you expect him to pull his tickle stick out from under the table and say “how about a bit of this missus?”

Doesn't really add up. Did you read in the article that they have annual intense negotiations? Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me.

Tense for cultural, more than economic, reasons.
Norway has the highest value Sovereign wealth fund in the world.

Also, as VAT was introduced to pay for the UK's EU membership

The underlined words are untrue. VAT replaced a purchase tax and net revenues to the UK government were largely unaffected by the change. VAT allows businesses to export without having to pay UK sales taxes on those exports. It also prevents UK consumers remitting tax to foreign exchequers, which is what happens if you rely on sales taxes.

A lack of even basic understanding of the thing that's being demonised seems to be a common pattern through this whole saga. VAT, the European Commission, the Lisbon Treaty, the EHCR - you name it, the brexity-lads are agin' it, but ask them to explain what "it" is, and it's a short pause before we no information, just nonsense about "overlords", "juntas" or other words that would actually better describe the inbred clique of Old Etonians that actually runs the United Kingdom.

But back on the OP... just one outcome of Brexit, that:

a. is actually likely to happen
b. will improve the life of a typical middle-to-low earning married man or woman.

Just one concrete thing. Come on - it cannot be that hard to name one.

A lack of even basic understanding of the thing that's being demonised seems to be a common pattern through this whole saga. VAT, the European Commission, the Lisbon Treaty, the EHCR - you name it, the brexity-lads are agin' it, but ask them to explain...

I'm a bit of a brexit lad myself, so please explain to me just what it is that I don't understand about the European Commission, the Lisbon Treaty and the EHCR.

OK, I don't know what the EHCR is. But those other things I mentioned.

Do you know what the EHCR is?

Tense for cultural, more than economic, reasons.
Norway has the highest value Sovereign wealth fund in the world.
That makes no sense. Cultural, economic, whatever. If the deal is good then this won't happen.

And then you go onto mention money.

The underlined words are untrue. VAT replaced a purchase tax and net revenues to the UK government were largely unaffected by the change. VAT allows businesses to export without having to pay UK sales taxes on those exports. It also prevents UK consumers remitting tax to foreign exchequers, which is what happens if you rely on sales taxes.

A lack of even basic understanding of the thing that's being demonised seems to be a common pattern through this whole saga. VAT, the European Commission, the Lisbon Treaty, the EHCR - you name it, the brexity-lads are agin' it, but ask them to explain what "it" is, and it's a short pause before we no information, just nonsense about "overlords", "juntas" or other words that would actually better describe the inbred clique of Old Etonians that actually runs the United Kingdom.

But back on the OP... just one outcome of Brexit, that:

a. is actually likely to happen
b. will improve the life of a typical middle-to-low earning married man or woman.

Just one concrete thing. Come on - it cannot be that hard to name one.
I can't get your meaning regarding UK consumers buying stuff overseas. You mean they don't pay it or can't claim it back? Do you mean all overseas countries?

The article clearly states that we can if we think it’s worth getting a worse deal in other areas.

It would appear, though, that Norway has a deal in fishing and in other areas but then on occasion plays hardball regarding fish. Annually, it would seem.

Norway only have two exports, oil and fish.
A quick bit of googling reveals those two sectors do not even make up a quarter of Norway's total exports. And fish is remarkably low. Yet loads of seemingly successful willy waving towards the EU regarding fish.

Marathons might return
Opal fruits too.
Fags packets can have pretty advertising designs on again, not pictures of Frank and his rotten teeth.
Cif might become Jif again.

I’ve seen big changes already - my local (and very successful!) Albanian car wash has been sold and bought by an Indian man.

That stupid word ‘Daim’ will probably become Dime again.

All life changing things as you can see.

I'm a bit of a brexit lad myself, so please explain to me just what it is that I don't understand about the European Commission, the Lisbon Treaty and the EHCR.

I think he means ECHR, the European Court of Human Rights.

Lol

A quick bit of googling reveals those two sectors do not even make up a quarter of Norway's total exports. And fish is remarkably low. Yet loads of seemingly successful willy waving towards the EU regarding fish.
No, 2017 OEC data say from $106B
"The top exports of Norway are Crude Petroleum ($28.1B), Petroleum Gas ($27.7B), Non-fillet Fresh Fish ($5.61B), Refined Petroleum ($4.81B) and Raw Aluminium ($3.12B)"
Tinned fish did not make that list but must also be significant"

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back