advertisement

Brexit next week: give me a positive effect it will have on my daily life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will take that as a no.

Take it as you like, you offer no solution just isolation and carping at others while in total denial about how much tougher it makes things for the UK. Simultaneously you are totally unable to point to any positives beyond saving some money in contributions to shared resources and market access. Like an uninsured enjoys not paying a premium more than having the shared protection.

Yes it is...It's bigger than that crash, and what's more, we have already committed to a stupid and stupidly large brexit bill. Before whatever Corona costs comes in. So we're going into this as the one legged man at the arse kicking party.

It's not quite the same scale. Considering just the support to banks, the 2008 crisis cost the UK £0.5 Tn (approx). The cost to the global economy of Coronavirus is estimated by the UN to be £1Tn and the cost to the UK is not going to be half of that.

Estimated cost of 2008 financial crisis: https://www.theguardian.com/politic...tis/2011/sep/12/reality-check-banking-bailout
Estimated cost of Coronavirus: https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/14771
Estimated global impact of coronavirus: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020...ost-economy-2020-un-trade-economics-pandemic/

It's not quite the same scale. Considering just the support to banks, the 2008 crisis cost the UK £0.5 Tn (approx). The cost to the global economy of Coronavirus is estimated by the UN to be £1Tn and the cost to the UK is not going to be half of that.

Estimated cost of 2008 financial crisis: https://www.theguardian.com/politic...tis/2011/sep/12/reality-check-banking-bailout
Estimated global impact of coronavirus: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020...ost-economy-2020-un-trade-economics-pandemic/

Estimates on both at this stage are totally air figures, there will, however, be a serious compounding of the impact of Coronavirus if you hobble your economy just ahead of it.

From a remainer perspective, apparently not; but the 'get brexit done' general election which decimated the remainer zombie parliament on all sides was decisive.
You simply write off the 48% of the electorate who don’t support what you do. Not democracy as I understand the term, but you crack on defending it.

Interesting links, thanks.
I will just point out that the banking crisis figures are largely in, whereas the CV figures are guestimates.
Then there's brexit.
Again, one legged man, etc, etc.

Yes it was maybe just a coincidence that so many remainer MPs were sacked at the last GE!
Exactly how does that pertain to what I wrote?
Has zero relevance.
If you came up with some figures saying there was a majority of the populace, or even a majority of the electorate for brexit you might have a valid argument. But there aint and you don't.
Or they'd have had a validating ref when all the sh1te had come in, and the lies exposed. Would have put the issue to bed nicely, and must have been so tempting.
Except they'd have lost, so they made damn sure it didn't happen.

Not at all. I’ve never said that, but of course, the truth is of no concern.
You may never have said that specific thing, but you clearly set great store by what you term ‘democracy’. By which you mean that the 48% of the electorate who didn’t support it are now simply ignored, wholesale. You appear to agree with that, by your constant call to respect the ‘democratic outcome’ and it is equivalent to the ‘you lost, gerroverit’ sentiment, just with lipstick on.

Interesting links, thanks.
I will just point out that the banking crisis figures are largely in, whereas the CV figures are guestimates.
Then there's brexit.
Again, one legged man, etc, etc.

I get that but look at Japan. As a nation, it is up to its a*se in national debt and deficit (proportionally), way in excess of anything Covid & Brexit would do to us but it seems not to cause a problem.

In fact, there are 28 countries who are in a worse debt vs GDP situation to the UK of which quite a few are not what you'd consider economic basket cases so I think the UK we could manage a bit more debt for a while without making the economy totally FUBAR. Taxing isn't the whole solution, borrowing money is still cheap and will be for a while.

Best time to negotiate a divorce settlement is when one party is massively distracted, and when the first party has just lost job and is in dire financial straits. Within context of that metaphor, CV19 and Brexit are not as unlikely bedfellows as they may initially appear.

...shame you cant just print more lucre when divorce is calling. Here, the metaphor crumbles a tad, as the Treasury did just that to bail RBS et al.

Least of our worries just now.

Neither side can afford a brexit which restricts trade. I don't think the EU as we know it will survive for much longer, as the frugal nations who will guarantee bonds to prop up other countries who are less well off eventually find they need to look after their own country.

"Neither side can afford a brexit which restricts trade" ??
Is this variation on the "they need us more than we need them" now that the "German Car Manufacturers coming to our rescue" gambit has been shown to be the bollox it always was?

With the present coronavirus crisis and it's effects upon the nation, not just financially, any sane gov would cancel Brexit.... but any sane gov would not have gone ahead with it anyway! and bojo will want to keep his deplorables demographic happy so disaster here we come!

With the present coronavirus crisis and it's effects upon the nation, not just financially, any sane gov would cancel Brexit.... but any sane gov would not have gone ahead with it anyway! and bojo will want to keep his deplorables demographic happy so disaster here we come!
We have already Brexited. No way back now short of reapplying. We are in that period where we’re supposed to be sorting out the details of how it goes from here, but don’t make the mistake of assuming that this transition period means we can still backtrack. This is not like a cooling off period.

It is now the job of those who support this, to make the best of it, and it is the duty of the rest of us not to get in their way, but we are under no obligation, legal or moral, to go along with it.

We have already Brexited. No way back now short of reapplying. We are in that period where we’re supposed to be sorting out the details of how it goes from here, but don’t make the mistake of assuming that this transition period means we can still backtrack. This is not like a cooling off period.

It is now the job of those who support this, to make the best of it, and it is the duty of the rest of us not to get in their way, but we are under no obligation, legal or moral, to go along with it.

Obviously I would have us reapply immediately! Any complete change to the nations governance and fortunes that begins with the premise of "this may not be too disastrous if we play it really well" should not see the light of day!

Everything that could be said about Brexit has been... ad nauseam. I have seen and heard nothing to make me move even a mm from my belief that anyone who voted for it was either:

A/ Stupid/misguided
or
B/ Basically a racist and xenophobe who took the Alf Garnet character as an inspiration rather than the intended warning.
or
C/ Both the above

From a remainer perspective, apparently not; but the 'get brexit done' general election which decimated the remainer zombie parliament on all sides was decisive.
Very true.

However, my view, and as I posted repeatedly was to try to find some kind of compromise given the outcome was 52/48. The 48 needed to be taken into account, something I believe Labour was trying to do and which I fully supported. Apparently, some people found the Labour position to not be a position at all, or alternatively found it too difficult to understand. They would be people who helped the tories along to their victory and a hard brexit.

<snip>
Everything that could be said about Brexit has been... ad nauseam. I have seen and heard nothing to make me move even a mm from my belief that anyone who voted for it was either:

A/ Stupid/misguided
or
B/ Basically a racist and xenophobe who took the Alf Garnet character as an inspiration rather than the intended warning.
or
C/ Both the above
An example here of the important assistance given to the tories in the General Election by hard-remainers.

"Neither side can afford a brexit which restricts trade" ??
Is this variation on the "they need us more than we need them" now that the "German Car Manufacturers coming to our rescue" gambit has been shown to be the bollox it always was?
No.

Those quotes have entirely different meanings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back