advertisement

Brexit next week: give me a positive effect it will have on my daily life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true.

However, my view, and as I posted repeatedly was to try to find some kind of compromise given the outcome was 52/48. The 48 needed to be taken into account, something I believe Labour was trying to do and which I fully supported. Apparently, some people found the Labour position to not be a position at all, or alternatively found it too difficult to understand. They would be people who helped the tories along to their victory and a hard brexit.

An example here of the important assistance given to the tories in the General Election by hard-remainers.

Showing cvnts to be cvnts and hence making them even more determined to be cvnts? I suppose we should have been shouting encouragements from the sidelines to be more racist on all our behalves....?:rolleyes: Would they have done the opposite then?

Showing cvnts to be cvnts and hence making them even more determined to be cvnts? I suppose we should have been shouting encouragements from the sidelines to be more racist on all our behalves....?:rolleyes: Would they have done the opposite then?

That's a bit harsh about remain voters.

Obviously I would have us reapply immediately! Any complete change to the nations governance and fortunes that begins with the premise of "this may not be too disastrous if we play it really well" should not see the light of day!

Everything that could be said about Brexit has been... ad nauseam. I have seen and heard nothing to make me move even a mm from my belief that anyone who voted for it was either:

A/ Stupid/misguided
or
B/ Basically a racist and xenophobe who took the Alf Garnet character as an inspiration rather than the intended warning.
or
C/ Both the above
This was close to the Libdem offering at the last GE. It resulted in Jo Swinson losing her seat and the Libdems achieving 11 seats (one fewer than 2017). So the idea was maybe not a success story.

This was close to the Libdem offering at the last GE. It resulted in Jo Swinson losing her seat and the Libdems achieving 11 seats (one fewer than 2017). So the idea was maybe not a success story.

It's the only viable idea and doing nothing was not an option... hence my tongue in cheek last post...
Unfortunately anyone thick enough to think Brexit a good idea is hardly likely to listen to a reasoned argument!

Should decent people (ie remainers) have gone a full scale racist and xenophobic abuse policy, freely using the N word etc, in the hope that even Brexiteers would be horrified and would start to campaign against leaving??? Reverse psychology?

We have had a referendum and two elections to enable Brexit. We have left the EU.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/01/coronavirus-crisis-brexit-brexiteers

If you finally come to understand that Brexit was an enormous distaction from UK Govt failings I'd call that progress indeed.

"Brexiteers’ war on imaginary threats now looks parochial and self-indulgent – history may judge them harshly. The thing called “Europe” that has dominated British politics in recent years is a creature of the Eurosceptic imagination, with only cartoon resemblance to the real EU, animated by exaggeration of powers held in Brussels and paranoia about the way they are wielded.

Now that the nation faces a truly frightening menace it should be obvious that EU membership never belonged in that category."

Steve,

A real problem is hard remainers being totally unable to understand why anyone would wish to leave the EU. This idea of ‘brexiteers’ having waged war on imaginary threats is just another example taken straight from the imagination of hard-remainers.

Fact is, hard-remainers have never grasped why many people wish to simply do trade with the EU and do not want to be part of the project. Why is that an imaginary war?

Anyway, I wish people would just shut up about brexit. People are dying. There is a far greater problem from coronavirus.

What's the correlation between remainers and people thinking that, since COVID19, we are about to enter the worst global recession of all time? Is it the same people?

If you finally come to understand that Brexit was an enormous distaction from UK Govt failings I'd call that progress indeed.

"Brexiteers’ war on imaginary threats now looks parochial and self-indulgent – history may judge them harshly. The thing called “Europe” that has dominated British politics in recent years is a creature of the Eurosceptic imagination, with only cartoon resemblance to the real EU, animated by exaggeration of powers held in Brussels and paranoia about the way they are wielded.

Now that the nation faces a truly frightening menace it should be obvious that EU membership never belonged in that category."
The EU financial sticking plasters will not hold forever; thankfully we did not join the Euro.

Steve,

A real problem is hard remainers being totally unable to understand why anyone would wish to leave the EU. This idea of ‘brexiteers’ having waged war on imaginary threats is just another example taken straight from the imagination of hard-remainers.

Fact is, hard-remainers have never grasped why many people wish to simply do trade with the EU and do not want to be part of the project. Why is that an imaginary war?

Anyway, I wish people would just shut up about brexit. People are dying. There is a far greater problem from coronavirus.

The hard remainer is a pathetic name Brian. I would suggest a lot of people here including myself who see the european project as flawed but nevertheless necessary arrangement where we naturally belong are sensible people not hard remainers.
I and a lot of others saw the reasons and understand them but as has always being pointed out including yourself the problems are in the main caused by successive governments neglect of poorer areas of the country especially the North.

I do agree some here do not still accept the result. I do and understand it will go ahead it is just in the english psyche to march over the cliff even if the reality of doing that dawns on them. I do think there is a definite hatred of all things european by a certain class of English people. It exists and it was the main driver for getting Brexit over the line. Don't think that feeling about French, Germans, Spanish and Italians will ever be reconciled.

Still I will have the popcorn out to watch BJ and Mogg ( The missing Mogg! Of course there is a real problem to deal with now hence no sign of JRM) blunder through Brexit. Hopefully Ireland will have figured out where to send its goods by the time they get the job done.

The EU financial sticking plasters will not hold forever; thankfully we did not join the Euro.

The Tories I reckon will have non-sticking plasters. They will last forever also. Not sure what you are thankful over for not joining the euro but I have always found your version of economics to be a bit skewed to say the least.
The internal optimist does sit well as a descriptor for your view of the world I suppose :)

You may be right but wouldn't that look wiser (forgetting for a moment that negatives can't be proved) if the pound wasn't looking more sick than the Euro?

The hard remainer is a pathetic name Brian. I would suggest a lot of people here including myself who see the european project as flawed but nevertheless necessary arrangement where we naturally belong are sensible people not hard remainers.
I have to disagree. There are many people who voted remain who are now in acceptance of the referendum result, even supporting leave despite their genuine desire still to remain. Those people are not the same as the minority who have campaigned endlessly for the referendum to be ignored. Identifying the anti-democratic subset of people with some term is essential, imo.

I will add that the EU project is far from essential. What IS essential is trade between all of those countries.

I and a lot of others saw the reasons and understand them but as has always being pointed out including yourself the problems are in the main caused by successive governments neglect of poorer areas of the country especially the North.
Yes, I agree almost all of the problems, if not all, have been caused by the UK tory govt.

I do agree some here do not still accept the result. I do and understand it will go ahead it is just in the english psyche to march over the cliff even if the reality of doing that dawns on them. I do think there is a definite hatred of all things european by a certain class of English people. It exists and it was the main driver for getting Brexit over the line. Don't think that feeling about French, Germans, Spanish and Italians will ever be reconciled.
I disagree again. I don’t think it is a class of people, it is a minority of people from any class. I would think there are people of a similar mind in just about every country. The abuse by hard-remainers of people who voted leave actually stinks of hatred, imo.

Still I will have the popcorn out to watch BJ and Mogg ( The missing Mogg! Of course there is a real problem to deal with now hence no sign of JRM) blunder through Brexit. Hopefully Ireland will have figured out where to send its goods by the time they get the job done.
I think it is all going to be delayed, but we will see.

Doesn't bother me but i think you are using hard remainer to annoy certain people here.
Most reasonable people know you can't ignore the referendum and tbh not aware of people campaigning seriously for that.

We will have to agree to disagree on the certain class of people. I think it is a predominantly poor background but would agree it crosses all classes and there would be another concentration especially at the older well got generation.

Well for me little old Ireland need the EU. Very thankful for it. It has brought prosperity to Ireland after 800 yrs of oppression. Your trading idea but not being a member falls flat on its face because the UK Tory gov do not understand give and take and the necessity to be more generous and accepting when you are the weaker one.

Good to see we agree on a lot of this and just have differences that shouldn't require putting each other on ignore list any time soon :) TBH I have never put somebody on ignore list it just seems odd to me to need or want to do that.

I have to disagree. There are many people who voted remain who are now in acceptance of the referendum result, even supporting leave despite their genuine desire still to remain. Those people are not the same as the minority who have campaigned endlessly for the referendum to be ignored. Identifying the anti-democratic subset of people with some term is essential, imo.

I will add that the EU project is far from essential. What IS essential is trade between all of those countries.

Yes, I agree almost all of the problems, if not all, have been caused by the UK tory govt.

I disagree again. I don’t think it is a class of people, it is a minority of people from any class. I would think there are people of a similar mind in just about every country. The abuse by hard-remainers of people who voted leave actually stinks of hatred, imo.

I think it is all going to be delayed, but we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back