advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I trace back the quoted thread, I end up at Stunsworth's post and "The government is offering financial incentives for EU citizens to leave the country", then a bit later Stephen's comment "Johnson's Government really, really hate Europeans." and you telling him to not mix up EU and Europe. It's very clearly immigration related, but perhaps you missed that?

I am questioning if the reasoning behind this policy really is to get EU citizens to move out, but other Europeans would be fine? I think probably not and that Stephen might be on to something..

I saw a comment on the refusal to annoint the EU Ambassador with the full diplomatic rights and immunities, and therefore that 'Johnson's government really, really hate Europeans', and it is to that that I responded, reasonably in my view, that there was a conflation between 'Europeans' and 'the EU'.

If it helps, I probably have more Europeans of whom I am personally very fond amongst my aquaintances than I do Brits, but I'm not desperately keen on the EU. I see the two as quite distinct, as indeed they are.

Regarding the report that the government is paying Europeans to leave the country, I have only seen it on these pages. Assuming (something you shouldn't do) that it is as straightfoward as that, I'm pretty appalled. It might be safer to assume (or hope) that there's more to it than a general attempt to rid the country of all Europeans.

Edit - can't be bothered to argue with morons.
Excellent to know. We have something else in common, that’s exactly why I don’t argue with hard remainers, I just give them the facts in an effort to help with their rather agitated state of mind. Being tormented and angry for over 4 years can’t be healthy for anyone.

Sorry to disappoint you Brian: I am what you label a hard remainer. Brexit is the worst decision the UK has made (the Iraq war is Blair alone) in my lifetime. But it is done. I just don't care anymore.
A decision made by a tory govt, of course. The worst decision is enabling a tory govt since 2010.

Regarding the report that the government is paying Europeans to leave the country, I have only seen it on these pages. Assuming (something you shouldn't do) that it is as straightfoward as that, I'm pretty appalled. It might be safer to assume (or hope) that there's more to it than a general attempt to rid the country of all Europeans.

From what I gather the Gov included European nationals in an existing programme of "friendly" voluntary returns scheme: https://www.theguardian.com/politic...zens-offered-financial-incentives-to-leave-uk

Where is the pie chart that shows vaccines given as a percentage of the population?

Greece has what, 10m people? So they've done nearly 20% of their population.

We've barely done half of that.

Your maths is a bit out. The figure on the pie for Greece = 200k out of a population of10M = 2%

However. Referenced stats are here (ie not some pie chart from wherever)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1196071/covid-19-vaccination-rate-in-europe-by-country/

As of Jan 21, UK has vaccinated 10% of its population (10.05 per 100) and Greece has vaccinated 1.5% (1.51 per 100).

Notes:

The source adds the following information: "This is counted as a single dose, and may not equal the total number of people vaccinated, depending on the specific dose regime (e.g. people receive multiple doses)".
Latest available data in each respective country:
Austria - Jan 24, 2021
Belgium - Jan 22, 2021
Bulgaria - Jan 23, 2021
Croatia - Jan 22, 2021
Cyprus - Jan 22, 2021
Czechia - Jan 23, 2021
Denmark - Jan 23, 2021
Estonia - Jan. 24, 2021
Finland - Jan. 22, 2021
France - Jan 24, 2021
Germany - Jan 22, 2021
Greece - Jan 23, 2021
Hungary - Jan 23, 2021
Iceland - Jan 22, 2021
Ireland - Jan 20, 2021
Italy - Jan 24, 2021
Latvia - Jan 23, 2021
Lithuania - Jan 23, 2021
Luxembourg - Jan 21, 2021
Malta - Jan 23, 2021
Netherlands - Jan 22, 2021
Norway - Jan 21, 2021
Poland - Jan 23, 2021
Portugal - Jan 23, 2021
Romania - Jan 24. 2021
Russia - Jan 13, 2021
Serbia - Jan 23, 2021
Slovakia - Jan 21, 2021
Slovenia - Jan 23, 2021
Spain - Jan 22, 2021
Sweden - Jan 17, 2021
Switzerland - Jan 21, 2021
United Kingdom - Jan 23, 2021

HTH

From what I gather the Gov included European nationals in an existing programme of "friendly" voluntary returns scheme: https://www.theguardian.com/politic...zens-offered-financial-incentives-to-leave-uk

Interesting. I see at the end of the article, if I understand it correctly, that nearly 5 million EU nationals have applied for UK residency. That number does beg the question, should you be a reader of this thread, as to why on earth they would want to, so ghastly, racist, fascist even, xenophobic, small-minded, petty, inward-looking, fissured and generally loathsome is the UK. Well, not the UK, but England.

Interesting. I see at the end of the article, if I understand it correctly, that nearly 5 million EU nationals have applied for UK residency. That number does beg the question, should you be a reader of this thread, as to why on earth they would want to, so ghastly, racist, fascist even, xenophobic, small-minded, petty, inward-looking, fissured and generally loathsome is the UK. Well, not the UK, but England.

If one's been living in the UK with one's family for 5, 10 or 30 years, how easy do you reckon it would be to return to one's country of origin?

Stockholm syndrome?

You can tolerate a lot of s**t for quite a while if the pay's good.

The kids are in school here, they're employed here, they've built a life here. They may realise that they've been shafted but, then, lots of people stay in abusive relationships too.

The kids are in school here, they're employed here, they've built a life here. They may realise that they've been shafted but, then, lots of people stay in abusive relationships too.

Others leave them. The UK just left an abusive institution.

Small is beautiful eh? So why are Norway and Switzerland, both smaller than UK, both non-EU, well behind the curve?
In this case small is beautiful did allow countries outside of the federal dictatorship to make their own arrangements, but as to why they didn't i don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back