advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time I looked a far higher proportion of over 80s and at risk had been inoculated in the NW/NE than in any part of the country. The SE was worst (outside Scotland). My 84 year old mother is due for her first vaccination this Friday.

And of course there are many, many reasons why that might be. Given she's over 80 I would be inclined to doubt that supply is the issue. I'd suspect organisation.
I got word that over 80s were being 'done' here a week or so back. I was missed for the 'over70s' tranche.. until I kicked up a fuss. Turned out to be a computer glitch.

My neighbour, who basically has bugger all wrong with him.. gets his tomorrow. I have to wait another 9 days. Thats how it goes when you divide the populus. (It's NOT 'populous') into ten year wide groups by age.

Well, it's a legal and a legitimate business which has not suddenly found itself unlawful. I'd have thought you, as an entrepreneur would feel some sympathy. Guess that all goes out the window when the clustershamblefkp is as a result of your pet project.

I have made my feelings about the export of live meat clear on these forums in the past. I'm very uncomfortable about it. I am also aware of the higher welfare standards in this country. There is perhaps an opportunity in here for the re-jigging of supply chains, though there will be a cost - highly processed, factory farmed Danish bacon might be pretty disgusting, but its cheap at the supermarket counter.

I come from a pig-farming background, incidentally. Back in the 1970s we used to export prize boars to China, so must bear some iota of responsibility for the horror that is the vast-scale industrial production of pigmeat in that country.

It would be greener to source locally than sending animals to Europe and have Europeans sending their animals to our supermarkets.

Yes good luck with that, about a third of all lamb and beef and nearly two thirds of UK consumed pork is imported. You just fire these little trite suggestions out without thought. But then what should we expect from the sort of tool who thinks these markets and relationships were built over many years just for the fun of it.

The balance between affordable food for UK consumers and sustaining home produce has always been achieved with very fine margins and adjustments. Tilting one way or the other will have serious consequences.

It would be greener to source locally than sending animals to Europe and have Europeans sending their animals to our supermarkets.
Of course, but if it's eco credentials you seek it is greener still to stop eating, and producing meat. My suspicion is that it suits a brexiter mindset to employ this argument and limit it to transport rather than to examine the bigger picture.

Incidentally, I wonder whether 'global britain' would rather continue extending its food supply chains to ever more distant sources rather than trade with our nearest trading partners?

Of course, but if it's eco credentials you seek it is greener still to stop eating, and producing meat. My suspicion is that it suits a brexiter mindset to employ this argument and limit it to transport rather than to examine the bigger picture.

Incidentally, I wonder whether 'global britain' would rather continue extending its food supply chains to ever more distant sources rather than trade with our nearest trading partners?

A lot of lamb already is. He's talking his usual bollocks. Haven't you noticed the high vegan and veggie count amoung Kippers? I can just see the vegan rolls being a sensation at Greggs.

The more this AZ thing rumbles on and listening to Gove this morning there is no jingoistic type remarks on this. Tough ERG guy of course reacts as usual. Smell a rat here they are trying to de-escalate and one wonders did the UK gov put pressure on AZ. Time will tell but I get the feeling the UK are starting to smell the roses here. There will be only one long term winner if an isolated country on the edge of Europe decides to go it alone.

Certainly if they don't back track it will speed up the migration of industry to guess where?

Meanwhile BJ is off to Scotland to save the union. Hugh? Any comment?

A lot of lamb already is. He's talking his usual bollocks. Haven't you noticed the high vegan and veggie count amoung Kippers? I can just see the vegan rolls being a sensation at Greggs.
I think we’ve inadvertently stumbled onto a new title for the thread- ‘the hypocrisies of Brexit’. I like the way EV got his mini mea culpa in by way of mitigation but that was in the oh so distant past that live animals were sent to China.
The formula is simple: anything good- that’s the effect of Brexit, bad and its them dirty foreigners.

The same hubris that had Cameron fronting Remain, Sturgeon must be delighted. No doubt she will invite him back if she still has a couple of undecideds.
The locations have been kept secret ( in case he’s mobbed by supporters) and it’s been described here as ‘unnecessary travel’. I think he should take a walk around Belfast, visit his friend Arlene and meet some of her constituents and thank them for their continuing support.

Yes good luck with that, about a third of all lamb and beef and nearly two thirds of UK consumed pork is imported. You just fire these little trite suggestions out without thought. But then what should we expect from the sort of tool who thinks these markets and relationships were built over many years just for the fun of it.

The balance between affordable food for UK consumers and sustaining home produce has always been achieved with very fine margins and adjustments. Tilting one way or the other will have serious consequences.
Morrisons say they sell 100% British fresh meat, if they can do that why not other supermarkets.

I was thinking more in terms of jobs in the future, with manufacturing, retail and distribution in decline.

The more this AZ thing rumbles on and listening to Gove this morning there is no jingoistic type remarks on this. Tough ERG guy of course reacts as usual. Smell a rat here they are trying to de-escalate and one wonders did the UK gov put pressure on AZ. Time will tell but I get the feeling the UK are starting to smell the roses here. There will be only one long term winner if an isolated country on the edge of Europe decides to go it alone.

The EU have made a fist of this. I understand France, Germany, Italy and NL negotiated a similar deal with AZ to that of the UK. The EU said ‘on no you don’t, we’ll handle this’. The EU then do a deal, 2 months later, with no material difference to the deals those countries had already negotiated. Until we see the contracts, it’s speculation but I understand that because of the EU losing time, the AZ supply is on a best endeavours basis. This is the problem when you have a parasitic, bureaucratic mafia acting on your behalf.

The EU have made a fist of this. I understand France, Germany, Italy and NL negotiated a similar deal with AZ to that of the UK. The EU said ‘on no you don’t, we’ll handle this’. The EU then do a deal, 2 months later, with no material difference to the deals those countries had already negotiated. Until we see the contracts, it’s speculation but I understand that because of the EU losing time, the AZ supply is on a best endeavours basis. This is the problem when you have a parasitic, bureaucratic mafia acting on your behalf.
Boris took a risk buying an undeveloped product at a high price and it paid off. It could easily have gone the other way; the EU countries had the same opportunity. The EU has still have not approved the vaccine.

Key word there may be "fresh". Where does the frozen stuff come from? I would think most of the lamb from NZ arrives frozen.
As with all UKIP talking points, once you get drawn in to respond and point out the inconsistencies you don’t actually get a response other than a shift to a different talking point or if you’re unlucky a google drop of irrelevant data along the way.

In case you hadn't noticed we have a parasitic bureaucratic mafia working on its own behalf, one more deadly than any real mafia I can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back