advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the EU trying to take over the World? Who do they think they are? Nothing more guaranteed to encourage far right nationalism in a country than pushing that country around and bullying.

I always wondered why far-right and not far-left nationalism?

Is that an acknowledgement that the EU is a bully?

Until earlier this year we were both victims and perpetrators.

Now we're stil victims and perpetrators of self-flagellation, but only victims when it comes to the EU, China, Russia and the US.

How very worthy, and thoroughly condescending. The EU would perhaps do well to pay closer attention to some of its own grubby environmental malpractices before it starts lecturing everone else.

What was I saying about EU regulatory imperialism earler?

Wasn't it nice when you were the Colonial power?

Is this whataboutism?

I wasn't even born until after the UK's colonies had gone. Here's another whataboutism; I seem to recall that Portugal hung onto hers for longer.

Is this whataboutism?

I wasn't even born until after the UK's colonies had gone. Here's another whataboutism; I seem to recall that Portugal hung onto hers for longer.

It was our punishment for WW2 "neutrality"... Both the doing of a mad dictator.

The UK's industrial, employment food and safety standards in many cases already exceed EU minimums. What the UK is saying no to is EU oversight of these things, a very straightforward problem to overcome. As I mentioned upthread, I understand that the UK has already quietly agreed in principle to an independent arbitration body. Dumping generally works the other way, as in Germany, with the significant inbuilt advantage of its Euro accession rate vis a vis the other EZ nations, effectively dumping in everyone else's direction. Again, on level playing field and rules of origin, the UK is very sensibly refusing the generous offer of EU oversight, which would enable the EU to squash UK competitiveness at its will.

No independent sovereign country in the world would agree to oversight ('direct effect') by the supreme court of another party simply in order to get a pretty thin, standard FTA. The potential for abuse is almost unlimited. The UK is not refusing its 'obligations' at all, utter tosh. It's simply refusing to do it the way the EU demands.

It is ridiculous to call German engineering success 'dumping'. It is like saying Rolex is dumping in the watch market.
Thank G we can buy German cars and Swiss watches. Or at least we could.

Not at all, if you want to join a trade agreement you look at the conditions and if they suit you - fine, if you have to concede some things for others - fine too. If you don't want the terms - do your own thing. But you are just whining that the stronger partner gets to choose the terms, as if the EU should be any different. The UK would act no differently, we just chose to reduce our influence on such matters.
In any case, the article is a lot more nuanced than the click-baity headline suggests. For one thing, it makes clear that Australia is happy to reaffirm its commitment to the Paris accord. The other aspect is purely about trade: it's possible for the EU to sell cars to the Australian market if Australia continues to use shite-quality petrol.

Not at all, if you want to join a trade agreement you look at the conditions and if they suit you - fine, if you have to concede some things for others - fine too. If you don't want the terms - do your own thing. But you are just whining that the stronger partner gets to choose the terms, as if the EU should be any different. The UK would act no differently, we just chose to reduce our influence on such matters.
Not even a decent deflection from the point, which was a comment I made in reply to one of tuga’s scrapes showing the EU to be a bully. I really don’t see what business it is of the EU to tell Australia how to run their country.

It is ridiculous to call German engineering success 'dumping'. It is like saying Rolex is dumping in the watch market.
Some would say they are, after all, what’s wrong with a phone? ;)

Not even a decent deflection from the point, which was a comment I made in reply to one of tuga’s scrapes showing the EU to be a bully. I really don’t see what business it is of the EU to tell Australia how to run their country.

I don't agree. Population growth (that produces economic refugees) and pollution/global warming are both global problems.

I don't agree. Population growth (that produces economic refugees) and pollution/global warming are both global problems.
I agree with that, but it is not the place of the EU to tell Australia how to run their country.

The prison camp guards have told us to buy a Merc or it’s 30 days in the cooler.

The prison camp guards have told us to buy a Merc or it’s 30 days in the cooler.

One owner, not so careful;

bMcMH7.jpg

Oh, look what I've gone and done!

I just had brexiteer, fried egg, cheese, mushrooms and beans for tea, very nice it was too. I might have more later if I get hungry watching a film on the telly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back