advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The UK government ruled that out by not wanting to accept any of the obligations that tariff-free trade would entail.

You don't get something of value without giving something of value in return.

Sorry, what obligations?

Agreement to stay in alignment with minimum industrial, employment, food and safety standards (UK says no), commitment to not engage in dumping or third-country tariff evasion (UK says no). Those obligations. There are others, but as I said, a deal is a two-way transaction. The UK's position seems to be one of taking all the benefits without accepting any of the responsibilities... a 4-year-old's understanding of trade is unsurprising from a country being led by people who never needed to grow up.

Australia manage to be one of the planets greatest polluters before you even take into account their coal exports. A country that clearly could do a lot more with wind and solar power

Also Environmental Protection standards, those evil EU bastards. Australia doesn't like the EU telling them to be more civilised what to do either:

EU to push Australia to clean up petrol standards as part of free trade deal
The European Union wants Australia’s Paris climate commitments enshrined in new FTA

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...p-petrol-standards-as-part-of-free-trade-deal
Is the EU trying to take over the World? Who do they think they are? Nothing more guaranteed to encourage far right nationalism in a country than pushing that country around and bullying.

Daft comment, that's all we have ever been responsible for. There will be much more of it than would have been the case without the additional Brexit spending (which involved huge one offs and an eye-watering continual spend - for no return) and subsequent loss of GDP.

Hence more downgradings to follow, we are a larger credit risk and less trusted than before this shit show. Well done you and yours.
The few positive EU contributors do not appear to be that keen to sign off the MFF and mutualised debt.

Is the EU trying to take over the World? Who do they think they are? Nothing more guaranteed to encourage far right nationalism in a country than pushing that country around and bullying.

Yeah they should be free to pollute at levels of their choosing, poor victims. They have a choice.

Agreement to stay in alignment with minimum industrial, employment, food and safety standards (UK says no), commitment to not engage in dumping or third-country tariff evasion (UK says no). Those obligations. There are others, but as I said, a deal is a two-way transaction. The UK's position seems to be one of taking all the benefits without accepting any of the responsibilities... a 4-year-old's understanding of trade is unsurprising from a country being led by people who never needed to grow up.

The UK's industrial, employment food and safety standards in many cases already exceed EU minimums. What the UK is saying no to is EU oversight of these things, a very straightforward problem to overcome. As I mentioned upthread, I understand that the UK has already quietly agreed in principle to an independent arbitration body. Dumping generally works the other way, as in Germany, with the significant inbuilt advantage of its Euro accession rate vis a vis the other EZ nations, effectively dumping in everyone else's direction. Again, on level playing field and rules of origin, the UK is very sensibly refusing the generous offer of EU oversight, which would enable the EU to squash UK competitiveness at its will.

No independent sovereign country in the world would agree to oversight ('direct effect') by the supreme court of another party simply in order to get a pretty thin, standard FTA. The potential for abuse is almost unlimited. The UK is not refusing its 'obligations' at all, utter tosh. It's simply refusing to do it the way the EU demands.

Foreign jurisdiction was one of the key points of the TPPA trade agreement
Big countries bully small countries, what a surprise.

Also Environmental Protection standards, those evil EU bastards. Australia doesn't like the EU telling them to be more civilised what to do either:

EU to push Australia to clean up petrol standards as part of free trade deal
The European Union wants Australia’s Paris climate commitments enshrined in new FTA

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...p-petrol-standards-as-part-of-free-trade-deal

How very worthy, and thoroughly condescending. The EU would perhaps do well to pay closer attention to some of its own grubby environmental malpractices before it starts lecturing everone else.

What was I saying about EU regulatory imperialism earler?

Yeah they should be free to pollute at levels of their choosing, poor victims. They have a choice.
Next time you complain about a single country interfering in the affairs of another I’ll remind you that you support such behaviour. Meanwhile this one can be filed in the ‘criticism of the EU is not permitted’ box.

Foreign jurisdiction was one of the key points of the TPPA trade agreement
Big countries bully small countries, what a surprise.
News flash for you. The EU is not a country, let alone a big country.

Good of you to at least seem to agree the EU is bullying though.

Next time you complain about a single country interfering in the affairs of another I’ll remind you that you support such behaviour. Meanwhile this one can be filed in the ‘criticism of the EU is not permitted’ box.

Not at all, if you want to join a trade agreement you look at the conditions and if they suit you - fine, if you have to concede some things for others - fine too. If you don't want the terms - do your own thing. But you are just whining that the stronger partner gets to choose the terms, as if the EU should be any different. The UK would act no differently, we just chose to reduce our influence on such matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back