advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
To address inequalities within the EEC. Poor areas and poor countries helped.

OK, granted. Regional development for the poorer countries was undoubtedly successful. Do you think subsequent developments in the union have improved inequality?

Because certain countries would be cherry-picking, especially the U.K :)

Do you think that there isn't cherry-picking in the EU post SM, and why do you think that the UK is worse than any other state?

I hear the sound of goal posts shifting... Your first question was about EFTA and free trade areas.

No shifting goal posts. You replied, and your reply led to further questions. It is the way conversations develop.

OK, fair enough but I will get back to it later. SWMBO has things for me to do.

I assume you mean Mrs PsB (I'm not good on forum abbreviations)?

I only have an ex-one of those, and everything that she has for me to do is deeply onerous, and involves elevated stress levels. It's probably why I bicker with people on the pfm political forums!

Why do you think that Europe needs more than a free trade area?
An EU citizen might be justified in thinking at this point, “none of your ****ing business”. A more kindly interpretation of your position might be-

Bizzy Lizzy is a British children's TV series from the 1960s. Bizzy Lizzy was a little girl whose dress had a magic flower. When she touched it, her wishes came true – but if she made more than four wishes in a day, all her previous wishes were undon.

I wouldn't normally quibble about figures, but in 2019 the EU accounted for around 43% of UK exports. It has been falling for years - in 2002 the figure was 54%. I think from memory the EU accounts for around 13% of UK GDP, though it could be a couple of points higher.

In 1980 the current members of the EU accounted for about 30% of global GDP. Last year it was about 18%, by 2024 it is forecast at a little over 14%. The EU is a vast, but stagnating economic area. At least a proportion of this stagnation might be accounted for by the sclerosis incurred by excessive regulation, ponderous chains of decision-making, and the profound negative effects of the disfunctional EMU on substantial parts of the EU economy.

The vast majority of global growth is taking place outside of the EU.

An independent Scotland inside the EU would get a lot of the investment that would have gone to Britain before it left. Plus quite a few firms in England and Wales might decide a move north wouldn’t be such a bad idea, so it’s more likely that Scotland would do better seceding from the U.K. than Britain will seceding from the EU. Of course Westminster might make Scotland “pay a heavy price” for leaving.

More shitz n giggles for ET.
And Barren Colin.
You both need a laugh as the chickens come home to roost.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-fish-trade-uk-eu-lorries-exports-b1784312.html

It's definitely adding extra faff to buying things from the EU. I bought an item from Germany on December 26th, but shipping got delayed due to the rapid spread of the new variant COVID-19. It eventually got shipped on January 5th, but when I queried a "Missing, incorrect, incomplete or illegible export documents" message on the tracking, I was told that DPD hadn't updated their forms to include Brexit, and the seller had to email them PDFs of the missing paperwork. Hopefully it should turn up this coming week.

Lads you will be very shortly just posting to rational folk on this thread. Every day diminishes the desire of Brexiteers to come up with imaginary benefits. As the misery piles up I expect them all to disappear possibly to where the sun don't shine.

Their Indian summer was BJ's 'landslide' election victory. But like Game of thrones winter is coming. The Communist Biden's victory is the final straw.

Lads you will be very shortly just posting to rational folk on this thread. Every day diminishes the desire of Brexiteers to come up with imaginary benefits. As the misery piles up I expect them all to disappear possibly to where the sun don't shine.

Their Indian summer was BJ's 'landslide' election victory. But like Game of thrones winter is coming. The Communist Biden's victory is the final straw.
What will happen to Churchill’s bust in the Oval Office on the 20th?

Do you think that there isn't cherry-picking in the EU post SM, and why do you think that the UK is worse than any other state?

Because 17.something million folks voted for their own interests only. And the irony is that they have voted against their interests.

Thats Brexit in a nutshel.

You could argue that the <17m voted in self interest, and that the 17m> voted on principle.

However, that's a different argument. Your reply doesn't address the question. Cherry-picking is standard practice within the EU. Ireland cherry picks. France, Spain, Poland and Hungary cherry pick. The country that helps itself to the biggest cherries of all is, dare I say it, Germany.

Let's all hope that its Target2 pips don't choke it.

^ Everyone cherry picks.

Anyway...

Not the one to which 60% of its exports go, but the one to which 18% of its exports go.

In 2019 46% of UK exports went to the EU, prior to 2019 it was higher. Yet hardcore Brexiteers such as yourself had no problem with that. In any case your assumption seems to be that post Scottish independence Scotland’s relationship would be the same as the UK’s is now with the EU, that wouldn’t necessarily be the case.

43% is if you include services, the 46% is for goods only. Whatever, Brexiteers thought losing a substantial part of that was a price worth paying.
Yeah. Those 52% ‘anti-furriner, thick, knuckle-dragging, racist Brexiteers’, eh. Thinking a substantial part of 46% is a price worth paying.

Hard to believe at least 55% of Scots apparently think losing a substantial part of 60% is a price worth paying. Nowt stranger than folk.

The prevailing narrative from Scottish independence supporters, including those in the SNP, was that the separation would be both orderly and in their favour.

Maybe recent experience should tell us that it will be actually quite messy and protracted.

If it happens, I wonder if a small minority of the 45% will turn out like Trump supporters, believing the result of a vote that doesn’t go their way must be ignored and causing nothing but trouble for years ahead.

Last edited:
I've noticed that I'm now getting 20% VAT charged to me buying from eBay sellers that aren't even in the EU. This seems to have come into effect this month, so I'm wondering, is this somehow Brexit-related as well?

I've noticed that I'm now getting 20% VAT charged to me buying from eBay sellers that aren't even in the EU. This seems to have come into effect this month, so I'm wondering, is this somehow Brexit-related as well?

Got some examples, e.g. class of product, seller location? I’ve not seen that yet. Are you told in advance, i.e. can you back out of the transaction.

PS Are you sure its legit, not phishing?

Got some examples, e.g. class of product, seller location? I’ve not seen that yet. Are you told in advance, i.e. can you back out of the transaction.

PS Are you sure its legit, not phishing?

It's a mineral specimen from a dealer in Pakistan. I looked it up on eBay and it is definitely legit:

Items delivered to the UK
Value Added Tax (VAT) generally applies to purchases by UK consumers, and prices on eBay.co.uk are shown inclusive of VAT.

Starting 1 January 2021, eBay is required to collect VAT on certain orders delivered to UK addresses:

• Orders up to £135 sent from outside the UK
  • Orders where the item is located in the UK, but the seller is not a UK seller
You'll see the VAT included in your order total at checkout, and you can view and download a tax invoice from the Order details page in your Purchase history.

On orders over £135 imported to the UK, the recipient may need to pay VAT as part of clearing the parcel through customs.

For more information about buying from overseas sellers, see our article about international purchases and postage.

If you're a UK consumer and you want to request a VAT refund, you can upload supporting documentation.

see https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771&st=2&pos=2&query=Paying tax on eBay purchases&intent=tax

It says the price then "+20% VAT will apply"

As these new VAT rules came into effect on January 1st 2021, I can't help wondering if it's linked with Brexit.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
OK, after a bit more digging, it does seem to be Brexit-related:

https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/news/brexit

New UK VAT arrangements for imports

On 1 January 2021, the UK government introduced a new model for the VAT treatment of goods arriving into Great Britain from outside of the UK. The new arrangements include the abolition of Low Value Consignment Relief, which relieves import VAT on consignments of goods valued at £15 or less. Online marketplaces (OMPs), where they are involved in facilitating the sale, are now responsible for collecting and accounting for the VAT. More details on these changes can be found here.

...which led me to https://brc.org.uk/news/trade/vat-1-january-brexit-guidance-for-businesses/

From there:

The UK Government published new guidance in late July for cross-border transactions involving VAT. Currently, during the transition period, the UK remains within the Common VAT Area, meaning goods sales between the UK and EU are not deemed to be imports and exports but intra-Union supplies or transfers of goods. The treatment for VAT of such transactions is markedly different.

The UK Government has agreed with BRC suggestions to restore the easement on postponed accounting for import VAT which would otherwise be payable by businesses. This easement will apply to all GB imports, including from the Rest of the World. So for goods imports of more than £135, the importing company will account for any import VAT due as part of their quarterly VAT return process. No payment will be required to clear goods at the GB border.

For goods under £135 in value, the point of liability for UK supply VAT will be at the point of sale not the point of importation. Online marketplaces, where these facilitate the sale, will be responsible for collecting and accounting for the VAT involved here, from 1 January. For business to business sales under £135, involving a cross border element, the VAT will be accounted for by the VAT-registered customer via a reverse charge.

With goods sold directly to consumers in GB without platform facilitation of the sale, the overseas seller will have to register and account for the VAT with HMRC.

Further information is contained in the HMT paper below. The BRC is continuing to liaise with the UK Government and the European Commission in terms of the operability of the rules in NI from 1 January under the Protocol, and with HMT in terms of the rules to be applied in GB.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

Well done Brexiters. :rolleyes:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back