advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The predicted post Brexit bonfire of environmental regulations starts as the Tory government allow EU banned pesticides that kill bees to be used by UK farmers (London Economic). The destructive anti-science/anti-environment ideology of this pig-ignorant party shows itself yet again.
well, to be fair, several other EU countries have enacted the same 'emergency' regulations. But nicotinoids are very profitable, as well as destructive, so perhaps we need to look at the lobbyists a bit more closely.

Rejoining is not an option, even if the rejoiner opposition were to gain a majority.
Alas you are right. My point was really about our mob and the damage that gets done during an electoral term. Add to that the lack of proper journalistic scrutiny or at least it's overshadowing by a reckless and corrupt right wing commentary and I struggle to derive much hope or comfort from an occasional opportunity to vote out a ruinous regime.

Both sides will play games, but each side needs as much trade as possible because they are all broke.

This isn’t a game, it’s the deal that Johnson signed up to. It’s the law.

We were told repeatedly that trade would be frictionless, it clearly isn’t. Some of that will be short term as people get to grips with the legislation, but some will be permanent. I know from personal experience that export documentation is now required for goods transported from mainland Britain to Northern Ireland. That’s not going to go away.

Any goods (not just sweets) that originated outside of the UK now face tariffs if they’re exported to the EU. I don’t remember anyone mentioning that when they were crowing about frictionless trade.

We will all be cutting back, and more than a bit and not on a few luxuries. Wait until the paperwork requirements on medications start to hit home, when the trucks delivering fruit, veg and salad from Spain stop setting off, and our winter choice is sprouts, turnips and carrot.

Not the one to which 60% of its exports go, but the one to which 18% of its exports go.
I'm sure that some Scots will tell you (and I) that it is about more than just mere economics.

These same Scots I am pretty sure will understand those EU Leavers who had a similar viewpoint...

I'm sure that some Scots will tell you (and I) that it is about more than just mere economics.

These same Scots I am pretty sure will understand those EU Leavers who had a similar viewpoint...
They would be correct, it has nothing to do with economics. Wait until next years council tax bills come in.

Not the one to which 60% of its exports go, but the one to which 18% of its exports go.

In 2019 46% of UK exports went to the EU, prior to 2019 it was higher. Yet hardcore Brexiteers such as yourself had no problem with that. In any case your assumption seems to be that post Scottish independence Scotland’s relationship would be the same as the UK’s is now with the EU, that wouldn’t necessarily be the case.

In 2019 46% of UK exports went to the EU, prior to 2019 it was higher. Yet hardcore Brexiteers such as yourself had no problem with that. In any case your assumption seems to be that post Scottish independence Scotland’s relationship would be the same as the UK’s is now with the EU, that wouldn’t necessarily be the case.
The prevailing narrative from Scottish independence supporters, including those in the SNP, was that the separation would be both orderly and in their favour.

Maybe recent experience should tell us that it will be actually quite messy and protracted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back