advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition) II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see positive signs in gdp as a top line marker. I was actually expecting France to romp ahead of UK. But it failed to capitalise.

I see nothing significant in gdp growth other than the impact of covid.

52265181275_924c056ff9_c.jpg

The OBR predicted an overall loss of 4%gdp equivalent to 100billion loss per year.
Google FT article "deafening silence on Brexit economic fall out".Sometimes it's a paywall sometimes not.

I see positive signs in gdp as a top line marker. I was actually expecting France to romp ahead of UK. But it failed to capitalise.

I see nothing significant in gdp growth other than the impact of covid.

52265181275_924c056ff9_c.jpg

That only goes up to 2021 (and is about as recent as I can find on t'Internet) but AIUI, things have gone a bit Pete Tong for the UK in '22 and will continue to do so going forwards.

The OBR predicted an overall loss of 4%gdp equivalent to 100billion loss per year.
Google FT article "deafening silence on Brexit economic fall out".Sometimes it's a paywall sometimes not.
Yes but you need to listen to Data Guy for whats really happening.

That only goes up to 2021 (and is about as recent as I can find on t'Internet) but AIUI, things have gone a bit Pete Tong for the UK in '22 and will continue to do so going forwards.
right 2021 figures are only just out.....so we keep monitoring, earlier this year the same thing was said, just wait til the 2021 figures come out, then we wil stat to see the impact of Brexit. I said OK, lets wait, and now they are out. And the figures don't look bad.

So we wait again until next year? And then somone will say yes but the forecast is really bad for 2023 and on..and on it goes.

There have been 6 years for the UK economy to go down the shoot. 6 year for other countries to become a larger economy than the UK. it hasn't happened. I am now optomistic it won't.

More predictions, it has been supposed to go down the pan every year since 2016. But it has not.

I'm only interested in historic data.

So I guess you are not too worried by the BofE forecast of 5 quarters of GDP contraction and 13% inflation?

you should be.

Except I have 4 properties in UK. So I want the UK economy to be ok. And it seems to be.

Only in your denial. Totally unable to use the Brexit currency devaluation for anything useful - imports become more expensive just as we make ourselves even more dependent on them, exports are 25% down purely because we have made them far more expensive and complicated to get to our biggest market. Staff shortages are far worse than they would have been and are negatively affecting food production, travel, hospitality and more importantly crucial services like health and social care.

Honestly, I get why people who bought the fantasy wish to deflect and minimise any mention of it, but the UK is staring at far bigger problems than it would otherwise have been. You only have to look at the hilarious creation of a department charged with looking for Brexit benefits for a clue as to what this nonsense has done for us. It's pure "Thick Of It" material except this is no laughing matter and is going to get a whole lot more serious.

Sadly it seems it will take a lot more strife before it is felt that we can face and deal with such a self inflicted state of affairs. The mindless stuff being propogated by the two candidates for PM should have them identified as totally unfit for office but on we go toward the cliff edge as they try to keep pandering to people they sold the nonsense to in order to ward off UKIP's threat to their election prospects (not in Truss's case obvs - she knew better at the time). You would have had a hard time making this stuff up a few years back, but the trouble with telling people their situation is the fault of others is that sooner or later they find out otherwise.

Last edited:
Loads of talk about scrapping EU regulations 6 years after the referendum. That could cost the chemical industry around £2bn. What of other sectors? Why are the Tories expecting UK businesses to stump up billions of pounds to replace EU rules (the vast majority of which Britain's businesses support) with UK red tape developed by one of the country's dimmest ever cabinets? And all during a recession.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back