advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

I didn’t pay much attention to this series as I have “nice” pressings of pretty much all of them, but seems I missed Soul Station earlier this year. BN store says it’s “sold out”. Bah.
Not absolutely clear if it’s available on Amazon…

I didn’t pay much attention to this series as I have “nice” pressings of pretty much all of them, but seems I missed Soul Station earlier this year. BN store says it’s “sold out”. Bah.
Not absolutely clear if it’s available on Amazon…
Rickey,
The Classic is currently unavailable on Amazon, but listed on Honest Jon's at £22 https://honestjons.com/shop/search/Hank Mobley
And I think this one on Soul Brothers is the Classic Reissue: https://soulbrother.com/shop/soul-station-180gm-analogue/ at £23 best to check with them on this one first though.

I only have 4 I think, 3 have minor issues (Cool Struttin' is the worst with distortion on the 1st track) which I should have returned but I don't have the energy. Back at the Chicken Shack is excellent though I have to say. It could be a bit of a lottery.
Gavreid, following on from in Tone Poet thread and the only BN Classic I have bought.

Yes no issues with Back to the Chicken Shack either. Nice flat and very quiet pressing that sounds excellent. Much better than any other version I have heard. In fact quite a revelation in someways as I'm not the greatest fan of the Organ as a jazz instrument, but this pressing really allows you to appreciate that this is as much a Stanley Turrentine album as Jimmy Smith's. I love how the tone of his sax comes over on this imparting a down and dirty feel to the blues tunes under pinned by Jimmy's very low and clear bass pedal rhythm.

I played the Tone Poet of Smith's 'Prayer Meetin' after and although the RTI pressing is perhaps a little quieter still and the sound a little more refined overall. I much prefer the Turrentine's much greater, well into the room, 'presence' and his tone on this.

I don't want to get tempted to try any more these on the ones where I have good already have pressings though. :rolleyes:;)

Dexter Gordon - Go just dropped through the letter box. Pleased to see the poly lined inner again. I'll update on the SQ in a while but great service from Juno again, good solid mailer and 1st class postage all for £2.49 - who needs Amazon ;)

Beautifully quiet - only the hole quite a bit off centre, otherwise very good. My copy is up there with the Jimmy Smith certainly.

Last edited:
Anyone else pre-ordered the Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue? I'm hoping it's a lot better than the BN80 that I have. Oh well, not long to wait...

Anyone else pre-ordered the Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue? I'm hoping it's a lot better than the BN80 that I have. Oh well, not long to wait...

Chas, the BN80 and Classic series are both mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent and pressed at Optimal. Thing is - Midnight Blue wasn’t included in the 80 series from what I can gather, but was included in the 75th anniversary series. If you have a 75th version then the new Classic version should be quite a bit better. Having said that I have yet to hear a poor rendition of this LP, noisy pressing quality notwithstanding.

Last edited:
Is this really a Blue Note Classic?
Mike,
That is what is says on the US Blue Note website in the link. Whether it is really 'A Classic' remains to be seen (Heard). I have never heard it. A few good reports on SH forum that despite the Christmas theme musically it is quite good.

I've pre-ordered. The last couple of Optimals have much better for so I'm hope any QC problems are in the past. Idle Moments this week too - hopefully...

Chas, the BN80 and Classic series are both mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent and pressed at Optimal. Thing is - Midnight Blue wasn’t included in the 80 series from what I can gather, but was included in the 75th anniversary series. If you have a 75th version then the new Classic version should be quite a bit better. Having said that I have yet to hear a poor rendition of this LP, noisy pressing quality notwithstanding.

Graham, I have just checked and it is the 75. So hoping it will be a big improvement.

I've got the BN 75 of Midnight Blue. I'd be interested if anyone is able to do a side by side comparison. The 75 sounds fine to me tbh but if more than an incremental difference I might be interested as its a long term favourite.

I've got Idle Moments on order at the local record store - hopefully it will be in today. That will be replacing my RVG CD so I am anticipating a significant difference.

I've got the BN 75 of Midnight Blue. I'd be interested if anyone is able to do a side by side comparison. The 75 sounds fine to me tbh but if more than an incremental difference I might be interested as its a long term favourite.

I've got Idle Moments on order at the local record store - hopefully it will be in today. That will be replacing my RVG CD so I am anticipating a significant difference.

I don't I'm afraid. If you have a European pressing it's probably pretty good - it's the US pressings that have a bad rep I think. I have Song For My Father and it's really quite poor

My Midnight Blue is on now - it's another great one :) I'm expecting Idle Moments tomorrow. These two are in quite short supply I'm guessing.
My local Indie had their order “forgotten” by Universal so no Blue Note’s for me today :(. They are getting copies of both early next week (Universal still had some stock of both titles).
I’ve got the Classic Records “Midnight Blue” which sounds stunning so it’ll be interesting to see how the new pressing sounds.

advertisement

Back