advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

A Midnight Blue from Honest Jon's has just turned up. The shrink wrap has been opened but the vinyl looks pristine. I'll give it a spin this evening.

Let's hope they just started to inspect their copies rather than selling off returns but it seems wrong without having warned you first...

My Midnight Blue going back, had to listen a 2nd time to see if I could live with it but no, going back. The Few Tone Poets are perfect!

I have brief buzzing and distortion, probably non-fill, in a number of places during the first couple of tracks. It's a shame as it otherwise sounds great.

That's weird: I got a new copy of 'Midnight Blue' via Amazon and it's perfect. Obviously not batch related then.

I think fill problems can be an issue with 180g pressings particularly. It's always the outer track(s) and it can vary across the pressing run as the stamper heats and cools.

That's weird: I got a new copy of 'Midnight Blue' via Amazon and it's perfect. Obviously not batch related then.
Seems to be a bit of a lottery with Optimal at the moment. Quite a few complaining about non fill (or stitching) on Midnight Blue on the SH forum, but some have perfect copies like you. Less complaints about Idle Moments, but still some. I have reasonably good earlier copies of both, but did think I might try for a better Idle Moments. In the end figured it wasn't worth the possible hassle.

I think fill problems can be an issue with 180g pressings particularly. It's always the outer track(s) and it can vary across the pressing run as the stamper heats and cools.
180g can potentially suffer more than say 140g and 200g very often have a problem with non fill. 180g upwards does seem to be a fashionable fad or selling point. I have plenty of records of 140g or even less that are excellent in all respects of pressing quality. I did though have zero issues with non fill on the many BN80's that were Optimal 180g pressings that I bought and also other 180g records pressed by Optimal in the past, but the do seem to have let QC really drop of late given the number of complaints. In general there are a few better pressing plants than Optimal, but also quite a few worst. I suspect it is down to them trying to speed up production due to the backlog and increased vinyl demand.

Seems to be a bit of a lottery with Optimal at the moment. Quite a few complaining about non fill (or stitching) on Midnight Blue on the SH forum, but some have perfect copies like you. Less complaints about Idle Moments, but still some. I have reasonably good earlier copies of both, but did think I might try for a better Idle Moments. In the end figured it wasn't worth the possible hassle.

I had my eye on a Music Matters 33rpm one for a while, but too pricey. The 2 x 45 MM also well out of my range. This one is a very fine sounding copy, but I only have the RvG remastered CD and Spotify version to compare it to.

I had my eye on a Music Matters 33rpm one for a while, but too pricey. The 2 x 45 MM also well out of my range. This one is a very fine sounding copy, but I only have the RvG remastered CD and Spotify version to compare it to.
I said the same in regards to the Music Matters versions of it in the TP thread. Unfortunately all MM's are way out side my price range especially in the UK now. Even if I could afford to buy some more MM's and there are a few I would like left on their site I don't think I would pay the well in excess of £100 that they cost each to get them in the UK. I paid less than £40 each when I bought them. I suppose you still will not loose money on them as 'flippers' are still buying and selling them on for more even at the latest prices. I'm not an investor though and I can't remember when when I last sold a record.

I wish I could say the same - I assume that your spare room is larger than mine Jim ;-)
Paul,
I think there are certainly many that I haven't played for years so I probably should part with some and it may come to that as I really don't have any more room. I did give a few away in the past though and sometimes I think I still have them and start looking for them till I remember. I did virtually stop buying for quite a while, but then the Tone Poet, BN80,reissues and some other excellent releases restarted the addiction. Is there a vinyl-holics anonymous? There should be.:rolleyes:

My system and nearly all records/ CDs are in our living room that is not very large just under about 4m x 4.5m. There are a few elsewhere, but the spare room is pretty much filled with my books and those that I have kept are books by and on photographers that I would not part with either. Other books do come and go. I think I have around 2.5k records and about 600 CDs. The records are starting to spread out onto the floor now. SWMBO is not too pleased and complains everytime she sees another record arrive. :eek::mad: - :(

Paul,
I think there are certainly many that I haven't played for years so I probably should part with some and it may come to that as I really don't have any more room. I did give a few away in the past though and sometimes I think I still have them and start looking for them till I remember. I did virtually stop buying for quite a while, but then the Tone Poet, BN80,reissues and some other excellent releases restarted the addiction. Is there a vinyl-holics anonymous? There should be.:rolleyes:

My system and nearly all records/ CDs are in our living room that is not very large about 3m x 3.5m. There are a few elsewhere, but the spare room is pretty much filled with my books and those that I have kept are books by and on photographers that I would not part with either. Other books do come and go. I think I have around 2.5k records and about 600 CDs. The records are starting to spread out onto the floor now. SWMBO is not too pleased and complains everytime she sees another record arrive. :eek::mad: - :(

That all sounds remarkably familiar...

Got a chance to play Idle Moments this evening. Arrived sealed, looks mint but snap, crackle, pop...

I can live with it but it's frustrating.

(and tbh I feel justified in choosing the more CD more often recently!)

No issues with my Idle Moments or Midnight Blue, both from Honest Jon’s. Both new to me, great music and great sounding.

I've been playing Midnight Blue from Juno this afternoon and sounds ok, if a bit hot on the sax. Silly question I know, but how can you tell audibly and visually if a pressing suffers from non-fill - is it totally obvious from looking at the groove pattern, and what does it sound like?

To clarify why I'm asking - the record sounds a bit 'rough' compared with a stream, but doesn't have any obvious artefacts or errors. I was just expecting it to sound a lot better on vinyl and it feels like it isn't quite right.

Silly question I know, but how can you tell audibly and visually if a pressing suffers from non-fill - is it totally obvious from looking at the groove pattern, and what does it sound like?

Sonically it is a crackle, often on the right channel, even a ‘ripping’ sound. Visually it can occasionally be seen, but only in bad cases, hard to describe, but a slightly patchy area that catches the light in a different way. I’d not want to try and grade it visually.

Sonically it is a crackle, often on the right channel, even a ‘ripping’ sound. Visually it can occasionally be seen, but only in bad cases, hard to describe, but a slightly patchy area that catches the light in a different way. I’d not want to try and grade it visually.

This is my copy of Midnight Blue - from certain angles / light you can see a kind of dot-dash pattern that I can't see on the Grant Green. I guess that is non-fill.

fRb1I7d.jpg

Yes, that’s it. Great photo.

PS It can exist sonically and not be that visible, i.e. I’d not want to guarantee a record that looked fine had no issues.

My copy looked perfect and I thought I'd got lucky. It sounded terrible. Hoping that my replacement copy will be better.

advertisement

Back