advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

My local Indie had their order “forgotten” by Universal so no Blue Note’s for me today :(. They are getting copies of both early next week (Universal still had some stock of both titles).
I’ve got the Classic Records “Midnight Blue” which sounds stunning so it’ll be interesting to see how the new pressing sounds.

I got mine from Juno again

My local Indie had their order “forgotten” by Universal so no Blue Note’s for me today :(. They are getting copies of both early next week (Universal still had some stock of both titles).
I’ve got the Classic Records “Midnight Blue” which sounds stunning so it’ll be interesting to see how the new pressing sounds.

Yes, I went to collect the GG from Wax & Beans and was told they'd been delayed a week. Bit frustrating as I'm a rare visitor to Bury, but massive praise to W&B for looking after me with free postage when it comes in, a free (and spectacularly good!) coffee and free tote bag with another LP I bought in-store. Huge thumbs up!

Idle Moments and Midnight Blue have landed. Lovely sleeves, poly lined inners, vinyl looks spot on….not got either of these previously so looking forward to a listening sesh this evening.

Having waited an eternity for Idle Moments it arrived heavily scratched - I hope I'm not too late for a replacement :mad:

…not got either of these previously so looking forward to a listening sesh this evening.

You are in for a treat then, two of Blue Note’s finest!

PS Idle Moments is the same line-up as Bobby Hutcherson’s The Kicker, which was recorded a week or two later, so they can almost be seen as a pair.

You are in for a treat then, two of Blue Note’s finest!

PS Idle Moments is the same line-up as Bobby Hutcherson’s The Kicker, which was recorded a week or two later, so they can almost be seen as a pair.
It’s impossible to pair two “cooler” jazz albums, isn’t it?!
So good. Idle Moments definitely needed a clean but both sound (and look) excellent.

I picked up my copy of Idle Moments yesterday. Its long been a favourite but I'd only had it on a RSG CD. This is so much clearer, crisper, more dynamic and with greater instrumental presence. Green's guitar sound is pretty much on a par with the Kicker and other TPs he plays on.

Last edited:
My copy of Midnight Blue arrived yesterday and I had a listen last night. The sound quality is a big step up from the BN75 that I have but... manufacturing quality is awful. Lots of quick bursts of distortion which I think is non-fill. This will be going back to Amazon, I will ask for a replacement but don't really expect another copy to be any better.

The QC issues are disappointing, especially given they have apparently replaced the god-awful paper inners. I was half tempted by Midnight Blue just to hear it against my ‘80s Pathe Marconi copy, which was one of the first jazz albums I bought new back when it was the current reissue. I tried a BN Classic (Song For My Father) against a late-90s ‘Mastered By Capital’ 180g ‘Audiophile’ cut and thought the BN Classic just edged it, but not by anything I’m at all bothered about, so I’ll not be swapping any others of these out. I know some folk hate the DMM Pathe Marconi cuts, I’ve never had any issue with them at all and have lots, but it would be interesting to put one up for the fight at some point (the advantage of having a record shop is this nonsense doesn’t cost much, if anything!).

My copy of Midnight Blue arrived yesterday and I had a listen last night. The sound quality is a big step up from the BN75 that I have but... manufacturing quality is awful. Lots of quick bursts of distortion which I think is non-fill. This will be going back to Amazon, I will ask for a replacement but don't really expect another copy to be any better.

Mine is fine, it's worth getting a replacement. I'm having to stick with a scuffed up Idle Moments though as it's sold out pretty well universally...

Mine is fine, it's worth getting a replacement. I'm having to stick with a scuffed up Idle Moments though as it's sold out pretty well universally...

I ordered from Honest Jon's over the weekend as I'd forgotten to buy when I was there last week - it's still listed on their site.

Same here, but Amazon are out of stock now. i've ordered a replacement anyway, so hopefully it does come back in stock and will be better when it does arrive.

Amazon are selling from their Market place sellers, but a little more expensive. From £20.78 with delivery (cheapest).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B096TTNYDP/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Thanks, but it's Midnight Blue I need to replace. My Idle Moments from the same order is fine.

Some of the Marketplace sellers have got MB as well, but it's more expensive and I'm a little reticent to buy from anyone except Amazon direct in this case as the likelihood of a second return seem high unfortunately.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Same also, can't decide whether it's bad enough to go back yet, disappointed

Same also, can't decide whether it's bad enough to go back yet, disappointed

Its this kind of thing that has led me to streaming 90% of the time. It’s ridiculous that you should by a brand new product, at a premium price, in the hope that it works as advertised. What really pisses me off is the initial wet clean/vac to then find its crap and needs to go back. Who has the time for these shenanigans!

Thanks, but it's Midnight Blue I need to replace. My Idle Moments from the same order is fine.

Some of the Marketplace sellers have got MB as well, but it's more expensive and I'm a little reticent to buy from anyone except Amazon direct in this case as the likelihood of a second return seem high unfortunately.
Apologies I misread your post after looking at the Idle Moments posts.
Yes Midnight Blue is about £24 up from Amazon Market place.
£17.99 from Honest Jon's, but I take your point about possible return.
https://honestjons.com/shop/artist/Kenny_Burrell/release/Midnight_Blue

A Midnight Blue from Honest Jon's has just turned up. The shrink wrap has been opened but the vinyl looks pristine. I'll give it a spin this evening.

advertisement

Back