advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

I guess i've been lucky. All but one I've received have met my standards for high end new vinyl. That said, I also appreciate that pressing vinyl is a very tricky thing to get 100% perfect, and even a stray bit of dust on the metal the second it is pressed, can become a pop that will be permanent.

I don't expect vinyl to sound flawless, thats what digital is for, but as long as it is 95%+ there, I'm happy.

Like Shrink above above I have had virtually no problems with the Tone Poets pressed at RTI. There was only one that I would have returned, but I bought that from Amazon France and it was too much of a hazel to return and only a few. A few repeated clicks through one track only. I will concede that of late the background noise is a bit more on some of them especially in it he dead wax, but nothing I would consider returning them for and usually better after a run through my RCM.

Also to be fair I have had virtually zero issues with Optimal pressings at lest with former BN80’s. I have bought very few of the Classics as I had other excellent pressing. I do note there have been too many complainers for there not to be an issue. My only problem was static from those in paper sleeves, but cured after a run through the RCM.

In case of doubt my standards are quite high and my vinyl playback system is good at retaining detail while suppressing noise. Perhaps some people’s problems are caused by too many phone stages not having a large enough overload margin. Then what you hear is mainly exaggerated by the overload. Problem mainly due to not enough voltage from the power supply.

In my case Jim it's usually been warps and dishing rather than clicks and noise. I don't think I got a flat record from RTI last year, I'd need to check.

The new BN Classic list for the remainder of 2024 has just been released. I have four on Music Matters, but I am in for a few of the others where I don’t have these or a decent early copy.

May 17, 2024

• Stanley Turrentine with The Three Sounds – Blue Hour (1960)
  • Hank Mobley – Workout (1961)
June 21, 2024

• Aaron Parks – Invisible Cinema(2008)*
  • Jason Moran – TEN (2010)*
July 19, 2024

• Thad Jones – The Magnificent Thad Jones (1956)
  • Clifford Jordan – Cliff Craft (1957)
August 16, 2024

• Wayne Shorter – JuJu (1964)
  • Lee Morgan – The Gigolo (1965)
September 20, 2024

• Jutta Hipp – At The Hickory House, Vol. 1 (1956)
  • Gene Harris and The Three Sounds – Live at the ‘It Club’ (1970)
October 18, 2024

• Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – A Night In Tunisia (1960)
  • Donald Byrd – Royal Flush (1961)
November 15, 2024

• Dexter Gordon – Gettin’ Around(1965)
  • Duke Pearson – Wahoo (1964)
December 13, 2024

• Lonnie Smith – Drives (1970)
  • Grant Green – Visions (1971)

*mastered from a digital source

I might be tempted to update my BN 75 of Juju as it's a long term favourite but there's little else in that list that's immediately grabbing my attention.

What makes you think that? This is just this years releases.
Well they've been announcing them in 8 month batches and this is another 8 month chunk, so nothing as such. I wonder how sales are holding up now the price has risen quite a bit and they have more titles to keep in print. It does end rather cleanly at year end...

Gavin,
First he makes quite a few generalisations and some errors in his video, but passing on that. I don’t think this series will end any time soon. Universal has reportedly been selling 5,000+ copies of most of these. That is much more than Blue Note sold when they sold on original release of each.

I think the most likely is that they may rename the series as it the 85th Anniversary of Blue Note next year.

advertisement

Back