advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

Not from the Classic series and I’ve not played it yet but the Blakey First Flight To Tokyo looks sensational!

Reuben Wilson/Love Bug on now. Lovely solid pressing, visually immaculate, and no surface noise issues at all thus far. It’s as cool a piece of B3 soul jazz as you could wish for. Lee Morgan and George Coleman enjoying themselves.

Seems the current “known” Classic schedule (that ends with Donald Byrd and Scofield et al titles) is now scheduled to finish up in September next year.

Herbie Nichols up next. All fine physically aside from a bit of vinyl shaving (?) hanging off the edge.
Enjoying the music. Never heard the guy before.
Edit…what sounded like infill on side 2 all fixed with a clean. Shouldn’t have to really with new vinyl but..I do wonder if some folks issues with this series are just that…lack of a clean?

Herbie Nichols up next. All fine physically aside from a bit of vinyl shaving (?) hanging off the edge.
Enjoying the music. Never heard the guy before.
Edit…what sounded like infill on side 2 all fixed with a clean. Shouldn’t have to really with new vinyl but..I do wonder if some folks issues with this series are just that…lack of a clean?

Same here, right down to the vinyl shaving on the Kenny Cox!

All three of the latest releases have been excellent - perfectly flat and sound great. I've had to get a replacement of the Tokyo Blakey record because that was badly warped, but the Classics have been fine.

Played the Kenny Cox last thing last night…probably the best of the 3 for me thus far.
Jimmy Smith tonight and then the Blakey/Tokyo…

Played the Kenny Cox last thing last night…probably the best of the 3 for me thus far.

I really want to like this record, and side 2 has its moments, but I really don't think Leon Henderson truly cuts it. His solos sound like he's feeling his way through the music and changes rather than being on top of it with ideas and something to say. The ghostly presence of Miles and Wayne Shorter doesn't help either. Cruel, I know, but I find it an uncomfortable listen, even though the compositions have merit.

The Jimmy Smith, on the other hand, is great. As long as you like Hammonds, which I do.

Very impressed with the Herbie Nichols transfers. By comparison my Mosaic box set LP versions sound like they have a common cold.

Very impressed with the Herbie Nichols transfers. By comparison my Mosaic box set LP versions sound like they have a common cold.

I'll get the Herbie Nichols when my next pension comes through! Everyone is speaking very highly of it. I fully agree that the Jimmy Smith is a great one

Limited myself to Jackie McLean - Destination Out this time round. Perfect copy, it sounds impressive.

yes, that's the only one on my list this round.

Destination Out! is a classic, but I don’t think you chaps should be overlooking Don Cherry’s Where Is Brooklyn. That one doesn’t come around too often, and I’d highly recommend it especially if you have a taste for the more adventurous BN titles.

Old review from the Guardian nails it:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2005/nov/11/jazz.shopping

Destination Out! is a classic, but I don’t think you chaps should be overlooking Don Cherry’s Where Is Brooklyn. That one doesn’t come around too often, and I’d highly recommend it especially if you have a taste for the more adventurous BN titles.

I'd be great to be able to have them all. Daughter's birthday this month :(

Old review from the Guardian nails it:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2005/nov/11/jazz.shopping
Yes this a great record and important record though perhaps not for everyone. The way Cherry and Saunders anticipate and responded to each other is quite astonishing at times. I had to wait for my other half to go out shopping though before I played this (quite loud) :)
So just spinning my Classic version that arrived yesterday now and it sounds great so far with excellent dynamics clarity and detail especially on Grimes Bass and Blackwell’s drums & cymbals, beautifully captured ring and decay. Good to have a really decent sounding version.

Just finished playing though and this is a top rate mastering and pressing with no problems on my copy. Good to see that this Classic series is now as good or better than the best of the BN80’s. I hope this holds for Destination Out that is up next.

Well if I thought ‘Where is Brooklyn’ sounded top rate this one is one of those all to few HO WOW! moments. I always regretted not having the Music Matters 2x45rpm of this and fairly recently almost bought a copy that was in the UK at a £125, more than I have ever spent on a single LP, but I saw this Classic version was coming and hoped it would be good, but it has exceeded all my expectations. I don’t really want my enthusiasm to run away with me on just one play though, but it is hard not to. I thinking at this stage this must as good or better sounding for recording, mastering and pressing quality as anything I own. OK I love the music and this helps, but this is like taking your system up a few notches, but just with a slab of vinyl.

The dynamics, detail, snap (transient attack), presence and front to back depth is astounding. Jackie is way out into my room on the left with Grachan not far, but a bit little further back on the right with Bobby roughly in the plane of my speakers with Larry Ridley and Roy Haynes stretching further behind, but still with great presence. The snap of Roy’s repeated drum ’wack’ on ‘Esoteric’ is quite startling and on ‘Kahlil The Profit’ when both Jackie and Grachan solo, blasting the music out quite loud you can still hear low down in level underneath and way back (I think it is Larry Ridley, but it could be Bobby, but you can hear it elsewhere behind his solo as well at times*) making encouraging Arrr Arrr and Oooh vocalising all adding to the sense of this sounding real. Mine is a totally silent pressing as well even in the dead wax. Anyone holding fire on this one shouldn’t. :):)

I just need a Classic copy of ‘One Step Beyond’ as good as this now.

*actually I now think it is Roy Haynes as I am just playing ‘It’s Time’ that Haynes is on as well and again although Jackie is in the left channel and Haynes the right you can here a similar voice (but not as clearly) bled in behind Jackie.

Glad to hear Where Is Brooklyn? sounds great, I find the CD version can get a little strident. I’ve never had it on vinyl, so very much looking forward this one.

I have the MM45 of Destination Out! and it sounds excellent, I’ll have to give it another spin after your enthusiastic review. Been catching up with a few Joe Henderson titles on MM45 too. Dynamic range and articulation is stunning on these things, well worth getting out the chair to flip sides every ten minutes. Glad I got them when I did. (£125? I remember paying between £35 - £45 and at the time thinking they were expensive).

Let’s hope Wahoo! and Talkin’ About.... make it the Classic series - two favourites of the MM series I missed out on. And Jim, this is your annual reminder that if you ever want to sell me your MM45 of Talkin’ About just PM me......

Back to the BNCs......

advertisement

Back