advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

Sticking with Blue Note (well mainly) and Don Cherry it is possible that Complete Communion will appear in the Classic Series as it was a BN75 I have the Optimal pressing of that which is reasonably good, but not AAA and an also an earlier reissue. The BN75 is still available, but now seems to be priced well above current Classic prices.

The BN one with him as leader I would really like a good copy of is the 1967 ‘Symphony for Improvisors’. Unlikely to appear in Classics though? I have been hoping For a Tone Poet of this one at some point. There is an Ess-Thetics CD with both CC and SFI on though.

Not a Blue Note, but recorded by Rudy Van Gelder and another essential one is ‘Evidence’(from 1962) together with Steve Lacey, but then I love Steve Lacy’s Recordings. Those interested be should able to find a reasonably price OJC pressing and the recent ‘Sowing’ reissue is OK if not the best.

Not a Blue Note, but recorded by Rudy Van Gelder and another essential one is ‘Evidence’(from 1962) together with Steve Lacy

A favourite - Cherry and Lacy play well together, a preferable pairing than Cherry and Coltrane IMO. OJC version sounds excellent.

A bit of free publicity - Tony L has some great original Lacy titles in his record shop.

It is the only album with Don Cherry as leader I have so not entirely sure what I was expecting!

The Don Cherry is not really to my taste and is perhaps a good reminder to myself that I shouldn't just automatically order everything in this series as soon as it is announced! Still, I'll keep it and maybe grow to love it when I'm a few more years into my Jazz listening experience.

Put any expectations to one side and give it time.

Playing Out to Lunch tonight - ( stopped thinking about the movie - see Verve reissues thread).

The difference between this and French Pathe edition I've had since 1980 is quite pronounced. You can hear the playing far more and the detail of the sound they are getting form their instruments: players are breathing into their mouthpieces and there are drum details and nuances in the trumpet playing I've never noticed before. £21 very well spent.

In terms of vfm the classics ( when glitch free) give the TPs a real run for their money.

In terms of vfm the classics ( when glitch free) give the TPs a real run for their money.

Agreed. Given £20 seems to be the new normal when it comes to new vinyl they are unquestionably a good product and make an extra £15 for a nice vintage-grade cover quite a decision. Since they’ve started arriving in poly inners I’ve no issue with them, though I’d happily pay say an extra fiver for a nice non-gatefold tip-on cover. To be honest whilst the TP gatefolds are lovely they just eat shelf-space, I’d prefer recreations of the originals and only have gatefolds for the albums that originally had them. Sell me the beautiful photographs in a book (I think they have already, I certainly have a big heavy Herman Leonard book!).

Most will remember we had a discussion that started in the Verve AS thread on original, Japanese reissues, reissues TP and Classics that was probably more relevant here or in the Tone Poet thread. I posted some comments from LJC and his (opinion) updated sound quality table. He now has a follow up post at the bottom of his Amanico D’ Silva - Konkan Dance review:
https://londonjazzcollector.wordpre...a-konkan-dance-1972-unissued-roundtable-2021/
That includes this:
“Original vinyl Blue Note just gets more and more scarce, and Blue Note/Don Was/UMG/MMJ hold the key to a brighter vinyl future.” ;)

My sticking point with LJC is his determined conservative taste.

To be fair he makes no bones about that and his taste is probably fairly representative of the average middle-aged BN customer. He makes the occasional sortie into free jazz territory, shrugs and wanders back to what he knows and likes. That doesn't make the blog any less enjoyable for me.

Not a great reviewer really, but he has good things to say about the two latest BN Classics and encourages people to at least give ‘Where Is Brooklyn’ a few tries before the dismiss it:

Has there been any news on a continuation of the series past April?
No they have not posted a a further list although the intention seems to be to continue. It is probably down to pressing plant demands still and that any dates for release they publish may not be met. It would be interesting / helpful if they at least gave an idea of what they will release even with no confirmed dates. Joe Harley has done this with the Tone Poets they are proposing to release into 2023.

Bit behind the pace here…as such only just spinning Jackie McLean/Destination Out for the first time. It’s very much where my jazz head is at the moment. Moving further left from standard blowing sessions without losing the “feel”. Great pressing, great sound.

advertisement

Back