advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

I think Love Bug is a bit of a mixed bag, but there are some tracks on it worth the admission fee. Besides, my better half loves this stuff.

Also looking forward to a - hopefully - more dynamic sounding Herbie Nichols.
My CD copy is not too bad, but I would expect this Classic Vinyl to be better. The Herbie Nichols Trio will be a Tone Poet so it will be interesting to eventually compare the SQ of both.

I prevaricated a bit as it is fairly expensive (but much cheaper than first predicted), but I caved in and ordered the Ornette Coleman Box Set even though I have most of the content in one form or another.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GF6NRTY/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Hopefully this should be top quality sounding mastering as well, particularly in the dynamics. Preorder price has been creeping up and a 28th Jan 22 release. A late arriving Xmas present to myself. :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Amazon US has Jackie McLean’s Destination Out in the Classic Vinyl series for 21st January 22 release. No trace of a UK release yet that I can find though.
https://www.amazon.com/Destination-Blue-Note-Classic-Vinyl/dp/B09J7NS1DV/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3IZJRIUZIURXU&keywords=jackie+mclean+destination+out+blue+note+classic&qid=1638791483&sprefix=Jackie+McLea,aps,243&sr=8-1
I really need a top rate vinyl copy of this.

Excellent! Will certainly be picking this up.

I wonder how Grachan Moncur is doing. He's still with us at 84 but hasn't recorded since 2007.

Excellent! Will certainly be picking this up.

I wonder how Grachan Moncur is doing. He's still with us at 84 but hasn't recorded since 2007.
It is a great shame that Grachan never got the full recognition and ongoing work that he deserved and has suffered from both financial and health problems. He was in particular having dental problems that affected his ability to play. The last I really heard about him was this interview from 2003 where he was still trying to get his playing and life back together.
https://www.allaboutjazz.com/a-fireside-chat-with-grachan-moncur-iii-grachan-moncur-iii-by-aaj-staff

It is a great shame that Grachan never got the full recognition and ongoing work that he deserved and has suffered from both financial and health problems. He was in particular having dental problems that affected his ability to play. The last I really heard about him was this interview from 2003 where he was still trying to get his playing and life back together.
https://www.allaboutjazz.com/a-fireside-chat-with-grachan-moncur-iii-grachan-moncur-iii-by-aaj-staff

Thanks so much for posting that Jim - I'd never seen it before. Yes, it's a tremendous shame that's he's been so neglected. His compositions are such a joy. I need to track down more of his work.

His compositions are such a joy. I need to track down more of his work.
I have a few from the limited available ones as either leader or sideman, but would like more. I have bought the BYG compilation - Aco Dei De Madrugada that Tony has listed. What I would really like is either Tone Poet or Classic series to reissue his only other Bluenote as leader ‘Some Other Stuff ‘ with all 4 compositions by him. This is arguably better than Evolution (I have the MM 2x45rpm of that) or at least even a bit more adventurous, but I expect they might think that may not be a good seller for them although they might be surprised?

What I would really either Tone Poet or Classic series to reissue his only other Bluenote as leader ‘Some Other Stuff ‘ with all 4 compositions by him.

The Heavenly Sweetness LP of Some Other Stuff (circa 2015) is one of their better sounding Blue Note reissues IMO. An interesting and varied album, although I prefer Evolution. Some very haunting music on the latter.

Seems like my luck with these and BN80s has hit a stumbling block. Picked up Jimmy Smith's Home Cookin' earlier and side A is riddled with stitching distortion. Hope a replacement copy is good. I do so tire of dodgy vinyl, honestly.

Seems like my luck with these and BN80s has hit a stumbling block. Picked up Jimmy Smith's Home Cookin' earlier and side A is riddled with stitching distortion. Hope a replacement copy is good. I do so tire of dodgy vinyl, honestly.

Oh no! Good luck!

Haven’t played my copy yet - will get a chance tomorrow. Hopefully it’ll be OK.

Last edited:
Haven’t played my copy yet - will get a chance tomorrow. Hopefully it’ll be OK.

Hopefully mine will drop tomorrow too. Enjoy :)

As an aside, the new Billy Bragg vinyl is delayed for yet another month, probably thanks to Adele, so I ordered the Chrissie Hynde Dylan thing. Shout out to Seismic Records in Leamington...

My Jimmy Smith is a little noisy in the outside tracks but not enough to worry about. Great record.

Sorry to hear some people are still having pressing problem faults with these Classics releases. I preordered 3 from the the latest batch of four and all are top rate quality for both mastering and pressing quality including ‘Home Cooking’. No clicks or pops and very quiet even in the dead wax. This was despite Amazon leaving them outside on Saturday in pouring rain when we were away. They were suppose to deliver today. The outer box pretty much disintegrated, but they were luckily in mailers as well and survived undamaged.:)

Jimmy Smith’s ‘Home Cooking’ sounds excellent with some nice blues playing from Kenny Burrell and Tenor from Percy France.

Glad I didn’t pass on the Kenny Cox ‘Introducing’ where I was tempted to at first after a quick listen on YouTube as this is great musically and with excellent sound quality. Sounds quite different to a Van Gelder recorded Blue Note despite noted as Re-Recording by him? Recorded at Universal Sound Systems, but still sounding good even if different. You can clearly hear a bigger space and separation between instruments with slightly drier sound. Excellent piano sound on this that is sometimes a VG recording weakness. Drum kit recording is perhaps the only slight weakness here in comparison. I expect some though will generally prefer the more far forward Englewood Cliffs VG’s though.

Interesting to compare Leon Henderson’s Tenor to his older brother Joe. Much darker tonality with a more staccato rather than fluid approach. All the musicians are good on this, but especially on the long tracks on side two. I have seen comparisons to Miles Davis’s second Quintet. While I don’t think they reach those heights this is a great Joe Harley find and reissue and it is a pity they only made one more recording as far as I know? Perhaps they will also reissue that second 1970 Blue Note sometime?

The favourite of my three though is the Herbie Nichols combined Vols 1 & 2 as I have long wanted a good vinyl version of this great music that was ahead of it’s time. I thought my CD version had fairly good sound, but this is top rate with much better detail and dynamics and Van Gelder did make an excellent job with the piano sound on this recording. What this mastering adds for me is it makes it much more apparent how much of Ellington you can hear in his sound as well as Monk, but this is no imitation he is still very much an ‘original’ voice.

This a Beautiful noise free pressing. They did a very good job on the sleeve with this one as well making it a gatefold and going as far as having the bar code on an extended hype sticker and not contaminating the sleeve. Although not a Stoughton tip on it still looks pretty good.

I’m glad my personal luck has held with these reissues. :):)

Well the Chrissy Hynde sings Bob Dylan is crazy clicky, cut at Abbey Road pressed at GZ media in CZ - shows how good these Optimal pressings are (or can be) and for the same money too.

I have a few from the limited available ones as either leader or sideman, but would like more. I have bought the BYG compilation - Aco Dei De Madrugada that Tony has listed. What I would really like is either Tone Poet or Classic series to reissue his only other Bluenote as leader ‘Some Other Stuff ‘ with all 4 compositions by him. This is arguably better than Evolution (I have the MM 2x45rpm of that) or at least even a bit more adventurous, but I expect they might think that may not be a good seller for them although they might be surprised?

I have the 90s connoisseur reissue which is very good. I can also recommend the Mosaic select box which also has the Jackie McLean tracks he appears on and an excellent booklet.

Edit to add you can hear earlier Moncur with the always excellent Farmer/Golson jazztet

advertisement

Back