advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

Glad to hear Where Is Brooklyn? sounds great, I find the CD version can get a little strident. I’ve never had it on vinyl, so very much looking forward this one.

I have the MM45 of Destination Out! and it sounds excellent, I’ll have to give it another spin after your enthusiastic review. Been catching up with a few Joe Henderson titles on MM45 too. Dynamic range and articulation is stunning on these things, well worth getting out the chair to flip sides every ten minutes. Glad I got them when I did. (£125? I remember paying between £35 - £45 and at the time thinking they were expensive).

Let’s hope Wahoo! and Talkin’ About.... make it the Classic series - two favourites of the MM series I missed out on. And Jim, this is your annual reminder that if you ever want to sell me your MM45 of Talkin’ About just PM me......

Back to the BNCs......
In general I agree as an overall batch the MM 2x45rpm are the best pressings I own. They just sound ‘right’ to me for both tonality and dynamics and I wasn’t a enamoured with the idea of any 2x45rpm at one time till these converted me. Yes worth getting up to flip sides and I need the exercise. Only exceptions are records where the flipping would ruin the musical flow. I think this Classic of Destination Out is at least up there with the best of the MM’s though. I have heard similar reports about the Classic of Out to Lunch that I passed on as I have the MM. I think paid less than £40 for all of mine and I was lucky enough to pick up a large batch that most were still sealed that averaged out just under £35 each a few years back. That has turned out to be a real bargain seeing how much these have escalated in price.

Unfortunately I don’t have any of the MM’s by Henderson, just various other ‘reasonable / passable’ pressings. I hoping the Classic Inner Urge that I just missed an MM one of will be good.

I’ll leave you ‘Talkin’ About’ in my will :D as it is impossible to know what will happen to all this stuff after we have gone. No wonder I see small ads in in our local free press from ‘dealers’ I expect saying “we buy old records”.

I’ll leave you ‘Talkin’ About’ in my will :D as it is impossible to know what will happen to all this stuff after we have gone. No wonder I see small ads in in our local free press from ‘dealers’ I expect saying “we buy old records”.

Thanks! Apart from Alan at Jazz House, not too keen for any dealer to get their hands on my collection. I’d rather leave it to someone who is going to cherish and enjoy it.

Unfortunately I don’t have any of the MM’s by Henderson, just various other ‘reasonable / passable’ pressings. I hoping the Classic Inner Urge that I just missed an MM one of will be good.

Oh, I’m sure it will. The way things are going it does seem that the Classic series will eventually contain the MM catalogue.

Very happy to have acquired John Scofield - Hand Jive. I saw him live around that same time. This double album includes all the 10 numbers that were on the original CD release. The hard to find original vinyl only had 5.

It’s a great album I’ve never heard before. Love and Hate is the standout for me: it’s so unusual and surprising.

You’re right, it’s quite a varied album and having vibes instead of piano seems to open the sound up.

^ Do you have Evolution with Grachan Moncur as leader? Very much a sister record and reissued as part of BN75 so not bonkers money.

And equally essential and brilliant. If the pet theory of Music Matters titles eventually being released as BNCs is correct, there is hope for Evolution being released as a BNC. Never heard the BN75, maybe it was one of the better examples. The MM45 is exceptional. McMaster’s CD transfer is also pretty good to be going on with, and probably not expensive.

I'm looking forward to these two even more after all of the positive feedback here.

I just wish I hadn't preordered them on the BN store. They are so slow in sending them out and would have turned out slightly cheaper from Amazon as well!

Just bought the Jackie McLean and Don Cherry in town. Playing Jackie on headphones right now, can’t wait to hear it on vinyl when I get home.

* Jackie’s soloing is just brilliant on Khalil the Prophet.

The Jackie McLean is excellent, and definitely one of my favourites in the series so far.

The Don Cherry is not really to my taste and is perhaps a good reminder to myself that I shouldn't just automatically order everything in this series as soon as it is announced! Still, I'll keep it and maybe grow to love it when I'm a few more years into my Jazz listening experience.

I also bought both. The McLean is really good and left a very good first impression, it has got a great feel to it. The Cherry is obviously more challenging and hasn’t fully clicked yet. I guess somewhat unsurprisingly it sounds very like Atlantic-era Ornette Coleman to me. I’m not sure I’m picking up his own voice from it. It is the only album with Don Cherry as leader I have so not entirely sure what I was expecting!

I'm far from expert but I find his work from the late sixties onwards the most interesting as he moved away from what he'd been doing with Ornette towards something we might even call a precursor to 'world music' if that wasn't such a damning term.

Blank Forms published an epic 500 page tome on his life and work with Moki Cherry last year - still on my 'to read' pile.

https://blankforms.org/publication/blank-forms-06-organic-music-societies/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1733723587/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I think they complement each other really well, different levels/types of intensity, exploring different kinds of "out" possibilities. Really enjoying both and this is certainly the most engaging McLean record I've heard so far.

advertisement

Back