advertisement

Blue Note 2019 80th Anniversary Series

Just picked up John Scofield & Donald Byrd albums. No mention of Kevin Gray on the sleeves. Approaching with trepidation but website does say for Byrd:
"This Blue Note 80 Vinyl Edition is all-analog, mastered by Kevin Gray from the original master tapes, and pressed on 180g vinyl at Optimal."
My copy of Ethiopian Knights arrived today and as you say Kevin Gray is not noted on the sleeve, but his initials are in the dead wax of the LP and I could tell it was the real thing before that as I had the usual inner sleeve static problem.

I passed on the Scofield and my Donaldson - Aligator Bogaloo has a 6th September delivery date as well.

I was not sure if I would, but I'm loving this as well. Great vibe to it.

Great sound quality as well especially on 'The Little Rasti' with an excellent soundstage, instrument seperation and wonderful front to back depth.

I was not sure if I would, but I'm loving this as well. Great vibe to it.

Great sound quality as well especially on 'The Little Rasti' with an excellent soundstage, instrument seperation and wonderful front to back depth.

I was already a big fan of this album and the new pressing does sound really good.

Enjoying the cool groove of Alligator Bogaloo this morning ( even this one 'O' version ;)). Can't say the cymbal drop outs on Idris Mohammed's kit really bothered me and his drum patterns are really inventive. The upper harmonics on Melvin Lasties cornet seem to be all there when he is in the right channel. Anyway "The songs the Thang".

I've never that keen on jazz organists except perhaps Larry Young, but these BN80's are with Lonnie Smith may convert me?

My next batch of three BN80's are due to arrive tomorrow. Particularly looking forward to Una Mas and October's three are already on order. Damm the expense!:p

Well I just bought a couple of the Music Matters series that may come on Saturday so they'll tide me over until Tuesday :)

Anyone played the Art Blakey - Indestructable yet? My copy seems very good, warp-free too. I keep thinking there’s distortion on Curtis Fuller’s trombone but I think that just how it sounds, can’t hear any issues elsewhere. Very happy with this one and it’s totally new to me too. Could never really get on with Blakey but might revisit his other albums now.

Have been catching up with these three latest releases today and enjoying them all so far started with Blakey's hard driving 'Indestructible'. It needs to be with the pace it pushes along at and the solos from Morgan and Shorter seem almost desperate with the their speed and excitement. Were they pushing to out do each other, impress Blakey or was Shorter already thinking he would show Miles what he could do, as this was just before he joined the second Quintet. Recorded in 1964 though not released in 1963 as it say on the cover. With Blakey at times in overdrive it's almost all too much.

I knew I would love Una Mas and I do. Have been a fan of his compositions and playing since first hearing him on record. Listening To Una Mas made me dig out my copy of 'Coltrane Time' on the Solid State label, issued in 1963, and I brought in 1970. So nearly 50 years! This is where I first heard and appreciated him, particularly on his own composition 'Shifting Down'. This album was first released under Cecil Taylor's name in 1959 as 'Stereo Drive' with John Coltrane, Chuck lsraels (bass) and Lois Hayes (drums) as well as Taylor and Kenny. Great recording by an engineer called Fernando Vargas who I have never heard of. As this is on Solid State it would make a great Tone Poet release. I hope Joe Harley has heard this one.

Both the above sound excellent as usual. It would seem unlikely they could have better sound and pressing quality as a Tone Poet. Una Mas seems particularly good to me as Herbie Hancock piano is probably at its best for Van Gelder and while not having so spotlighting on solos as some of the other releases there is a certain coherence about it that is very convincing.

Enough distractions, got to get back to listening as still to hear Hub-Tones.

I love 'Una Mas', having the MM 2 x 45 version: one of the finest Latin jazz albums ever. I also have the 2 x 45 version of 'Hub-Tones', so I haven't been tempted by the BN80 versions.

However, I don't have Blakey's 'Indestructible': I'm trying to be restrained, but I might be failing...

Just excitedly broke open my copy of Takin' Off, and was disappointed to find a significant dish warp. It had the same static problems mentioned before, and though side 1 sounded fantastic, the B side was crackly as hell and had a skip right in the middle of the quiet piano break in the middle of the first track. This wasn't dust or static related and I can only assume that it's a pressing fault on the left channel. Disappointing, since the sound quality is superb. I'll be sending it back to Dodax due to the warp and hopefully the replacement will be in better shape. Still waiting on Doin' Alright, Johnny Griffin and Grant's first stand to arrive, hope they're better too!

I have brought quite a few things from Dodax, but fortunately have not had any problems. Good to hear their customer service is good though. All the 3 you still have on order great music and recordings / masterings. All my pressings were also first rate.

Great to hear! Those three just arrived today, so I'm looking forward to going home this evening to give them a spin.

The three new 80ths arrived today (not supposed to be released until tomorrow) and yay they've sorted the inner sleeves :)

Hi Jim, Yes they are but now with a vinyl inner and sized properly too. On first contact they seem to be lacking the excess static too but I didn't really check for that as I was so excited at not having to cut the record out of the sleeve :)

advertisement

Back