advertisement

Blue Note 2019 80th Anniversary Series

Amazon often send LPs a day or so early so that they arrive on the release date.

Yep I get that but the release date is tomorrow, not today... Every other record has always arrived on the release date itself. As I say, according to Amazon, they're still pre-order....

My three all arrived about 30 minutes ago, so on release date. All were three loose in the Amazon box this time, no mailers, insuffient stuffing, but no damage I can see. The new inner sleeves have totally solved the previous problems. No static at all and records slip in and out of the sleeves really easily. I'll probably still transfer them to MoFi inners, but it's good to know that someone has finally listened and solved the problems.

Mine were cleaned and into MoFi inners last night... Although as you allude to, not really necessary this time round.

The latest ones have just arrived and Grant Green and Horace Silver have gone back to the crappy inners. The two Art Blakey are fine....

Mine just arrived from Amazon 15 minutes ago. Complete turnabout on standard of packing this time. Overkill packaging. All four records in individual mailers, all inside the usual large box, but this time every bit of excess space packed tightly with air bags. Final price was about £2.00 lower this time as well.

Looking forward to finding sometime to give these a spin over the weekend.

PS. Yes they used same problem inner sleeves on Horace Silver and Grant Green. Other two OK. Bizarre!

Could be I guess but would have put them out of sync with last month’s although I have no idea what the manufacturing schedule would like like....

Well unfortunately I couldn't manage to get a listen to this latest batch over the weekend, but I have a day to myself today to enjoy some good Jazz :)

I have started with the Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers vol. 1 & 2. I have not heard these Jazz Corner of the World recordings before and while they are not anywhere near the top of the Blue Notes for sound quality the ambiance of the club comes over well and you get the feeling the band are really enjoying themselves playing this gig. There are some great solos from Shorter, Morgan and Timmonds, but poor old Bobby Timmons is having to put up with about the most out of tune piano I have heard on records. I'm not trying to start a Blackfire gate, where it didn't bother me, but this piano, not the recording of it is pretty bad. Shows what pianists had to put up with in clubs sometimes. Shame as I like a lot of the inventiveness in his solos. Shorter gets the best of the recording with Van Gelder's typical spotlighting and plays some great stuff (as always), but interestingly his tone throughout on this seems different from 'normal' much more 'sinuous and fruity'' than I expect from him. Was he using a different mouth piece & Reed or was It down to Van Gelder's mike? I love Lee Morgan's muted solo on High Modes even if Leonard Feather seems to think he sounds like Dizzy. Not too much overkill drumming from Blakey on this either, who can sometimes be a bit much for me.

Both pressings were noise free and flat. :) So time to move on to the next two from the batch now.

Just bagged the Art Blakey Vol 1 and Inventions And Dimensions from local HMV. Look lovely. More later...!

I know I’m incredibly late to these resissues but blimey these 2 are good. Might have to pop back to HMV tomorrow and scoop up any others they have.

advertisement

Back