advertisement

Blue Note 2019 80th Anniversary Series

Does it play without obvious problems? Do you use a record clamp or weight that can possibly help. Seems some people on SH are keeping them and I think some have had more than one bad copy. Blame is being attributed to Optimal not Amazon. So if it's not annoying keep it. It is a freeby.

Thanks, wise words, and for once, you are saving me money! (Although I should point out how grateful I am for the money you've made me spend on the Rendell reissues).

Dished is the word, indeed.

Amazon have agreed to refund me without my bothering to return them, after I whinged, so this presents a dilemma. Do I keep the 'dished' but playable copies, effectively free, or order yet another set (from Jazz House), in the quest for perfection.

You need one of these:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=173940404077

An expensive solution, but I use one all the time: warped records are no problem at all now :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
What you really need is one of these: http://www.furutech.com/2013/02/02/1790/ a snip at about $3,000 or if your a cheapskate you could just get one of these: https://www.vinylflat.com/ssl/ popular with a few posters on Steve Hoffman. ;)

I do just about remember years ago flattening a very badly warped LP, I think Mahavishnu Orchestra- Birds of Fire between two heavy sheets of plate glass in our oven. That seemed to be the DIY method then. I think it worked, I'll have to dig it out and give it a play?

I've got an AT-618, a cheaper and lighter version. I guess it might help for dished records on the concave side. However I'm not really having problems playing the dished 80th LPs I've got now, so all is well.

The one I indicated is actually a vaccuum platter. It holds a record flat for the duration of play. You've got to be careful to ensure that the side facing down (and the mat itself) are clean of debris, but after three years of use, I've had no issues. Probably not a great match for suspended belt drives, great on beefy D/D turntables.

The one I indicated is actually a vaccuum platter. It holds a record flat for the duration of play. You've got to be careful to ensure that the side facing down (and the mat itself) are clean of debris, but after three years of use, I've had no issues. Probably not a great match for suspended belt drives, great on beefy D/D turntables.

Theo I think you have an L-07D like me? Assuming no warp do you think it sounds better than direct to the plater? Not that I do that, I prefer a Ringmat interface. How much do you need to raise the VTA for it?

Yes, I also have an L-07D (with an SME V). I left the original mat in place and plonked the vaccuum mat on top. VTA adjusted accordingly on both arms. I've tried a Ringmat, the Funkmat, the Trio ceramic mat (still have that one), and the vaccuum mat - my favourite option to date. Very noticable reduction in the noise floor, far more solid imaging/soundstage. It's sometimes a pain to use on short album sides mind...

Thanks. Yes I have an SME as an alternative arm as well, so obviously you can get enough arm height for correct VTA with one on the platter. I saw one in the classifieds here and was tempted to give it a try, but decided it was just too much of a faff for me these days.

Just got round to playing Grant Green - Grant’s First Stand.What a stunning record - great sound yet again. We’re being spoilt!

Just got round to playing Grant Green - Grant’s First Stand.What a stunning record - great sound yet again. We’re being spoilt!

We are indeed being spoiled. In addition to the 80th anniversary GrantGreen release there’s a Tone Poet release in October - Born To Be Blue.

This whole Blue Note re-release programme is fantastic, and Don Was deserves a huge thank you for organising it.

I've just got my first of these, the Dexter Gordon and the Hancock, and they really do sound fantastic, the Gordon in particular. I was planning a very parsimonious approach to the series but I'm now thinking I might just buy all of them and let my tastes catch up.

I've just got my first of these, the Dexter Gordon and the Hancock, and they really do sound fantastic, the Gordon in particular. I was planning a very parsimonious approach to the series but I'm now thinking I might just buy all of them and let my tastes catch up.

Resistance is futile.

Tone Poets next, Sean. It's a slippery slope, but it's good to slide now and again.

I was planning a very parsimonious approach to the series but I'm now thinking I might just buy all of them and let my tastes catch up.

A neat way of putting it. I'm sure the 80th and Tonepoet series will be around for a while, but I do wonder if it'll ever happen like this again.

advertisement

Back