advertisement

Blue Note 2019 80th Anniversary Series

...and today back to HMV for 4 80ths and dammit they had a Tone Poet (Lou Donaldson ). Next couple of nights listening sorted. I guess I need to keep an eye on the early ones selling out.

...and today back to HMV for 4 80ths and dammit they had a Tone Poet (Lou Donaldson ). Next couple of nights listening sorted. I guess I need to keep an eye on the early ones selling out.

No immediate problem with them selling out. They are not a limited number of pressings as with AP or Music Matters reissues as there is no licensing involved. They did under estimated how well the Tone Poets would sell at first though so the initial runs where not that large, but some of the early ones like NHSNHS and Etcetera have already been repressed.

The next three Blue Note 80's:
  • Jimmy Smith – Groovin’ At Smalls’ Paradise, Vol. 1 (1957)
  • Lonnie Smith – Live at Club Mozambique (1970)
  • Lee Konitz – Alone Together (1996)
are available to pre order from Amazon. The Konitz & Lonnie Smith are both double albums so slightly higher price. I have the Konitz on CD and that is a great session and recording.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Z761S1M/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
The link is to the Konitz, but scroll down and you will see the other two. Release date 13th December.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Very good price on Mr Shing-A-Ling (I realise it's a TP not an 80th) and as it's the only one I don't have I'd have bought it were it not sold out... doh!

That's a good reminder to wait for Black Friday. I have bought most of the TPs and 80ths and I reckon I'd have saved well over £200 with these prices.

Typically the only three that I want are still cheaper at Dodax than on the BN site!

Edited to add: It looks as though some of the TPs are sold out anyway.

Folks, might not be right place for this but posting here as such a lot of knowledge on this thread re Blue Note...
As well as getting up to speed latterly with the 80th Anniv and Tone Poet series, I’ve been lucky in that my local 2nd hand record shop has recently taken in a huge jazz collection that includes a lot of Japanese Blue Notes, (early 80s King Records and 90s Toshiba). As such I’m somewhat confused (rather delightfully) and overwhelmed by what to buy (equally delightfully but skint!).
Anyone care to share thoughts on relative sound quality/pressing quality etc.
Will be a big help and possibly stop me from selling a kidney.

Ricky,
Lucky find if the prices are good. King Records 80's reissues are thought to be the best of the Japanese Blue Note reissues. 80's Toshiba's a little behind that and then 90's King's and Toshiba's. I don't have any Kings, but a few Toshiba's. My Toshiba's are very good, but probably not quite up to Tone Poet standard. I have usually paid around £40 for NM or Ex copies, but condition is everything as always and of course some rarer copies fetch much higher prices.

Just pick from the artists you like most. Some more details can be found on many of these on a London Jazz Collectors site. Here is the search on King Records. Caveat is he that nearly always prefers (expensive original copies).

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/?s=King+Records&submit=Search

Thanks poco, really useful. The 90s Toshibas I’ve bagged so far sound great but a Jutta Hipp Hickory House (vol 2) on 80s King is the peak thus far!
I feel a strategy forming.

Bagged Messrs Smith and Smith today from HMV (no sign of Konitz). Look lovely. Will spin later in the week. Also grabbed the Bobbi Humphrey. New artist for me.

Same here, had to cut them out of the sleeves. I don’t think my wife was impressed with the Jimmy Smith either by the way she asked me to turn it off..... :D:D

It's very annoying that they have gone back to the static prone tight sleeves. Hopefully it is just this batch and possibly they were already pressed and packed prior to earlier releases?

I think I have decided to pass on these three as I have heard the Jimmy Smith and its not something I would play often and the recording doesn't have much of a reputation either. I don't think the Lonnie Smith would get much time on the turntable here either. I think 'Alone Together' is a really excellent live set, but the CD is a really excellent recording by Mark Levinson's engineer Kurt Lundvall, I think recorded digitally, so do I need the Vinyl? I have also been re-evaluating many of my CD's, for the better, since getting my new D&D 8c speakers. I may weaken on this one just to make the comparison.

My copy of the Kevin Gray AAA mastered Grant Green - 'Sunday Morning' has just arrived from Canada, the next two Tone Poets are on pre order and I need to find some post Christmas money for the Tubby Hayes vinyl box set and Speakers Corner Vinyl 'Mingus at Antibes'.

advertisement

Back