advertisement

Blue Note 2019 80th Anniversary Series

I'm just spinning the Freddie Hubbard - Open Seasame again today and I have to say this is becoming a firm favourite from both reissue series so far. Sounds wonderful (with some of my usual reservations about Van Gelder treatment of piano) and great performances from all especially the solos from Freddie and Tina Brooks. Incredible pace and from this band driven by Clifford Jarvis, who I have not heard much of, on drums. Listen to his exchanges with Freddie on All or Nothing at All. Hard Bop at it's best.

Anyone have the pre-ordered Alligator Bogaloo showing on Amazon that the release date is now September? Blue Note page still shows August btw....

No I had not ordered yet, but wanted this and Ethiopian Knights and that still is indicted as 9th August. The John Scofield - Hand Jive seems to have no pre order for BN80 yet, but I'm passing on that one anyway. No idea why the changed unless its availability due demand or production problems? US Amazon (via U.K. Amazon) still says 9th August.

My Lonnie Smith - Think, Reuben Wilson - Blue Mode and Bobbi Humphrey - Blacks & Blues from the July issues are due to arrive today.

It only changed today and on checking Amazon have sent me an email too just saying the date was changed by the supplier.

Oh, and my Grant Green and Herbie Hancock 80ths came today. The Herbie Hancock has a bit of a warp that normally wouldn't bother me but after being spoiled with how flat these and the Tone Poets have been it may well be going back....

My three July issues listed above have arrived and had the worst static charge on all of them I have received yet and I thought the first set was bad. Wouldn't respond to the Zerostat at all this time, only way to get them out of the inner sleeves was to tear these off and the static was still making the sleeves stick to the discs. They really need to sort this problem out so as to avoid possible damage.

The Reuben Wilson also seems to have a slight warp, but I'll check how it plays as soon as I get a chance.

Just streamed the Reuben Wilson; happy to give this one a miss.

Pleased I ordered the Bobbi Humphrey one though; more in the CTI/Kudu mode, which suits me fine.

Reuben Wilson and Lonnie Smith collected today. Both discs quiet and flat, static not too much of a problem. Excellent sound, some great playing. Just wish the 75th series had been done this way.

My Reuben Wilson did not show any real signs of a warp when I played it and it sounded very good. The Lonnie Smith that was not a a Van Gelder recording sounded exceptional IMO. Really great sound quality. Very large studio space apparent, lovely bass pedal notes from the organ and good weight and transients to the drums and shimmering air to the cymbals, lovely.

I was going to pass on all three of these, but in a moment of weakness online or after too many beers I bought all three and I'm really liking two of them especially the performances on Think. Although the Bobbi Humphrey has good sound as well I think I should have passed on this, very much 'of its period', but I'll give another spin to see if I change my mind.

My Reuben Wilson did not show any real signs of a warp when I played it and it sounded very good. The Lonnie Smith that was not a a Van Gelder recording sounded exceptional IMO. Really great sound quality. Very large studio space apparent, lovely bass pedal notes from the organ and good weight and transients to the drums and shimmering air to the cymbals, lovely.

I was going to pass on all three of these, but in a moment of weakness online or after too many beers I bought all three and I'm really liking them especially the performances on Think. Although the Bobbi Humphrey has good sound as well I think I should have passed on this, very much 'of its period', but I'll give another spin to see if I change my mind.

Thanks, I have all three sat in front of me waiting to be cleaned and played (once I’ve got them out of their inner sleeves).

I'm just spinning the Freddie Hubbard - Open Seasame again today and I have to say this is becoming a firm favourite from both reissue series so far. Sounds wonderful (with some of my usual reservations about Van Gelder treatment of piano) and great performances from all especially the solos from Freddie and Tina Brooks. Incredible pace and from this band driven by Clifford Jarvis, who I have not heard much of, on drums. Listen to his exchanges with Freddie on All or Nothing at All. Hard Bop at it's best.

Fully agree: it's a wonderful sounding session and pressing.

I struggle to understand the differing pricing structure between these and the Tone Poet releases, apart from the superior sleeves, that is. The 80th Anniversary issues have all been of the same quality in terms of mastering and pressing quality IME.

Fully agree: it's a wonderful sounding session and pressing.

I struggle to understand the differing pricing structure between these and the Tone Poet releases, apart from the superior sleeves, that is. The 80th Anniversary issues have all been of the same quality in terms of mastering and pressing quality IME.

In the states the price is not that much different. Although Blue Note's official price there for the Tone Poets is $35 most people seem to be getting them for around $25 and the BN80's for a bit less than $20. Many people there saying they would be happy to pay $10 more for better sleeves and proper non static inners. I would be very happy to get the Tone Poets for anywhere near $25 (£20) and the BN80's at about £15 or £20 with better sleeves. :rolleyes:

As the Tone Poets are pressed in the States by RTI the final record has to be imported with shipping and associated import costs.

The BN80's have the metal work produced by RTI, but just the stampers are shipped to Optimal in Germany for pressing. Shipping from Germany will be cheaper and no import tariffs, but after the 31st October who knows what the price might be?

Oh well, I’ve just played the first (for me) musical clunker. Bobbi Humphrey does nothing for me, my problem I know.

Just picked up John Scofield & Donald Byrd albums. No mention of Kevin Gray on the sleeves. Approaching with trepidation but website does say for Byrd:
"This Blue Note 80 Vinyl Edition is all-analog, mastered by Kevin Gray from the original master tapes, and pressed on 180g vinyl at Optimal."
and for Scofield:
"This 180g Blue Note 80 Vinyl Edition mastered by Kevin Gray arrives on the 25th anniversary of the album’s original release on August 9, 1994, and marks the 1st time the full 10-track album will be released on vinyl."

Looks like Lou Donaldson - Alligator Bogaloo has gone back to September 6th

My copies of Lonnie Smith's "Think!" and Donald Byrd's "Ethiopian Knights" are on their way to me. Looking forward to both.

advertisement

Back