advertisement

Big life change and everthing is now for sale

We packed up and moved from London around 5 years ago - never looked back. Can't beat being by the coast and we're around 75 minutes from St Pancras if we need/ want to go back to London.good luck with wherever you decide upon.

Anglesey has got to be worth a shout?

There are some spectacular spots on the Welsh coast (and some not so nice…). Prices are going bananas, which is ridiculous when you look at the local economy (although no different in Devon, Cornwall etc). I think the current boom will settle down once bosses want people back in the office.

There are many fabulous beaches in that part of Cornwall often tucked away and we visit all times of the year even in Winter. Waves that hit the rocks and go 30 ft or so into the air, a beach full of foam from a sea water and gale winds colloid that are blown into the air overhead.

And the Minack theatre. All visitors ought to experience at least one evenings performance sat on stone seats as the Sun gradually sets behind the actors over the sea - wonderful.

I'm missing it already! Roll on September!

DV

I May have found a place , Not telling yet as it's very early days , To early to get excited

And now I may not have found a place , Got all excited until I noticed a crack on a internal wall ( From a photo ) Phoned the agents and asked , The reply was " Oh yes the property does require some work , Underpinning ) No mention of that on the agents advert
Made a few call and reading between the lines that may be £30K to £50K to sort out , Hmm

Although if it is subsidence, the current owners should be able to claim on their insurance and get the work done before any sale. If you really love the place you could make that a condition of buying it. If it’s done properly it won’t re-occur, unless of course you’re sitting on a fault line! :)

Although if it is subsidence, the current owners should be able to claim on their insurance and get the work done before any sale. If you really love the place you could make that a condition of buying it. If it’s done properly it won’t re-occur, unless of course you’re sitting on a fault line! :)

The owners are now both dead and as far as I know it's the next of kin just wanting rid
I have suggested a £40K reduction to the estate agents , See what happens

Northumberland would be my pick.

Mine too, very underated part of the coastline. I lived in Whitby (North Yorks) from 14-21, I absolutely love the place but it's packed in the summer and can be desolate in the Winter, it's 20 miles from in any direction to the next big town so can feel isolated.

We spend a lot of time in Whitstable as my Mother in Law lives in Tankerton, they are both expensive but there's plenty of sailing. Another shout for Rye too.

Cheers BB

Any southerner looking to move as far north as Scotland, who has not spent long periods there before, would do well to rent for at least a year. For many, the short days and low light levels do not work at all well during the winter and never offset the opposite during summer.

The folks I'm buying the a house in Tomintoul from moved up from England 3 years ago without having lived anywhere as remote before and I think they found the distance from family a challenge (not helped by Covid of course) so are now moving back.

Some good friends of ours have retired to a remote fishing village (hamlet, really) on the Northumberland coast. They are loving all the walks, but by 'eck the wind and cold in the winter are something else - their house is unsheltered from the very large beach and boy do they know it. They have family nearby, so it makes sense for them..... but the rest of us just enjoy the visits.

I'd like to run away from it all (Tomintoul looks very nice) but sadly Mrs Seeker is nearing retirement and does not relish moving to anywhere approaching the a**e end of nowhere.

The owners are now both dead and as far as I know it's the next of kin just wanting rid
I have suggested a £40K reduction to the estate agents , See what happens
The last time I did an insurance quote for our home in Hull, one that was for a policy with previous subsidence issues and one without, the prices were 1300 vs 300.

I'd like to run away from it all (Tomintoul looks very nice) but sadly Mrs Seeker is nearing retirement and does not relish moving to anywhere approaching the a**e end of nowhere.

The Tomintoul house is really being bought as a weekend place although we might stage there at some point in our retirement, when we decide to sell our Edinburgh place. We haven't yet decided where we definitely want to retire to, as it might depend on whether we get back into the EU!

Some good friends of ours have retired to a remote fishing village (hamlet, really) on the Northumberland coast. They are loving all the walks, but by 'eck the wind and cold in the winter are something else - their house is unsheltered from the very large beach and boy do they know it. They have family nearby, so it makes sense for them..... but the rest of us just enjoy the visits.

When you take wind chill into account T-shirt warm days on the Northumberland coast are quite rare even at the height of summer. It follows that whilst relatively low rainfall numbers may look attractive, a day with some some cloud and drizzle on the West Coast of Scotland can be much more pleasant. I certainly couldn't bear a winter in sight of the Northumberland coast.

Everyone underestimates how Galloway is, until they see the facts, but, that's why it's relatively quiet
which is good.

I'd also be wary of living right on some parts of the cost. When we first married, we rented a flat on the sea and some days I could barely keep the car door open with the wind. Vowed to never buy on the water in the UK unless you are aware of the prevailing wind conditions. Other countries are different

When you take wind chill into account T-shirt warm days on the Northumberland coast are quite rare even at the height of summer. It follows that whilst relatively low rainfall numbers may look attractive, a day with some some cloud and drizzle on the West Coast of Scotland can be much more pleasant. I certainly couldn't bear a winter in sight of the Northumberland coast.
I spent just under a year in Spittal, Berwick on Tweed. One street back from the sea. It was fresh in the summer and utterly bitter in winter.

Mine too, very underated part of the coastline. I lived in Whitby (North Yorks) from 14-21, I absolutely love the place but it's packed in the summer and can be desolate in the Winter, it's 20 miles from in any direction to the next big town so can feel isolated.

We spend a lot of time in Whitstable as my Mother in Law lives in Tankerton, they are both expensive but there's plenty of sailing. Another shout for Rye too.

Cheers BB
Unfortunately the Boden brigade have ‘discovered’ Northumberland & large parts are now ruinously expensive (Alnmouth, Bamburgh etc)

I do like the idea of living on the coast, but the salty air does limit the scope of what you can grow in the garden, and I think that would rule it out for us. Not to mention the effect on cars.

advertisement

Back