advertisement

Big life change and everthing is now for sale

To be honest tho...I agree. Be near the coast do, but living is far better a few miles inland
mostly cos you get a good bit more for your buck if 'seaview' is not on the description.
Just hop on a bus and go look whenever you want, but those winds!

To be honest tho...I agree. Be near the coast do, but living is far better a few miles inland
mostly cos you get a good bit more for your buck if 'seaview' is not on the description.

That's why we've struggled to justify a move away from a leafy suburb, in our case Jesmond in Newcastle. Easy Metro rides to; the coast for a meal and a few drinks, the town for shows and restaurants, the Airport for Italy and the train station to Sheffield for the football. Then a drive out to Northumberland or the Lakes whenever the weather turns out nice.

We are all different and for me peace comes from not from the place i'm in but knowing that I can travel.

The last time I did an insurance quote for our home in Hull, one that was for a policy with previous subsidence issues and one without, the prices were 1300 vs 300.

agreed , steer clear of any house with subsidence !!!

when you come to sell , it may be a total pitb to sell with subsidence history

I do like the idea of living on the coast, but the salty air does limit the scope of what you can grow in the garden, and I think that would rule it out for us. Not to mention the effect on cars.
I bought a 10 year old Volvo in Berwick, it was covered in rust. That's a Volvo. OK, a cheap Dutch made one, but still a rotten Volvo.

That's why we've struggled to justify a move away from a leafy suburb, in our case Jesmond in Newcastle. Easy Metro rides to; the coast for a meal and a few drinks, the town for shows and restaurants, the Airport for Italy and the train station to Sheffield for the football. Then a drive out to Northumberland or the Lakes whenever the weather turns out nice.

We are all different and for me peace comes from not from the place i'm in but knowing that I can travel.
Same for me here in Leeds. Yorkshire Dales for a day out, NY Moors, peaks, and easy access to trains and planes.

I honestly think that lots that pay through the neck for house on the coast still spend most of their time looking at the TV....:) :)

I fish all over Scotland in Bolt Holes throughout spring summer and autumn. I have small boats for fly fishing moored in different places. Think deeply about moving North. So far it has been freezing and we are coming to June. When June comes, that is your normal outdoor job time finished. Midges will get you working on a car or boat or anything outside. Barbies are seldom on either with midge or rain. Winter is rain and no sun. Everything is a drive away and postage is loaded.
Your car wiring will get eaten by mice and the tools in your garage will rust for fun with damp. There will be foresters with chainsaws and farmers out with quad bikes at 5.30. People also burn their cardboard and rubbish once a week in fires on their fields
My nice suburb of Paisley is deadly quiet in comparison and easy in winter.

I was born in Scarborough, now live in Sheffield & much prefer to live in a vibrant city with countryside on our doorstep. Seaside towns can be rather inward looking & there is very little to do in the grim winter.

I fish all over Scotland in Bolt Holes throughout spring summer and autumn. I have small boats for fly fishing moored in different places. Think deeply about moving North. So far it has been freezing and we are coming to June. When June comes, that is your normal outdoor job time finished. Midges will get you working on a car or boat or anything outside. Barbies are seldom on either with midge or rain. Winter is rain and no sun. Everything is a drive away and postage is loaded.
Your car wiring will get eaten by mice and the tools in your garage will rust for fun with damp. There will be foresters with chainsaws and farmers out with quad bikes at 5.30. People also burn their cardboard and rubbish once a week in fires on their fields
My nice suburb of Paisley is deadly quiet in comparison and easy in winter.
yes letter on honest John's page this week mentioned some poor chap with a 320i sport with a wiring loom attacked by mice. Apparently they are attracted by the soya oil used in the insulation!!

I was born in Scarborough, now live in Sheffield & much prefer to live in a vibrant city with countryside on our doorstep. Seaside towns can be rather inward looking & there is very little to do in the grim winter.
yes occassionaly I try in vain to shift the Mrs to Torquay but she is having none of it !

Not to mention the effect on cars.

I have what's now a bordeline classic and just need to be more on top of things then if I were inland. That means putting her away in the garage (something most of us in the UK seem never to do because the garage is where all the junk goes!) and being meticulous about washing/waxing etc.

advertisement

Back