advertisement

Big life change and everthing is now for sale

I moved down to West Sussex, where Chichester Harbour is good pootling ground, or you can go out to sea too. Good sea bass fishing, as well as shoals of mackerel in season - they almost literally jump into the boat.

Enjoy your retirement!

Any southerner looking to move as far north as Scotland, who has not spent long periods there before, would do well to rent for at least a year. For many, the short days and low light levels do not work at all well during the winter and never offset the opposite during summer.

Fishing and boats - south coast, but move to less expensive, less desirable, essentially commutable, areas into Devon or even Cornwall, and it does nothing but rain all winter, and a good bit of the rest of the year.

I worked in extreme S Scotland for a year and lived in Devon for around 4.

and prescriptions are free.

As they are in England, for over 60's.

Having seen a pic of your hifi room Al, (that you sent when you took a Pioneer amp off me via the Wam), I'm not sure 3 months is gonna be enough to get sorted! You had a lot of stuff iirc :D. Good luck with it all, exciting change.

Not sure yet , I have a buyer for my house and he knows I will need 3 months to sort things out , Any suggestions ?
I'd follow the sun. I'm in strasbourg but the weather still annoys me. It's been raining since the middle of last October. Not sure why, but the older I get the more I hate rubbish weather. I need to move to Nice or Portugal even.

Having seen a pic of your hifi room Al, (that you sent when you took a Pioneer amp off me via the Wam), I'm not sure 3 months is gonna be enough to get sorted! You had a lot of stuff iirc :D. Good luck with it all, exciting change.

What's left will go into storage until I find a new home , Remind me , What amp was it ????

Chichester and surrounding area is very pleasant, and Chichester Harbour great for boating activities. The South Downs are lovely for walking also. I always think it has a bit of its own microclimate too. I live just north of the Downs now and it certainly seems wetter than when I lived to the south.
Property's expensive though..

I think prices in and around the Solent are above my pay grade
If you want the UK South Coast, how about Rye or Rye Harbour, a lovely historic coastal town? You can fish in Rye Bay, and the local muscles, scallops and razor clams are lovely, plus you can pop over to France when you feel like it, Brexit permitting! I've done the trip to France loads of times from Rye Harbour.

Whatever you do, I wish you the very best of luck! I still have a house in Richmond but the thought of living there these days fills me with horror. I guess it's an age thing!

I'd definitely suggest the south coast. Anything that gets you to the Solent will give you lots of what you are looking for, so consider both the east end (Chichester) and the west end (Lymington) as well as the Isle of Wight itself (i'd suggest looking at Bembridge).

Another option would be one of the undervalued but pretty seaside resorts - Hastings is a good example where there is plenty going on, but not mad pricing so could be suitable.

Wherever you end up, do try and keep a sensible route back to London as you'll find that for whatever reason.

All the best with your move and retirement - lucky you!

Great opportunity, but as the decision time dwindles, panic can set in. S'pose it might be an idea to look at suitable areas where prop. prices are more affordable. Two picks would be Thanet (Ramsgate for pref.) for urban or the Norfolk Broads near to the coast for semi-rural (nice village, maybe?)

Last edited:

advertisement

Back