advertisement

Beer at home

C
Mate at work has just got one of these, his daughter works at a brewery and gets the kegs at little over half price, looks good to me, wonder if they are as good as they say? (i.e. Premium pub-quality pints every time).
IMG-0400.jpg

IMG-0402.jpg
Chills to 2 degrees :eek: I guess your mate doesn't like beer.

Mate at work has just got one of these, his daughter works at a brewery and gets the kegs at little over half price, looks good to me, wonder if they are as good as they say? (i.e. Premium pub-quality pints every time).
IMG-0400.jpg

IMG-0402.jpg

sorry but seriously poor IME. Of course YMMV

IMG-0400.jpg

IMG-0402.jpg
They work fine. It's just keg beer, no skill required. Connect a CO2 cylinder, add the bonbonne, off you go. 8L is about 43 pints so £40 a time doesn't improve sufficiently on the can price, given that you have to consume 43 pints in 30 days. If you could get it for half that though, yes please. I used to inspect the Tetleys brewery in Leeds, great place and access to the staff shop with about 25-30% saving. Go on then.

They work fine. It's just keg beer, no skill required. Connect a CO2 cylinder, add the bonbonne, off you go. 8L is about 43 pints so £40 a time doesn't improve sufficiently on the can price, given that you have to consume 43 pints in 30 days. If you could get it for half that though, yes please. I used to inspect the Tetleys brewery in Leeds, great place and access to the staff shop with about 25-30% saving. Go on then.
8 litres is about 14 pints...

I’ve spotted that Morrisons are running a 4-for-the-price-of-3 promo on some beers until the new year, including the wonderful Westmalle Tripel. That brings the price down to below £2.60 for a 33cl bottle - an utter bargain. I can only recommend that you fill your boots. You’ll have to get there before me, though - I intend to empty the shelves of every Morrisons I pass, for the time being at least.

One of my favourite memories of recent times is sitting outside a bar with a Tripel overlooking the Somme estuary in the week before Xmas two years ago. It was warm enough to be in shirt sleeves. Won’t get there this year, but an Xmas morning glass in the garden would make an adequate substitute. Here’s hoping for some sunshine.

20231111124848-da2792e5.jpg

Later: eight bought today, a dozen more ordered for a Click-and-Collect on Wednesday… the quest has begun…

Last edited:
Spotted this whilst doing the shop today, so picked one up. Very nice.

Looking at the Sainsbury’s description I bet that’s Gayant de Goudale 2023 with an anglophone label…

I love a good beer flight, but last weekend's trip to the local felt more like a challenge on I'm a Celebrity... look away dear CAMRA members....

what are they?
Well, one is definitely Tiny Rebel's Sleigh Puft...the other two would be localish (to Malvern) pale or golden session ales. 12 beers sampled and wasn't keeping track, but a few stouts stood out (Three Tuns stout, and Wye Valley Nightjar).

I’ve spotted that Morrisons are running a 4-for-the-price-of-3 promo on some beers until the new year, including the wonderful Westmalle Tripel. That brings the price down to below £2.60 for a 33cl bottle - an utter bargain. I can only recommend that you fill your boots. You’ll have to get there before me, though - I intend to empty the shelves of every Morrisons I pass, for the time being at least.

One of my favourite memories of recent times is sitting outside a bar with a Tripel overlooking the Somme estuary in the week before Xmas two years ago. It was warm enough to be in shirt sleeves. Won’t get there this year, but an Xmas morning glass in the garden would make an adequate substitute. Here’s hoping for some sunshine.

20231111124848-da2792e5.jpg

Later: eight bought today, a dozen more ordered for a Click-and-Collect on Wednesday… the quest has begun…
Hmm, I notice Morrisons in Solihull are suspiciously “Westmalle light”. A visit from Marchbanks perhaps? Plan B required.

Hmm, I notice Morrisons in Solihull are suspiciously “Westmalle light”. A visit from Marchbanks perhaps? Plan B required.
Not me - Solihull isn’t on my list of happy hunting grounds. It seems quite branch-specific - if I can mark your card for you, Redditch and Leamington yes, Stratford and Evesham no. But I’d give Leamington a few days to restock if I were you - I was there this afternoon…

20231130181809-f55a47c8.jpg

Not me - Solihull isn’t on my list of happy hunting grounds. It seems quite branch-specific - if I can mark your card for you, Redditch and Leamington yes, Stratford and Evesham no. But I’d give Leamington a few days to restock if I were you - I was there this afternoon…

20231130181809-f55a47c8.jpg
Thanks, that lot should keep you going! :)

advertisement

Back