advertisement

Beer at home

this hedgerow beer, brewed by a good friend of mine is remarkably good

20230430_185755 by uh_simon, on Flickr

the more we sip the better it gets. Only made 125 bottles, and we got a couple for free - a remarkable beer from a great friend

I’m in France, where one of the supermarket chains has a 3-for-2 offer on 75cl bottles of Tripel Karmeliet, bringing the equivalent price down to exactly £3 each. Boots have been filled.

i.php

Hold the front page! They’ve been undercut by another chain offering the same deal a little cheaper! Any advance on £2.87/bottle…?

Last edited:
A trip to Home Bargains turned up two Belgian style beers brewed in the Netherlands.
First one is a very dark dubbel, tastes more like a stout, very nice chocolate/coffee/caramel flavours, enough carbonation but not what you experience with a proper Belgian.
£1.59 for 500ml at 6.4%
Was going to review the two beers but that's all I want to drink just now, the other one is a blond style at 6.5% and also £1.59, will review later, beers are from this company.

https://www.monastere.com/

A trip to Home Bargains turned up two Belgian style beers brewed in the Netherlands.
First one is a very dark dubbel, tastes more like a stout, very nice chocolate/coffee/caramel flavours, enough carbonation but not what you experience with a proper Belgian.
£1.59 for 500ml at 6.4%
Was going to review the two beers but that's all I want to drink just now, the other one is a blond style at 6.5% and also £1.59, will review later, beers are from this company.

https://www.monastere.com/
Hie me to Home Bargains.

I've now tried the blonde beer, it's spicy, yeasty and quite good, my preference is for the darker beer, which is consistent with my taste with Belgian style beers, for the price it's great, I don't think it would benefit laying down in the can for a few years.
Wile I was browsing Home Bargains, "Peg" by Steely Dan was playing in the background, I don't enjoy music I like, heard in a commercial setting, or in adverts, I might be blethering now due to the beer

Some great stuff at the tap room round the corner lately.

Some nice Rodenbach beers, Fruitage and Alexander (slightly vinegary with hints of parma violets), and a pretty special 10%-ish imperial stout, Magic People, Voodoo People. Most of their beers are named after music, and this was a spin on their standard Voodoo People stout.

Black as tar and nearly as oily, fantastic stuff. Shame it's a one off and there's apparently only about 200 pints. I had a 4 pint carry out, and thereafter a sore head, but happily so.

I've now tried the blonde beer, it's spicy, yeasty and quite good, my preference is for the darker beer, which is consistent with my taste with Belgian style beers, for the price it's great, I don't think it would benefit laying down in the can for a few years.
Wile I was browsing Home Bargains, "Peg" by Steely Dan was playing in the background, I don't enjoy music I like, heard in a commercial setting, or in adverts, I might be blethering now due to the beer
I went in today, didn't see what you had but they had Nigerian Guinness, which is export strength and rather interesting, reasonably priced other stuff and a 12 x 500 box for £12 with Pedigree, Banks, Cumberland etc. This box is £14-15 elsewhere. I'll be back.

our local effectively does this with a happy hour (actually 2 hours) on the brewery beers from 1700 to 1900, mon-thurs. Not a new idea.

as per the article my local charges less per pint in the quieter hours of 1700-1900 and more in the peak of 2000-2300

Fullers (Chiswick Brewery) has been a long time favourite, tons of flavour and quite a range to choose from.
ESB, London Porter and Bengal Lancer IPA are especially enjoyed. Waitrose quite often have offers in my area and on-line ordering from the brewery is also possible.

Mate at work has just got one of these, his daughter works at a brewery and gets the kegs at little over half price, looks good to me, wonder if they are as good as they say? (i.e. Premium pub-quality pints every time).
IMG-0400.jpg

IMG-0402.jpg

advertisement

Back