advertisement

Beer at home

Picked up some Guinness foreign extra stout, tried it years ago and wasn't too keen but this time round I am enjoying it, it's very strong flavoured, like an original Guinness with all the tastes amplified.
My local offy does this as one of their 3-for deals, I rather like it and it's not generally about elsewhere. As I'm currently working in Scotland I'm taking the opportunity to buy a few local bottled beers, I had a very nice stout last night with dinner, I think Orkney Brewery.

Dragonhead? Nice brewery to visit - had a lovely lunch with beer (of course) in their tasting hall
Orkney Brewery "Dark Island", a dark ale. To be fair it is a dark ale rather than a stout. Went down well, certainly better than keg Belhaven in the pub. But I was expecting that, Scotland isn't a nation of beer drinkers, and the beer in the pubs is routinely very ordinary.

Orkney Brewery "Dark Island", a dark ale. To be fair it is a dark ale rather than a stout. Went down well, certainly better than keg Belhaven in the pub. But I was expecting that, Scotland isn't a nation of beer drinkers, and the beer in the pubs is routinely very ordinary.

yes Dark Island is nice as well.

Cracked a bottle of Thomas Hardy's Ale I'd been keeping to share with my eldest for his 18th.17 years maturation in the bottle....the general consensus was that it smelled exactly the same as Teriyaki sauce - and they had a point! I quite enjoyed it though, and lived to tell the tale. I have another bottle lined up for his brother, so will see what another 2.5 years does!

advertisement

Back