advertisement

Beer at home

Don’t know if there are regional variations but the Jupiler in our local bar in Tarn et Garonne is only just OK - cold, unremarkable, just what you need when it’s 40° outside but I wouldn’t seek it out if I was looking for flavour, complexity etc.
I don't think so. Jupiler is your standard issue French cafe "pression", which to them is a "biere de consommation" even if it's a step up from standard UK pub 4% lager.

I suspect that I will be drinking more beer at home...

Today I took Mrs seagull over to Dorch for her COVID jab. On the way home we just stopped off at a pub in Poundbury. I had a half of Tanglefoot, Mrs s had a lemonade £8.55.

As the nights are drawing in, I’ve just ordered a few cans of Lervig 3 Bean Stout.

Notionally it’s for Christmas, ordered nice an early just in case I can’t find any nearer the time. But we’ll see whether it lasts that long…

Also had a rather nice IPA over the weekend, a collab between one of the best local breweries, Glasshouse, and Deya called Croc Encounters. Lovely.

Halloween last night. My treat? Leff blond, 750ml. I don't have a Belgian goblet. Chose a heptagonal (7-sided) pint glass I bagged at a flea market many decades ago. I assumed, quite wrongly, that it is a pub glass. Not so. I can't find anything about it or photo on the net. Rare? I doubt it.

Tasting notes:
on opening bottle... sweet , fresh aroma. Long head. Slow collapse.
Rich flavour. Does not seem a strong beer- which it is. I would describe it as ''satisfying'',
Sweet aftertaste lingers. With a hint of caromel. Very enjoyable.

A couple of beers from asda, Belhaven 80/- a rich dark beer and Butty bach, a lighter and more citrussy beer, both very pleasant.

Belhaven (as owned by Greene King) make nice beer. Had a few pints of Belhaven Heavy in a pub in Edinburgh not too long ago

Nice DIPA from Verdant at the beer shop last night

20221113-100551.jpg

20221113-100602.jpg

I'm not keen on that one, but Banks's mild is quite drinkable for me.
Banks's "Amber" is just their standard issue bitter as manufactured for decades if not centuries. I like it if all I want is as said an inoffensive session beer. I do like their Mild too, if I can find it. There's a bit more depth of flavour. At 89p in glass bottles it's hard to complain.
I need to get some beer in for Xmas, my parents drink very little and certainly not beer. Last time my Dad commented to my Mum "we don't need to buy any beer for Xmas for Steve, there's plenty in". Turns out that "plenty in" was 3 bottles left over from the year before and well past its best. Fortunately the shops were still open and I was able to get some. Even then, if I drink more than 2 or 3 pints in one evening my mother has me down as "a binge drinker" and worrying about my health. So I'll get a bit in and leave it in the car and fetch it in 2 bottles at a time.

Banks's "Amber" is just their standard issue bitter as manufactured for decades if not centuries. I like it if all I want is as said an inoffensive session beer. I do like their Mild too, if I can find it. There's a bit more depth of flavour. At 89p in glass bottles it's hard to complain.
I need to get some beer in for Xmas, my parents drink very little and certainly not beer. Last time my Dad commented to my Mum "we don't need to buy any beer for Xmas for Steve, there's plenty in". Turns out that "plenty in" was 3 bottles left over from the year before and well past its best. Fortunately the shops were still open and I was able to get some. Even then, if I drink more than 2 or 3 pints in one evening my mother has me down as "a binge drinker" and worrying about my health. So I'll get a bit in and leave it in the car and fetch it in 2 bottles at a time.

I have revisited Bankss amber and as you say it's an easy to drink and sessionable beer, there is a golden beer as well, must have a go at that, all at great prices too.

advertisement

Back