advertisement

Are Fuses in Plugs Directional ?

Just been on the Green Forum and in their lounge there is a post about changing plug fuses.
The poster said that the treble was much smoother after changing the direction of the fuse..i.e 180 degrees
I think he is an OCD type personally ...disects every nuance of his system...listens to the equipment type
Any of you lot tried it ?
Personally I think it's absolute Foo of the highest ...laughable order
But is there scientific proof ?
Yes, they are directional. The silver end cap goes towards the live screw within the plug.

In scientific equipment say an elelectron microscope were they have to perfectly calibrated spot on.
Do you think the manufacturers of said equipment have their fuses correctly aligned ?
I haven't a clue ...but you would think gear like that for example would....if there was anything in the fuse orientation...or is electricity just that ...I have no idea ?
but for most equipment calibrations, you measure something, compare it to the "correct" value (from another source usually), and tweak settings to get the same number (or say it is close enough). Who is to say that if your unit is calibrated with the fuse one way round, and if you reverse the fuse, the measured numbers are wrong as the condition has changed ? Having said that, most of the equipment I have used is DC powered from batteries with AC backup/charging power, so fuse orientation wouldn't change anything.

but for most equipment calibrations, you measure something, compare it to the "correct" value (from another source usually), and tweak settings to get the same number (or say it is close enough). Who is to say that if your unit is calibrated with the fuse one way round, and if you reverse the fuse, the measured numbers are wrong as the condition has changed ? Having said that, most of the equipment I have used is DC powered from batteries with AC backup/charging power, so fuse orientation wouldn't change anything.
Having said that, most of the equipment I have used is DC powered from batteries with AC backup/charging power, so fuse orientation wouldn't change anything.

Yebbut, one must take into consideration, which way the batteries are pointing ! They must point to magnetic North Pole ( positive ) and if yer batteries are facing anywhere else , they must be re-orientated correctly (another 40 pages ?)
PS , ye cannot use rechargeable batteries...especially ones containing Lithium...:cool:

My theory is that the fuse is about the only component an amateur can fiddle with without needing a soldering iron.
Compare with tube rolling where at least there are real and significant differences between fresh and used valves.

My theory is that the fuse is about the only component an amateur can fiddle with without needing a soldering iron.
Compare with tube rolling where at least there are real and significant differences between fresh and used valves.
100%. Those who can, do. Those who can't, foo.

Cables and fuses and stands and gnd boxes are for people who can't read a schematic.

Please note that the highest quality fuses require the use of a wall mounted UK 13a socket for max benefit.
The reason being the cryogenically treated sand MUST NOT internally connect the two ends of the fuse. When used vertically the sand will leave the required 5mm gap at the top end.
Also, as the sand settles through time it’s best to remove the plug from the wall and shake it (think the “Shake’n’vac” adverts from back in the day or any other preferred gesture!).
If you visit any of the hifi shows (especially in the UK) you can identify yourself with this gesture to other followers.
Think of it as a less than subtle Masonic handshake, unfortunately some non believers may take offence at this gesture but you can be assured the sense of satisfaction you have as a user will greatly exceed the pain in your nose as you hit the floor!

Hi, if you really think about it, All wire is drawn so it will look different under a high powered microscope, no matter how good the die is, and the pressure its drawn under, from one direction to the other, weather this will alter the sound, as it's about 10mm long, is anyone's guess,

As for the bee's wax, i should think that passing a current through a wire, would make it vibrate slightly, and the bee's wax should calm this vibration down a bit, again if this will alter the sound, again is anyone's guess,

Again there is a lot of stuff being sold, with a bit of theoretical science behind them, like the bee's wax, but in reality would it make a difference, and can you measure it,

Last edited:
I am definitely not an electrician but thinking about fuse boxes and fuses in there are the fuses only fittable one way or can they go either way like this fuse thread....so you might be right if there is any truth at your plug end with the fuse but wrong way round at the fuse box
God it makes my head spin thinking about all this foo

advertisement

Back