advertisement

Are Fuses in Plugs Directional ?

Yes, so how do the believers know?
I believe there is an envelope comes with every fuse which contains a chant. Once the fuse is placed on a hard surface (close to the equipment) and the words spoken the fuse will spin and land upright. The cryogenically treated sand (I mentioned earlier) is now primed and the top of the fuse points towards the top of the plug.
Please note that this rotational action as well as ensuring the fuse is primed correctly for the actual equipment but more importantly the hemisphere (northern or southern) in which it’s located.
This does however pose a problem for those attempting to use the fuse on the equator where it makes sod all difference (check the disclaimer in the box)!

The mechanism is a sensing circuit in parallel to the mechanical switch, so basically the current sense is out of circuit, much like how a multimeter measures current without affecting it's flow through the circuit. The characteristic curve is then calculated from this current flow measurement, so it can, say, trip if an overcurrent of 2x is detected for so many seconds, so you can avoid tripping on inrush current and that sort of thing.
This is incorrect, MCBs use a thermal/magnetic sense to release the closed switch. They don't get as hot as fuse in operation, but do have series components

OK let's say a fuse is directional that still doesn't tell me which way to put it in the fuse holder on the board or in the plug.
My monos have got 2 internal fuses each there's nothing to indicate the 'flow' direction.
Because the flow reverses 50 times a second. 60 if you're in the USA or Canada.

Yes, so how do the believers know?
Cos it's night and day and veils will be lifted ....everything is more palpable and realistic.The soundstage opens up wide and you hear things that you have ever heard before on records that you have been playing for years and years and never noticed. The band will be in the room with you ....it will be as if you were there at the recording.

Most importantly of all your wife will come in from the kitchen and ask you 'when did you buy new speakers.?'

Last edited:
OK let's say a fuse is directional that still doesn't tell me which way to put it in the fuse holder on the board or in the plug.
My monos have got 2 internal fuses each there's nothing to indicate the 'flow' direction.
I am very careful whenever I solder a fuse holder on the PCB of the amp I’m working on.
The holder itself has a polarity, but one can always forget about it and mistakingly solder it the wrong way, with the ghastly consequences one can imagine. See above.

Then wouldn't the reverse be true?

Great sounding hifi, swap the fuse/fuse holder around, terrible sounding hifi, "Darling, just popping out to buy some new speakers/amp/cartridge/etc". Fuse switching is obvs a great justification to spend spend spend...

I always make sure the fuses in the hi-fi run North to South. I am amazed at how few on here know the importance of this. I also ensure the cats sleep on or by the hi-if facing East. This makes f-all difference but does give me a chance to contribute something that adds to the nonsense found on the web.
That's a good start but if you really want improvements you will align them to ley lines (I assume that you took these into account when purchasing your house otherwise what are we even doing here?).

That's a good start but if you really want improvements you will align them to ley lines (I assume that you took these into account when purchasing your house otherwise what are we even doing here?).
I did look into lay lines of course but some extensive research soon pointed me in the direction of "play lines". Apparently, the speaker leads need to run parallel to them whilst amp and source interconnects need to be dressed to intersect the vertical play lines that radiate from the horizontal play line you have your speaker leads along.

I found a house that had the correct orientation to nearby play lines and one going through the rack and speakers. The system sounds much better for this attention to detail.

That's a good start but if you really want improvements you will align them to ley lines
You could go one better and align them with the ancient tribal ley lines in the high Andes; this would, of course, favour Incatech amplification.

I do wonder about the direction of this thread and feel someone should put a cap on it.

Last edited:
This is incorrect, MCBs use a thermal/magnetic sense to release the closed switch. They don't get as hot as fuse in operation, but do have series components

Damnit, I thought i'd solved all of our audio fuse problems. Back to the drawing board.

My incoming Live and Neutral got swapped when a smartmeter was installed. Getting his corrected so that the breakers were back in the Live lines made no difference to my music. I must be deaf.

advertisement

Back