advertisement

Are Fuses in Plugs Directional ?

I'm worried now some of my plugs are the normal way up & some are opposite way up, these go into a mains conditioner. Beginning to wonder if I should turn it upside down?

I found that carefully cleaned Bussmann 13 amp fuses made the kit sound freer when the electrons followed the name Bussmann. Marbo fuses were the opposite - Obram. Strange, confirmed with an Obram fuse fitted with a Naim Powerline. Not subtle.

In scientific equipment say an elelectron microscope were they have to perfectly calibrated spot on.
Do you think the manufacturers of said equipment have their fuses correctly aligned ?
I haven't a clue ...but you would think gear like that for example would....if there was anything in the fuse orientation...or is electricity just that ...I have no idea ?

I found that carefully cleaned Bussmann 13 amp fuses made the kit sound freer when the electrons followed the name Bussmann. Marbo fuses were the opposite - Obram. Strange, confirmed with an Obram fuse fitted with a Naim Powerline. Not subtle.
My rule of thumb for speaker and RCA cables is to follow the name unless marked otherwise. You've got me worried about my fuses now, I will open the plugs up and adjust as necessary.

Another thing worth doing is giving your fuses a rest, ideally in the freezer. I remove the fuses from my hifi every two or three days and rotate in new well-rested ones. The difference is incontrovertible.

I’m starting to think of fuses like car tyres, in that to get the best wear of them they should be rotated every yay many months. One could keep a stash of fuses with dates on them to swap around, being sure also to change their directions as needed. Or the rotation could be quite literal, i.e. simply spinning them in their holders. 🤔

.....but my Linn speaker cable is directional...and it knows when it's raised off the carpet...maybe it talks to fuses too?

advertisement

Back