advertisement

Apple audio adapter

Bought one of these today, £9, bargain!
Tried it on my I phone se and old iPad 2, both of which have headphone sockets.
The new doo-dah gave a worthwhile improvement on both machines. Sound was less woolly in the bass, less splashy in the treble. Better bass definition, better soundstage,better realisation of rhythms, better tunes.
Doesn’t turn the phone into an a&k, but lifts the quality appreciably.
Yes for £9 it's amazing..I thought exactly the same when I compared adapter to built in dac on ipad..

Mine arrived ten minutes ago or so, and after installing USB Audio Player Pro on my Android music player (an Android phone with USB-C connectivity but without a SIM card installed), I've now got my Apple Audio dongle DAC thing up and running. In a word, it sounds great!

Fwiw, I tried using my HD650s but the Apple gadget is just too weak to deliver anything other than the flattest sound possible; it does a much better job with my 50ohm HD595s. However, it works absolutely great with my Creative Aurvana Air earphones. I haven't tried hooking it up to either of my systems but I'll give it a go later. Regardless of how that goes, I'm defo going to see if I can get hold of the non-EU version for that extra half-volt of power. It's probably not going to be enough to make a difference with my HD650s, but a little more power should make it more versatile when it comes to headphones with only a slightly challenging impedance, like my HD595s, and it might also enable it to become a dedicated DAC in my bedroom/computer system.

Recommended!

EDIT: The gadget is too weak to be used as a hi-fi DAC. Even when I had my device's volume up to max I had to really crank my amp's volume to compensate for the shortfall in signal level. Like I say, the non-EU version might work out better in this regard, for example, the Chord Qutest can be set to output 1v, so all is not lost on that front.

My mum and my sister went to LA last week so I asked them to pick up an Apple USB-C to 3.55mm headphone adaptor while they were there to see whether the 2V non-EU version offered more power and performance over the 1V EU version we're stuck with over here. Sure enough, they managed to visit an Apple store but they bought me a Lightning to 3.5mm adaptor; in fairness, my mum's 72 and well, my sister just isn't one of us. They've been back home in sunny Scotland for a week now so it's obviously too late to ask them to go back and swap it. Oh well, I guess I've now got a non-EU Lightning to 3.5mm headphone adaptor lol

My mum and my sister went to LA last week so I asked them to pick up an Apple USB-C to 3.55mm headphone adaptor while they were there to see whether the 2V non-EU version offered more power and performance over the 1V EU version we're stuck with over here. Sure enough, they managed to visit an Apple store but they bought me a Lightning to 3.5mm adaptor; in fairness, my mum's 72 and well, my sister just isn't one of us. They've been back home in sunny Scotland for a week now so it's obviously too late to ask them to go back and swap it. Oh well, I guess I've now got a non-EU Lightning to 3.5mm headphone adaptor lol
I have my adapter here today..ill try it through hifi and see if it ok for volume? Can't comment on headphone stuff..

I've been recommending these for a long time. Most memorably in this thread.

If you think about it battery power and a single engineering design from end to end is a strong predictor of good quality.

At £9 it probably offers more design and engineering investment that any £3000 "hifi" DAC. I also doubt that they can't make a profit at that price.

I've been recommending these for a long time. Most memorably in this thread.

If you think about it battery power and a single engineering design from end to end is a strong predictor of good quality.

At £9 it probably offers more design and engineering investment that any £3000 "hifi" DAC. I also doubt that they can't make a profit at that price.
Don't think it's anywhere near a 3k dac...but for £9 it's unbeatable...

Of course not, but given that Apple have unlimited engineering capability and have complete control of the design and build of the steamer hardware and software, the gap is a lot smaller than £2991 might suggest.
I'm listening to it now..its bloody fantastic..lol..really toe tapping! From my ipad through audio adapter into my main kit..I have a expensive dac..and this little £9 marvel is so good...and yes your right..its far too close to my flash dac..lol

I'm listening to it now..its bloody fantastic..lol..really toe tapping! From my ipad through audio adapter into my main kit..I have a expensive dac..and this little £9 marvel is so good...and yes your right..its far too close to my flash dac..lol
Where should I buy one of these?

Mine arrived ten minutes ago or so, and after installing USB Audio Player Pro on my Android music player (an Android phone with USB-C connectivity but without a SIM card installed), I've now got my Apple Audio dongle DAC thing up and running. In a word, it sounds great!

Fwiw, I tried using my HD650s but the Apple gadget is just too weak to deliver anything other than the flattest sound possible; it does a much better job with my 50ohm HD595s. However, it works absolutely great with my Creative Aurvana Air earphones. I haven't tried hooking it up to either of my systems but I'll give it a go later. Regardless of how that goes, I'm defo going to see if I can get hold of the non-EU version for that extra half-volt of power. It's probably not going to be enough to make a difference with my HD650s, but a little more power should make it more versatile when it comes to headphones with only a slightly challenging impedance, like my HD595s, and it might also enable it to become a dedicated DAC in my bedroom/computer system.

Recommended!

EDIT: The gadget is too weak to be used as a hi-fi DAC. Even when I had my device's volume up to max I had to really crank my amp's volume to compensate for the shortfall in signal level. Like I say, the non-EU version might work out better in this regard, for example, the Chord Qutest can be set to output 1v, so all is not lost on that front.
This tiny dac is fine in my kit..loads of volume..dont think its weak at all..just too good for £9

This tiny dac is fine in my kit..loads of volume..dont think its weak at all..just too good for £9

Are you using a UK or US one? I've got the UK one myself and was hoping to get a US one as they do 2 volts output rather than 1 volt output. It might not matter too much but I'm intrigued to know whether there is a material difference between the two.

Are you using a UK or US one? I've got the UK one myself and was hoping to get a US one as they do 2 volts output rather than 1 volt output. It might not matter too much but I'm intrigued to know whether there is a material difference between the two.
Mine is the UK version..volume is fine..if your worried about the volts? Try a step up transformer...shouldn't need one though...ipad at full volume into schitt sys works very well..sorry to ask silly question but have you gone on to ipad settings to check the volume is at max?

advertisement

Back