advertisement

Apple audio adapter

the caretaker

pfm Member
One of these arrived yesterday..cost £8 frankly I'm astonished how good it sounds! Its as good as one of my better dacs going through a schitt eitr via audioquest interconnects to my passive pre amp ( schitt is connected to dac using a not cheap cord coax cable ) this little apple audio adapter is going into mini jack to rca into passive pre amp..just amazed!

I mentioned it on another Apple-related thread recently. I got the lightning one to add headphone functionality to my new iPhone 13. Not done much beyond check it works with my travel Sennheiser Momentum 2s and it sounds fine. There’s a review here on AudioReview with internal pics. Clearly a loss-leader and apparently it performs in or above the class of an AudioQuest Dragonfly… for £9!

I picked mine up from the Manc Apple store. I might go get the USB3 one for the iPad at some point.

I’m pretty sure it does, yes. It is amazing they got a DAC, ADC and headphone amp in there. Just astonishing really.
Incredible..and the sound! Its going through my main hifi kit..it sounds superb! For under £10? How? ( i did try the headphone out from ipad to pre amp, and it was ok..not a patch on this adapter though )

For under £10? How?

My guess is its a loss-leader. They wanted the space in the iPhone/iPad for other things, and to make the phone waterproof (finally!), and it likely ends up far cheaper to sell the adapter at a loss to those who miss the functionality whilst knowing the vast majority of customers who want headphones will be using Bluetooth e.g. Apple’s own AirPod things. That they designed it so well is amazing really. I’m sure it is a minority use thing in the Apple ecosystem. Good to hear it works well into a pre/amp etc as I do use my iPhone as a signal generator now and again.

Incredible..and the sound! Its going through my main hifi kit..it sounds superb! For under £10? How? ( i did try the headphone out from ipad to pre amp, and it was ok..not a patch on this adapter though )

interesting as the Rockwell site flagged above suggests it’s the internals of the likes of 6s externalised. Surprised the same stuff wasn’t in an iPad of similar vintage? Anyways, I’ve a 3.5mm jack to phono so I’ll try my 6s into a Slee Solo tomorrow.

interesting as the Rockwell site flagged above suggests it’s the internals of the likes of 6s externalised. Surprised the same stuff wasn’t in an iPad of similar vintage? Anyways, I’ve a 3.5mm jack to phono so I’ll try my 6s into a Slee Solo tomorrow.
My ipad mini has a ok dac..but when I used this adapter it was a lot better? Quite a lot better..maybe as its external it works better? Doesn't have to deal with internal Gubbins all making a noise? But for the money it's just amazing..d
God help the hifi industry if apple ever decided to get into it..lol

My ipad mini has a ok dac..but when I used this adapter it was a lot better? Quite a lot better..maybe as its external it works better? Doesn't have to deal with internal Gubbins all making a noise? But for the money it's just amazing..d
God help the hifi industry if apple ever decided to get into it..lol

I’ve ordered one. At £9 you can’t leave any stone unturned:)

FWIW I always felt my 6S sounded very good unless it was asked to drive the high impedance HD-600s. I think it has a bit more output than the adapter too.

From looking at the links, this doesn't look as if it works with Android...anyone know if it does?

advertisement

Back