advertisement

Apple audio adapter

Yep, I have also been suitably impressed by the apple dongle, especially on low impedance headphones. In fact it made me sell my chord mojo as I was just not getting a big enough improved experience from it.

I’ve got Spotify playing straight into a Slee Solo/LPSU through my 6s at one end and Ether2 at the other. I’ve set it on a playlist to cut out screen time and on just one check after 40 minutes shows 2% used on a year old battery.
It’s good there is no denying and maybe better still as a ‘separate’ as is the toggle. For the rest of the day I’ve substituted a Mojo with a Pi/Justboom streamer. I could live with either quite happily. Given I need a phone anyway it does make the Mojo quite an indulgence… ;)

I’ll have to put battery life to the test. The 6S seemed happy to drive headphones all day without draining the battery, it’s the screen that drains an iPhone. The iPhone 13 battery seems astonishing so far. Really good.
I just tried the ipad with lid closed..and it was much better..it was on 87% battery after half hour 82% battery..

Well I am carrying out a test this very day will let you know how it goes.

yesterday I was in London train from Andover then around half hour of tube reversed to go home. Use phone for other things it was at 46% when I got home using AirPods Pro.

same journey today with the adaptor and a pair of iem’s not terrifically scientific but I’ll let you know how it goes.

I'm gonna buy one and try it out with my Axon 7 Mini Android gadget thing. Fwiw, it seems the EU version only outputs 0.5v whereas the US (and presumably rest of the world version with the exception of us over here) outputs at 1v. This might be significant depending on usage.
Tried the step up..much louder! Wasn't convinced re sound ( I tried step up with my old ipod touch 4 and it worked very well ) but it's a smidgeon up on the volume compared to the other dac I was comparing it with..wasn't a deal breaker, but I am using this through my hifi and not headphones.

Well I am carrying out a test this very day will let you know how it goes.

yesterday I was in London train from Andover then around half hour of tube reversed to go home. Use phone for other things it was at 46% when I got home using AirPods Pro.

same journey today with the adaptor and a pair of iem’s not terrifically scientific but I’ll let you know how it goes.
Be interesting to know the difference..

Tried the step up..much louder! Wasn't convinced re sound ( I tried step up with my old ipod touch 4 and it worked very well ) but it's a smidgeon up on the volume compared to the other dac I was comparing it with..wasn't a deal breaker, but I am using this through my hifi and not headphones.

So you've been able to compare EU versus non-EU adapters? Great to know the non-EU one gives a bit more oomph as I've got a pair of HD650s that might work okay with the extra power, plus 1v is probably better for connecting up to a stereo.

I guess that explains why I felt the volume slider was a lot further over on my iPhone 13 vs the 6S with the comparatively inefficient Sennheiser Momentums. I can certainly imagine some running out of range with some headphones.

I wonder if there is any difference in battery drain between the two versions, e.g. is the drain the same for the same measured output regardless of the volume slider position in iOS?

PS One thing that bugged me with iOS with the 6S is it warned that I was listening “too loud” without having even the slightest clue as to what headphones were plugged in. I’ve got a pair of 600 Ohm HD-414s knocking around that you can actually empty an iPhone into and barely hear! I assume the warning is based on Apple’s earbuds or whatever (which I’ve never heard as they just won’t stay in my ears).

I assume the warning is based on Apple’s earbuds or whatever (which I’ve never heard as they just won’t stay in my ears).

That's reassuring. So I'm not the only one with that problem. (not really a problem though, can't tolerate IEMs).

That's reassuring. So I'm not the only one with that problem. (not really a problem though).

It goes for any earbuds with me, I just don’t have the ‘hook’ bit on the ear most people do for some reason so there is just nothing to hold them in. I’ve always stuck with proper headphones and have used either AKG K450s or Sennheiser Momentums for out and about listening. The Momentums are very boosted in the bass, not an ‘accurate’ sound at all IMO, but it helps on a train, bus or tram. I’ve also got a pair of HD-600s and 1970s HD-414s for home listening. The 600s are excellent, but a very hard drive for a phone.

I guess that explains why I felt the volume slider was a lot further over on my iPhone 13 vs the 6S with the comparatively inefficient Sennheiser Momentums. I can certainly imagine some running out of range with some headphones.

I wonder if there is any difference in battery drain between the two versions, e.g. is the drain the same for the same measured output regardless of the volume slider position in iOS?

PS One thing that bugged me with iOS with the 6S is it warned that I was listening “too loud” without having even the slightest clue as to what headphones were plugged in. I’ve got a pair of 600 Ohm HD-414s knocking around that you can actually empty an iPhone into and barely hear! I assume the warning is based on Apple’s earbuds or whatever (which I’ve never heard as they just won’t stay in my ears).
I think the warning is just a tick box in the eq settings ‘sound check’, turn that off

32% from today. I don't know that its enough to determine anything so I am going to say it makes little difference in reality.

Digital is now a very mature technology. Quality dongles and mini USB DACs have been around a goodly while. Technically these things surpass what was possible in a pro studio, not that long ago!

Some fishies discovered that little DAC/ADC dongly thing ages ago. It's surprisingly good.

Of course, mine is cryogenically treated and I've upgraded the transistors in it to Bobafets, which I honestly really can't recommend too strongly.

gBRYUFBl.png

Joe

Some fishies discovered that little DAC/ADC dongly thing ages ago. It's surprisingly good.

Of course, mine is cryogenically treated and I've upgraded the transistors in it to Bobafets, which I honestly really can't recommend too strongly.

gBRYUFBl.png

Joe
Very good..I'm a Joe too..Joes rock! Plus good taste in cheap dangling.. sorry dongling..these apple jobbies are very good for price...but my HRT streamer 2 + is much better..but it cost a lot more..this apple is better than my Topping d10 and better than my beresford caiman..both a lot more expensive..so you pays your money and takes your choice but if you only got a tenner..a apple thingy you won't better..

Digital is now a very mature technology. Quality dongles and mini USB DACs have been around a goodly while. Technically these things surpass what was possible in a pro studio, not that long ago!

But that Apple thing is some tiny. Younger people will have less difficulty than me thinking you could get anything decent out of something so small. Upthread I used my iPhone for the first time ever to listen to music as a source. Astonished that it wasn’t ‘rubbish in, rubbish out’.

Bought one of these today, £9, bargain!
Tried it on my I phone se and old iPad 2, both of which have headphone sockets.
The new doo-dah gave a worthwhile improvement on both machines. Sound was less woolly in the bass, less splashy in the treble. Better bass definition, better soundstage,better realisation of rhythms, better tunes.
Doesn’t turn the phone into an a&k, but lifts the quality appreciably.

advertisement

Back