advertisement

Any suggestions for Tony L

I would like to see more Star Trek on pfm.

I mentioned the charm and humour of this quite some time ago and feel confident Joe has this in hand.

To Trek a thread is a skilful thing and as always timing is paramount.

When executed correctly we smile and move on, many times back to the question in hand.

It's quite a powerful tool.

Star Trek, powerful tool, impeccable timing.

shatnerpenis.jpg

This really is my calling in life.

Joe

joe.

are you advocating acceptance of pfm c*ck intrusion (via ad revenue) and exploitation of participant contribution?

vuk.

Less moaning would improve the tone a little.

Look, pfm is the best forum out there by some margin if you want to read a broad range of opinions, have the odd row, have a laugh, pick up some music tips, buy some music and make a few friends.

The only thing close is the US based Steve Hoffman forum.
The others are all either too partisan, fond of bandwagons, overly moderated, ego trips for exiled nutters or just too small to be considered forum communities.

Best way to improve pfm is to leave it be.
It finds it's own way.

Good points Rob! Pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

Hilarious depiction of two forums I believe you're referring to. :D

I probably wouldn't read an audio forum at all if it wasn't for PFM, when people get uppity here they don't threaten each other with death.

Which is nice.

It's fab as it is.

Is this an audio forum, I thought it was the queue for the chippy? :)

How do you spell miaoww! Those who can do (Tony L), those who cannot consult (Nic P), and the rest just make snide comments (Cav).

Tony, if your selling and acquiring is in balance then you could try the Amazon trick of offering your services to sell the stock of other suppliers (for a modest percentage take of their profit).

Nic P

...and I'm new here and all, but what if Tony likes it the way it is and really doesn't want to change it into that kind of a business? There are always elements of my "day job" that I could do this, that and the other with but my time (and that of my teams) is really better spent elsewhere - on my core business.

...and I'm new here and all, but what if Tony likes it the way it is and really doesn't want to change it into that kind of a business? There are always elements of my "day job" that I could do this, that and the other with but my time (and that of my teams) is really better spent elsewhere - on my core business.

Granted that this thread has proven to be one of my lamer ideas - I had hoped that Tony's members and customers might be a source of ideas for Tony, but that hasn't really worked.

My thought you commented on is a counterintuitive idea behind things like a jewellery quarter, where competitors clump together to create a destination for jewellery buyers. Amazon (with Amazon marketplace), shows that this can work for Internet destinations. I wondered if Tony could become a more major destination for vinyl ... hence enhancing a core business. Suggestions can be easily ignored if they don't appeal to Tony - and no harm done that I can see.

I am pleased we had some good Trekkie comments.

Nic P

I hope Nic P has learned something. Perhaps only try minding someone else business if they approach and ask you to no matter how gifted you are?

Steven,

I thought Whatsnext was making a fair (if painful) point.

Nic P

Only if taken in isolation for very specific instances.
This is a discussion forum and it simply won't work without killing this or any other forum.

A 'wait until you are asked to comment' policy would give a very small and very dull forum.

I just wish people would be honest instead of cloaking the real driver behind the whinge sometimes.
Some just don't want space given to contrary opinion, don't want to see open challenges and would prefer some sort of audiophile love-in where everyone is forced to agree for fear of the moderators. There are a few places on the net where this is the norm and they suffer badly IMO but perhaps people who can only operate in an environment which has such controls should check them out, or start something themselves.

I hope Nic has learned that if he's being chased by an evil android in a cave, the correct course of action is to grab the nearest stalactite for protection even if it looks like a comically large penis!

shatnerpenis.jpg

Joe

Granted that this thread has proven to be one of my lamer ideas - I had hoped that Tony's members and customers might be a source of ideas for Tony, but that hasn't really worked.

They are and it has - my main "skill" in running this place is detecting trends and facilitating them. Every room here exists purely due to a usebase-driven demand, the whole site is the result of organic development. Your mistake is to assume this is a conventional business / that I have conventional business aspirations. It's not / I don't. Between the record shop, various advertising streams, donations etc I get by, and that's all I'm looking to do. I have a pretty decent work / life balance!

advertisement

Back