advertisement

Any suggestions for Tony L

I cant see any real benefit to changing the classifieds. Seems like change for the sake of change more than anything...

My feedback for improvement would be more in terms of site usability/legibility particularly on mobile devices, such as the iPad/iPhone, etc. etc. and the use of real-time thread updating, so you don't have to keep reloading the page to see what is going on. The site is starting to look and feel very dated.

I couldn't avoid seeing mention of your pending sale on quite a few threads that I frequented. :rolleyes:
I think it was one. Sorry about that, I'll PM you all details of any future sales so you don't have to hunt around.

That's actually a very good idea and easy to implement. I'll give it some thought. The negative is it breaks the visual time-line, i.e. it's no longer public knowledge who has expressed an interest, or in what order.

Thanks Tony,
It's down to the conscience and discretion of the seller anyway I would have thought as to who an item is sold to, and he/she will have sight of PM timings (even though they appear as latest first). Other than that - you know best!

PFM always reminds me of the Naim forum about 10 to 15 years ago. I used to be able to spend an entire day there following threads, contributing posts, winding up nunobaptista etc etc. It was great fun. Hell even JV would turn up and chat like he was your mate down the pub, with never a feeling he was trying to get everyone to buy more of his stuff. Everyone seemed to be into other brands too in those days and the merits of any kit would be openly discussed.

The forum and company have both since made major changes. I can now no longer bear to even visit. Stupid format, sheeplike brand worshipper attitudes and off-limits topics.

To cut a long story short, please don't radically change anything here as there's nowhere else left to go to in a huff!

Jonathan

Tony – I know you have said that record sales are a minor issue, but there is a way to increase them. Analyse your customers preferences (artist / genre / interest in collectibles /condition preference / price range etc.). Provide a questionnaire where new customers can provide the preferences explicitly. Tag your stock on a computer and then email out items of possible interest to those who provide their email address and permission for such mailshots. I know many companies that have had real success from this approach.

Nic P

PFM always reminds me of the Naim forum about 10 to 15 years ago. I used to be able to spend an entire day there following threads, contributing posts, winding up nunobaptista etc etc. It was great fun. Hell even JV would turn up and chat like he was your mate down the pub, with never a feeling he was trying to get everyone to buy more of his stuff. Everyone seemed to be into other brands too in those days and the merits of any kit would be openly discussed.

Yes, I remember those days, particularly JV getting involved in conversations in a way that did nothing but increase my respect for him and the company - there are a few people in the business on here who could learn from that.

The forum and company have both since made major changes. I can now no longer bear to even visit. Stupid format, sheeplike brand worshipper attitudes and off-limits topics.

To cut a long story short, please don't radically change anything here as there's nowhere else left to go to in a huff!

Jonathan

+1

Nic P

There are constant minor tweaks here, but they seem to be carefully thought out & usually low key.

Glad they are low key...wouldn't want any fishies in trouble for tweaking kids. It's Ok at Eton or Harrow I suppose...but they are special cases.

Tony – I know you have said that record sales are a minor issue, but there is a way to increase them. Analyse your customers preferences (artist / genre / interest in collectibles /condition preference / price range etc.). Provide a questionnaire where new customers can provide the preferences explicitly. Tag your stock on a computer and then email out items of possible interest to those who provide their email address and permission for such mailshots. I know many companies that have had real success from this approach.

As I mentioned earlier I already sell pretty much the stock I'm able to find. The record shop ticks over very comfortably. I could perhaps do with getting a little more interest in the classical stuff, but the rock and pop is mainly limited by me uploading, not by customers wanting to buy it.

Nic P

Is advice like this why you have to give your part-time services for free?

Lacking any imagination I'd have to agree with others who have written that PFM is already the best forum on the web and should continue as it is.

Is advice like this why you have to give your part-time services for free?

How do you spell miaoww! Those who can do (Tony L), those who cannot consult (Nic P), and the rest just make snide comments (Cav).

Tony, if your selling and acquiring is in balance then you could try the Amazon trick of offering your services to sell the stock of other suppliers (for a modest percentage take of their profit).

Nic P

i think that pfm should be turned into a cooperative and ad revenue shared amongst all members.

vuk.

I probably wouldn't read an audio forum at all if it wasn't for PFM, when people get uppity here they don't threaten each other with death.

Which is nice.

It's fab as it is.

I probably wouldn't read an audio forum at all if it wasn't for PFM, when people get uppity here they don't threaten each other with death.

Which is nice.

It's fab as it is.

What! not willing to die for your beliefs. You should take up knitting. ( I could make my turntable a nice woolly cover, a sort of giant tea cosy.)

I threatened to eat the last lemon mousse only today, emotional blackmail with desserts is as far as my nerves will take me.

When argueing I get all tounge tied and shakey.

I just can't handle it.

advertisement

Back