advertisement

Any recommendations for nice female vocals please?

To the OP, as you mentioned Amy Winehouse and Duffy from a recent soulful slant, I recommend you check out Bettye Swann. She had a truly beautiful soul voice and was a label mate of Candi Station back in the day (whose early stuff you should also be checking out)

Helene Smith has a very similar vocal quality to Bettye Swan if you find you like her, and her songs are great too.

Cat Power's 'The Greatest' is also worth a serious punt. Very smokey, almost to the point where you struggle to understand what she's saying. Bloody great nonetheless and has that Muscle Shoals musicianship and production as well. Great red wine album :)

There was a good interview with Meg Baird on WFMU a few days ago. Show is archived if anyone is interested. Thanks!

Some excellent suggestions so far, but you are missing Alison Goldfrapp, from the group Goldfrapp. My personal favourite album is 'Seventh Tree', which is a bit folky, but they are all good I think.

Maybe check out Hanne Hukkelberg for a nicely quirky (but not irksomely so) performer - excellent live too.

advertisement

Back