advertisement

Any recommendations for nice female vocals please?

Among my favourites are Lisa Gerrard, Joanna Newsom, Emmylou Harris and of course Joni Mitchell. Lisa Gerard's voice is particularly unusual - she sang the wordless vocals on the soundtrack of The Insider. Emmylou Harris' version of Pancho and Lefty is also good. Joanna Newsom is not everybody's taste but her lyrics are stunning IMO.

Grace Slick

Mmmm, the best imho, checkout her vocals on this track...

Another great but obscure female vocalist not mentioned anywhere is "Jenny Darren."

Check out her vocal prowess in the song, "Spaceman's Shoes!" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tash Sultana - see her on youtube Welcome To The Jungle. The following is a Wikipedia quote:Described as a "one-woman band who brings new meaning to the concept of multi-tasking",[1] she is best known for her 2016 single "Jungle", which was voted into third place in the Triple J Hottest 100, 2016.

No record collection should be considered complete without the album Nancy Wilson and Cannonball Adderly.

For late night listening Julie London is sublime and IMHO underrated -

Not sure why these links don't work. Anyone?

Now fixed thanks to Garry.

Some sort of megastar in her native Norway, and deservedly so, but despite some good UK press for her last album, largely unknown here.

This is her best song, performed live for the Nobel Prize ceremony, and gives you some idea:

Also, her collaboration with Röyksopp was interesting:

Kind regards

- Garry

No record collection should be considered complete without the album Nancy Wilson and Cannonball Adderly.

For late night listening Julie London is sublime and IMHO underrated -

Not sure why these links don't work. Anyone?

Fixed the links (I think) - you just need to paste the last bit of the YouTube URL e.g. ionrItWcyEA for the first one. If you paste the whole URL it doesn't work.

Kind regards

- Garry

P.S. The Julie London track is quite lovely.

Fixed the links (I think) - you just need to paste the last bit of the YouTube URL e.g. ionrItWcyEA for the first one. If you paste the whole URL it doesn't work.

Kind regards

- Garry

P.S. The Julie London track is quite lovely.

Cheers Garry! Yes, Julie track is great. If you don't have it the collection "Julie is her name: The Complete Sessions" is fantastic and nice SQ too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004TB6GDG/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Cheers Garry! Yes, Julie track is great. If you don't have it the collection "Julie is her name: The Complete Sessions" is fantastic and nice SQ too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004TB6GDG/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Love Julie London, she's got the sexiest singing voice ever! She also has some cracking backing musicians. I've a few of her compilation albums, but the best one IMO for sound quality's "The Very Best of Julie London" , 2XCD collection. Just lovely.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Modern female singers/producers that I'm a fan of:
Jane Weaver
Julia Holter
Grimes
Janelle Monae
FKA Twigs

advertisement

Back