advertisement

All purpose football thread 2023/24 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappointing to see both Arsenal & City players over reacting to challenges.
That said Kovacic should be off - studs up from behind and every bit as bad, if not worse, than the recent Curtis Jones & Malo Gusto reds.

That said Kovacic should be off - studs up from behind and every bit as bad, if not worse, than the recent Curtis Jones & Malo Gusto reds.
I wouldn't have complained at a red, but thought that a yellow was probably correct. The second foul is utter stupidity given already having a yellow. I would take him off now, even though we are desperately short in his position. A poor game, so far. It looks like the game is being 'managed' by both managers. I echo your thoughts on player reactions - it seems like if you go down, you get a free kick, and that is why they do it.

That did look like it should have been a second yellow for him.

Ref bottled it?

Arsenal City game seemed flat until the deflected goal. Thought it would have been more entertaining.

Arsenal City game seemed flat until the deflected goal. Thought it would have been more entertaining.
I think they'd both settled for a draw almost from the 1st minute. The guy doing the editing for MOTD tonight will have his work cut out.

A poor game and a poor result from my team. As I predicted a couple of weeks ago, this was always going to be a difficult period, and we now have lost three straight - the first time for a long, long time. The loss of Rodri has hurt us badly because of the other injuries in the team: Bernardo, KDB, Stones and Grealish have all been out and the new players have not yet settled in. We were fortunate to begin the season with the opposition we did, and our position was a false one. I think we will be there at the end of the year, but this will be a tough year for us, as it is always difficult to go again after such a successful period. I should note that this game was not only lost by City though, but also won by Arsenal, who are a tough, exciting (if not today) tactically astute young team and opponent. The typical commentary, seemingly utterly desperate for an Arsenal win is as nauseating as predictable for a City fan. There's a lot of work for Pep to do but, thankfully, Rodri is now back, as is Stones, and they are pivotal to our team.

Bottling it would have been giving it, in the face of Arteta's appeal and the baying of the crowd.
That suggests to me that you didn't think it was a challenge worthy of a second yellow in which case we'll have to agree to differ. I'm sure if the boot had been on the other foot you'd have been on here asking how the player got away with it.

That suggests to me that you didn't think it was a challenge worthy of a second yellow in which case we'll have to agree to differ. I'm sure if the boot had been on the other foot you'd have been on here asking how the player got away with it.
Just semantics really. I think it would have been easier to give it, so bottling it by not doing so doesn't fit, IMO. I'd have no complaints if it was given.

Just semantics really. I think it would have been easier to give it, so bottling it by not doing so doesn't fit, IMO. I'd have no complaints if it was given.
At least the league looks like it could be more interesting this season - The way City started off I thought there was a danger that they would completely run away with it - of course they still might.:)

The officiating in our match vs Newcastle today was equally abysmal to be honest.
Heard that - Bruno lucky not to go (not for the first time either; as I've said before he needs to get a hold on his emotions at times) and the free kick for our first goal given the wrong way?
I was desperate for a point at HT but disappointed to concede late again.
Isak hit the post at 1-2 but there was a save from Bowen by Pope at the death and a very good point in the end.

At least the league looks like it could be more interesting this season - The way City started off I thought there was a danger that they would completely run away with it - of course they still might.:)
It is Pep's choice to run with a small squad. It is fine, in normal circumstances, but the loss of the group of senior players, all from the midfield, was always going to be an issue against the top teams, as I recently pointed out. Fortunately, all apart from KDB now appear to be back. Such a shame the borefest of the next two weeks is upon us. Another good performance from Cole, I see.

Heard that - Bruno lucky not to go (not for the first time either; as I've said before he needs to get a hold on his emotions at times) and the free kick for our first goal given the wrong way?
I was desperate for a point at HT but disappointed to concede late again.
Isaak hit the post at 1-2 but there was a save from Bowen by Pope at the death and a very good point in the end.
A point was about right I think, Newcastle had us on the ropes for a good half hour in the second half although we did finish quite strongly.

The referee was bad for both sides, his decision making was puzzling at times....No consistency at all.

Good game at the Amex today. Result could have gone either way so a draw seems fair.

Baleba looked good on his full debut. Caicedwho?
yes. I thought a point was fair. Both teams led. Both teams missed an open goal. Cracking game to watch. And bathed in sunshine for the whole game. Have to say, I quite like the 2pm kick offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back