advertisement

All purpose football thread 20-21 season II

Just looked at the City red card again and there isn’t even a foul, let alone a red card. In defence of the ref, once Cancelo misjudged the ball, he always looked like he was going to give away the foul, but surely VAR should suggest a second look.

But in a much more important game quite how Mike Jasper Carrot Dean didn’t see the penalty on Werner is a mystery, and how VAR could not see a transparently clear and a totally fooking obvious error is mind boggling

What is mind boggling is that VAR has now been in use in the PL for 2 seasons and it's still an absolute mess because of the woeful way in which it is being implemented.
How long would it have taken Marriner to watch a replay of the Werner incident and inform JC that he needs to stop the game and go and have another look on the pitchside monitor?
If that is not deemed as a clear and obvious error then one can only conclude that the officials just don't understand the game or the rules.
Needless to say all this will be swept under the carpet along with all the other cock ups and football will become more and more unwatchable & joyless.

He said John Moss (VAR) watched the video and thought the attacker was denied a potential goal scoring opportunity and thus a red card which was the on pitch decision... these things by their nature are always controversial, especially to the offending side ... I’d rather give credit to Brighton who came from 2-0 down to claim a win and they’ve had little rub of the green with VAR this season. As for the offside rule now don’t get me started

They are a good, well coached team and I like them. The officiating was shambolic, however, and key decisions were unanimously in favour of the home team.

Just looked at the City red card again and there isn’t even a foul, let alone a red card. In defence of the ref, once Cancelo misjudged the ball, he always looked like he was going to give away the foul, but surely VAR should suggest a second look.

But in a much more important game quite how Mike Jasper Carrot Dean didn’t see the penalty on Werner is a mystery, and how VAR could not see a transparently clear and a totally fooking obvious error is mind boggling
VAR confirmed the decision which makes it beyond questionable. The foul on Gundogan that eventually led to his substitution was also a red, in my view.

Some poor refereeing and decisions in all the matches I watched on last night's MOTD. Why wasn't Bamford given a penalty when he tried to stay on his feet and clearly denied a chance to score?

Not all of yesterday's referring decisions were poor.

Is Werner now top of the League's disallowed goals table? Hopefully he will come good in the CLF.

@seagull how was your evening out ?:)

Bloomin' marvellous. It was football, but not as I remembered it.

Easy journey down there despite traffic on the M25
Seagull jr was driving so I was looking forward to a pint of Harveys.

When we got to the stadium it was like a ghost town. Very wierd, no beer though :(

We did get some award winning pies though.

In the stadium it was eerily empty but our 7945 fans made a good racket.

The game broke out and City scored in the second minute so we thought "here we go again, this will harm our goal difference".

The red card? Well I only saw it once, in real time, from my seat in the West Stand. Obviously it was the correct decision as it was Welbeck who was through on goal. Our other strikers would have missed anyway so it would have been harsh.

0-2 good goal by Foden.

1-2 excellent goal from Trossard, who had replaced Welbeck.

2-2 Webster, towering header from open play.

3-2:Burn. Big Dan Burn. With his right foot too! That was from open play too though what he was doing in their penalty area he alone knows.

We held on to the end, we had a penalty appeal turned down. No last minute equaliser!

Good journey home, we got out of the carpark at the university quite quickly, motorways were empty.

It must have been a dream. I had to check the score this morning.

It wasn't \o/

On a different note, the Chelsea/Leicester fight was fun. I'm always fascinated by how other players react. Usually one or two come to "help" their team mate, then some others try to wrestle away an opposition player, then some more run up and pile in, and eventually someone a bit cooler tries to remove their own team mates, Caspar this time. It's even better when the coaching staff join in. And the ref backs off and watches it.
Best bit of the match. :D

On a different note, the Chelsea/Leicester fight was fun. I'm always fascinated by how other players react. Usually one or two come to "help" their team mate, then some others try to wrestle away an opposition player, then some more run up and pile in, and eventually someone a bit cooler tries to remove their own team mates, Caspar this time. It's even better when the coaching staff join in. And the ref backs off and watches it.
Best bit of the match. :D

I listened to the first half of the Chelsea/Leicester match on 5Live while making the tea and it was disappointing but probably predictable to hear booing from more than a few Chelsea fans as the players took a knee. Thankfully those few were drowned out by the majority who applauded and drowned them out.

Watching MOTD, they made no reference to it while clipping the booing out at the same time. At first I was annoyed about this but then I thought they might not want to give the idiots the airtime and exposure they wanted.

Such a shame that of the few who were lucky to be back in the stadium last night, those booing idiots just wanted to make their own small minded point.

VAR confirmed the decision which makes it beyond questionable. The foul on Gundogan that eventually led to his substitution was also a red, in my view.
I’ve seen them given but again VAR checked it and confirmed the defenders leg was bent so little force in the tackle. There was a match saving tackle by Lallana on Jesus too

I’ve seen them given but again VAR checked it and confirmed the defenders leg was bent so little force in the tackle. There was a match saving tackle by Lallana on Jesus too

Yeah, I'd be fine with a set of studs planted in my knee so long as the other guy had his leg slightly bent. Studs up is studs up and it should've been a Red card.

But it was reviewed, blame the interpretation not the ref - in the last couple of weeks half have been given and half not - so inconsistent

But it was reviewed, blame the interpretation not the ref - in the last couple of weeks half have been given and half not - so inconsistent

Those are the tackles that can put players out for a season or worse. If the ref can't see that, then he's either never played the game or has no idea about the tackles that can do real harm. I'm not interested in VAR reviews when I see that kind of thing.

Well that’s a different argument- clearly ex pros should be the refs but they’d demand a great deal more reward

I listened to the first half of the Chelsea/Leicester match on 5Live while making the tea and it was disappointing but probably predictable to hear booing from more than a few Chelsea fans as the players took a knee. Thankfully those few were drowned out by the majority who applauded and drowned them out.

Watching MOTD, they made no reference to it while clipping the booing out at the same time. At first I was annoyed about this but then I thought they might not want to give the idiots the airtime and exposure they wanted.

Such a shame that of the few who were lucky to be back in the stadium last night, those booing idiots just wanted to make their own small minded point.
Missed the booing on live TV, utterly deplorable.

Some booing at Burnley/Liverpool too. Mane got the same treatment every time he was on the ball.
While I disapprove of the booing, and the taking of the knee was an important movement, if it just stays as it is with nothing added to take it forward except the same recorded message, it is in danger of becoming a another ritual rather than a significant reminder

advertisement

Back